1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The R.E.S.P.E.C.T is gone!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, Jan 2, 2022.

1. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

You’re right. JVG starting 5 would be Theis, Gordon, Augustin + two random guys who played on the Knicks in the 90s.

JVG definitely signing Charles Oakley and Mark Jackson to 10-days if he became head coach.

aaquaa, napalm06, Ramo$e and 2 others like this.
  2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I disagree. Since when did a “loud voice” meant better coaching? When did this demand respect? Does meekness equate weakness? Is Steve Kerr a loud voice? Is Nick Nurse of this kind of authoritarian figure you seem to want? The answer simply is no. These successful coaches of today like the aforementioned ones have a collaborative style. They are likable and they respect the players opinions and thoughts. Nothing about Silas says he doesn’t do this. Players are millennials and centennials and much like their corporate counterparts don’t respond to that in your face stern nonsense anymore. And by the way the reports said KPJ went after Lucas not Silas. And this happened after Lucas was vocal and calling him out. So the answer isn’t this Bobby Knight figure. The answer is releasing KPJ and trading Wood since they need to learn to deal with their emotions the hard way. Hopefully they will grow and become better human beings. But not with us.

dmoneybangbang and napalm06 like this.
  3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

He was dealt a bad hand from the start... But I agree he's not the right coach for these youngins... His Dungy style personality doesn't work with knuckleheads... Basketball is full of entitled divas.. You need mid-aged disciplinarians for these youngsters, especially this generation of kiddos... There's not many that can balance structure with being able to be relatable

PeterKingX likes this.
  4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Kerr, Frank Vogel, and Nick Nurse aren’t aggressive in your face types and they won championships.

harold bingo likes this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

JVG is too old school. He would piss off the kids and be pissed off by them.

aaquaa and javal_lon like this.
  6. TimDuncanDonaut

Collaborative / modern style of coaching is fine, but it goes both ways. The millennials and centennials can't be throwing chairs, leaving mid game, or in Wood's case, miss work (late for covid test), not sub in because he didn't feel like it. How are these guys demand respect when they don't give it.

If the team allows the opponent to drop 47 points on you in a quarter, at home... if that's not a time to get called out, I don't know what is.

Playing in a Rockets uniform or in the NBA in general is a privilege. Rockets will be honoring Worrell at halftime, Jan 7th game. These players best be on their best behaviors and not pull any of these shenanigans.

7. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Agreed but those teams were already playoff squads before they each got there and were each led by phenoms ... And being petty, Kerr and Vogel ain't coach a damn thing... lol

aaquaa likes this.
  8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I think JVG would throw way more **** than KPJ ever would

aaquaa and Easy like this.
  9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Don’t think he makes it through the season. His recent performance against, believe it or not, worse teams due to Covid has sealed his fate. Hopefully they keep him in the organization like they did with Bullard as he seems like a good dude…just not an NBA head coach.

aaquaa likes this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

javal_lon likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

I don’t think the game has passed JVG… as you can tell from his commentary or his podcasts. I think culturally, the league has passed him by.

Nook, htownrox1 and aaquaa like this.
  12. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Those three all have huge records of success. No such record exists for Silas (26-92).

htownrox1, aaquaa and javal_lon like this.
  13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

You are missing the point. I responded to the post that advocated a “disciplinarian” style to coaching for young players. I cited 3 coaches who don’t have disciplinarian styles yet have been successful in this league countering this concept that being harsh or stern equates success. This isn’t a discussion on Silas’ coaching record or whether the team is winning. There’s hundreds of posts and threads already about this.

harold bingo likes this.
  14. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

- Kerr has 4 rings as a player & 3 more as a head coach. That alone commands respect, not to mention the Olympic Games gold medal and the World Cup. He even won a 3-pt contest.
    The team he had was so good, they thrived even under Luke F.ing Walton.
    - Vogel didn't win; he rode LeBron to a championship. His deference to LeBron was what kept him in that seat.
    - Nurse didn't win. He had Masai Ujiri as GM who put together a wonderful team around Kawhi for him.

15. Rokman

Rokman Member

I could be down with Cassell. Fill out his Assistant coaches with: Mario Elie, Vernon Maxwell, John Lucas & Calvin Murphy

If you don't hustle with those guys up your ass you shouldn't be allowed to play ball anywhere. Could you imagine how over the top those coaches would be during practice?

aaquaa likes this.
  16. NewAge

NewAge Member

you don’t have to be a drill sergeant to demand respect. All you need in a coach is to put the team in a position to be productive and to succeed, and players will respect you.

Losing and being bad is cancer. Some people here are giddy about it - high lottery probs, learning on the job, etc. I am in the camp that says losing is debilitating, it destroys the organization.

No system, non-functioning lineups, no accountability for poor play - that’s the result that follows. No excuses for the two players, but what happened was entirely predictable and unsurprising. These are the two competitive guys that are extension-eligible. Their spirit and their earning potential is being destroyed by how terrible the team plays. The constant losing and the team being horrible puts an enourmous emotional stress, and the two weakest links snapped.

We need a coach that maximizes the talent we have and respect will follow.

Richie_Rich, htownrox1 and aaquaa like this.
  17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Silas is a good ASSISTANT coach but he is not a Head Coach and I know that is the problem. This team has talent and I think the players are tired of losing,

This is why I never agree with TANKING because the long term effects can be detrimental to team building. Some teams never bounce back! I keep singling out Sacramento, Orlando and Minnesota.

Also, going with (4) 19yr old players was a very risky move and then you have (2) more draft picks this yr too......that's too many young players.

aaquaa likes this.
  18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

100% agree!

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Regardless of the rest of your post, Mark Jax is as bad an idea as coach as he was washed when he came here under JVG.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think he would be just fine with Sengun, Green, Christopher, Garuba, KJ Martin, Theis, Mathews, Brooks, Nix (and with Gordon, if still here).

The only two problematic ones should be gone before JVG arrives.

• Cut or trade KPJ
    • Trade Wood
    • Trade Wall
    • Trade Gordon
    • Hire JVG