1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The question of trump immunity

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Dec 24, 2023.

1. quaczar

quaczar Member

Bingo. It's fascinating to see how quickly these kinds of narratives will take hold. They've already deluded themselves into thinking they're living under some oppressive regime when Democrats are in office. When actual fascism is the norm it will be an easy adjustment for them.

It's always projection with these people. And they eat it up every single time.

2. HTM

HTM Member

I haven't stated anything conspiratorial. It's not even possible for a reasonable person to read that into what I stated. You're attributing statements to me I didn't make.... that goes on here constantly... which makes is impossible to have any kind of reasonable discussion.

You people are unreal.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump terrorism isn't a figure of imagination. He's a criminal seeking vengeance, and has evil intentions that will make the inciting of hate filled radicals on Jan 6th seem like the test trial. Not even the laws of justice can stop him now if he can save himself by immunity. He will get worse. He feels invincible.

ROCKSS likes this.
  4. edwardc

edwardc Member

Those a**holes have no integrity or balls at this point i think anyone that is following 45 needs to have there head checked .

Andre0087 and deb4rockets like this.
  5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

He doesn’t. That’s the point.

It is entirely acceptable to say the issue of presidential immunity weighs (1) the desire to allow a president to make difficult decisions in the country’s interest without fear of repercussions, against (2) creating conditions that allow a president to commit crimes with impunity. Some people think the former is more important than the latter. Others think the latter is of paramount importance.

But then you have Trumpers who give an incomprehensible, unprincipled word salad in defense of the ruling because of “lawfare” and other idiotic notions fed by Fox News and Trump.

Trump and MAGA have made it impossible to have reasoned discourse and to govern in this country because it is acceptable (actually encouraged and rewarded) to be obtuse, stupid, ignore facts, science and law. Just say sh-t and say it loudly.

Andre0087 likes this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Not serious people, not a serious party. Just a gang of ever-escalating evil

7. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

It won't happen because Trump wants to be the "best" at everything. "Only the best criminals!"

Amiga and B-Bob like this.
  8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

The only solace I get is, in less than 10 years Trump will be 6 feet under ground and burning in hell next to Rush Limbaugh. Keep eating those big macs Trump!

Andre0087 likes this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Okay. Sorry if I misunderstood.

10. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Thanks to the maga supreme court, felonies like fraud are now considered official duties of a presidential candidate and thus covered by presidential immunity.

ROCKSS likes this.
  12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This is pearl clutching at its finest.

Packaging conservative ring wingnut nonsense is not an entry into reasonable discussion.

If you are truly interested in reasonable discussion, which I doubt, stop posting partisan talking points.

Andre0087 likes this.
  13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That would be opening the doors to corruption if Presidential candidates can commit all the felonies they want to during Presidential campaigns. Can they offer bribes for money? Can they sell secrets to foreign leaders? Can they share top secret material to the highest bidder? Can they bribe their party to insert fake electors? Can they bribe their party to refuse to accept the election results? Can they use campaign money for their personal businesses and lifestyle? Can they accept millions from foreign leaders in exchange for promised policies? It's a scary thought if they considered all that under an immunity umbrella.

14. HTM

HTM Member

You don't think the Democratic establishment is in crisis mode right now?

Are you living on planet earth?

15. Nook

Nook Member

Yes - and we are seeing that the uber powerful also have figured out that they can pull long term transfers of wealth from the middle and upper middle class as well. Home ownership is a perfect example of this. Why sell homes to the middle class when you can instead have them rent from you in perpetuity until they die and leave nothing to spouses or off spring, who must in turn do the same thing.

This is something that both parties have pursued at different points in time.

This whole thing is headed towards a lot of chaos, from the ideas of currency - to the idea of what is a job, what and who decides the allocation of assets. The entire system is set up now to have some possibly asymmetrical outcomes while everyone is too busy fighting over splinter issues that really don't matter.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Both parties have been in crisis mode more often the last 8 years than they had in the prior 70 years,

The Republicans looked sunk when they nominated Trump, then they looked sunk when Trump lost, then when the storming of the Capitol they looked like toast - same with Charlottesville.

The Democrats looked screwed when Hillary Clinton lost - then they looked boned after the midterms - then they looked finished after the first Presidential debate in 2024.

What the last 8-12 years has taught me is that both parties are surprisingly resilient and can typically bounce back.

For example - whatever party wins the White House in 2024 are VERY unlikely to win in in 2028 because BOTH of these candidates are tired and hated. People will be VERY ready for change, and the party out of the White House will have time to plan and adjust.

Short of the system being so compromised with the enormous expansion of Executive power - the Democrats and Republicans will be fine for the time being.

ROCKSS likes this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, the Republican playbook is more obvious about it, but the odds were always stacked since Clinton. Obama's cabinet was mostly hand picked by banks like Citigroup before he even won.

Maybe there will be a reset like what happened a 100 years ago with FDR. The New Deal was incredibly unpopular for business to the point that they fomented a fascist plot to overthrow him. Was the New Deal an asymmetrical outcome at the time?

The Wall Street Putsch wasn't successful then, but I don't see them needing one now.

Andre0087 likes this.
  18. adoo

adoo Member

i think the author was referring to the Treasury dept, not all the cabinets

any way, why just single out Obama?

can you name one post-WW2 POTUS that that did not hire Wall Street folks to the Treasury dept, and nor the Fed?

JFK had his Doug Dillon
    LBJ had his Henry Fowler
    Nixon had his william simon
    Reagan had his Don Regan
    Bush Sr had his Nick Brady
    Clinton had his Robert Rubin
    Bush Jr had his Henry Paulson
    Trump had his Steven Mnuchin​

#578 adoo, Jul 2, 2024 at 3:55 PM
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2024 at 4:05 PM
  19. HTM

HTM Member

Perhaps but you understand I'm speaking in the short term context of the last week - 10 days.

Democratic politicians/donors/media etc etc are all in a crisis mode directly associated with the Presidential debate.

Whether they are in a larger/longer term crisis spanning back 8 years wasn't really what the topic at hand was about.

20. edwardc

edwardc Member

Correct me if i'm wrong but when those crimes were committed he wasn't president so that shouldn't apply here right.