1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Race for LeBron will end in Toronto ?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Looogie, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Looogie

Looogie Member

Taken from CNNSI- The Race for LeBron Section:

The Toronto Raptors announced that Vince Carter will be out for three more weeks, and one had to wonder if Raps GM Glen Grunwald was secretly doing cartwheels while shouting, "We're in it to win it!" from his rooftop. Without Carter the Raptors lost 12 straight before winning Sunday, and most weren't even close. With the Nuggets inexplicably winning games and the Cavs showing an occasional pulse, it's looking more and more possible that LeBron James could end up north of the border.

With the Raptors on pace for most injuries in NBA History, what are everyone's thoughts on LeBron possibly playing in Toronto ?

2. bajabill

bajabill Member

You would think TOR, above anyone else, would be sick and tired of chasing the next MJ.....If they got the pick, if Milicic is in the draft.....that would be my pick...now, if #2 would give up their pick and sweeten the pot with something additional, just to get James.....that would be heaven.

3. dn1282

dn1282 Member

is milicic even available for the draft? He'll still only be 17 by then right? Has Stern said anything new about the issue?

4. Looogie

Looogie Member

Its highly unlikely Darko will be able to declare for the draft. The players' Union doesn't seem to want to challenge the NBA on the issue since its in black and white in the CBA. Plus he's a European kid and with all the Vets getting squeezed out of the NBA due to the Luxury tax, I doubt it happens.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I dont think a team would give up the chance to get Lebron right now. There will be people saying "try this" but just like Yao Ming the team with the first pick will end up doing the right thing.

6. adrian

adrian Member

The team with the worst record really never ends up with the #1 pick, so Toronto should just play and see if the balls bounce their way in the NBA Draft Lottery. Times like this make me appreciate so much more the gift the Rockets recieved this summer in a 7'5'' legend in the making.

Adrian

7. carayip

carayip Member

Well the last 2 big prizes (Duncan and Yao) all go to teams with a season injuried player (DRob and Francis). You never know, history may just repeats itself again.

Maybe Vince needs to borrow Steve's lucky suit! :D

8. drapg

drapg Member

I'm sure conspiracy theorists believe the fix is in for either NYK (for obvious reasons) or for the Raptors, just to prove that the NBA can succeed in Canada.

9. Looogie

Looogie Member

Raptors roster right now:

Starters:

Alvin Williams, Morris Peterson, Jerome Williams, Antonio Davis, Jelani McCoy

Alvin is playing injured, Jerome will require season ending surgery once his elbow locks up again. AD is coming off a knee injury and McCoy just sucks.

Bench:

Rafer Alston, Damone Brown, Art Long.

All 3 are on 10-day contracts.

Injured "List":

Vince Carter
    Lamond Murray
    Lindsey Hunter
    Michael Bradley
    Voshon Lenard
    Chris Jefferies
    Nate Huffman
    Eric Montross
    Mamadou N'diaye
    Hakeem Olajuwon (Counts since he had to 'retire' due to injury)

Pretty brutal huh ?

10. LLJ

LLJ Member

I'm not sure I, as a Raptor fan, would want Lebron. What we need is a really good big man.

However, Lebron would be my second choice after the best big man in the draft. Maybe it'll be Darko. I don't know.

11. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

IMHO, the guy I'd be hoping to land if I'm the Raptors is Carmelo Anthony...