1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The question of trump immunity

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Dec 24, 2023.

1. Salvy

Salvy Member

I mean, at this point does it really matter who runs for Democrats? Its going to be MSNBC and their mainstream media machine against Trump, as long as they keep up the energy on social media of spreading lies about Trump and calling him racist I think a Biden on the ballot will get tons of votes. Judging by Joe Biden its not necessary for a person to be competent to be president or run the country anymore. Democrats will get to continue running the show in the event that Hunter wins.

2. Salvy

Salvy Member

3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I think there does need to be some immunity for the President. Otherwise Obama could be indicted for executing an American citizen with a drone strike in Yemen. No charges. No trial. No conviction. No 6th Amendment protection. Just straight to an execution on a President's order. The ACLU filed a lawsuit over this.

So yes I believe a President should have some immunity, but there has to be a line and it makes it such a mess to try and draw that line especially if the President is accused of trying to overthrow the government. It's a $hitshow.

Nook, Invisible Fan and Amiga like this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

yes, as of today

5. edwardc

edwardc Member

Ok you say that the so called mainstrream media machine has been lying about 45 what lie have they told asking for a friend.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm married to one. Careful what you wish for

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

SCOTUS just said it was okay. What's with all the pearl-clutching?

Sure. I agree. And at first I wasn't surprised or unhappy that SCOTUS would declare immunity for official acts. I'm just mad they threw such a wide cushion around those official acts. I think they've turned the risk mitigation in gray areas in the wrong direction. When there is ambiguity, it should be the ex-president who pays, not the country.

Earlier I flippantly suggested packing the court. But, I'm not really flip about it. I think SCOTUS is a bigger threat to this country than Trump. Apart from some official act (which I don't condone), packing the court is the only recourse. Too bad Biden didn't do it at the start of his Admin.

edwardc, Andre0087 and Amiga like this.
  8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Judge Luttig's reaction...

Nook likes this.
  9. NewRoxFan

I was opposed to the idea of "packing the court." Now... I don't care what impact this would have. Perhaps the only solution to the current maga supreme court is each new president adding more and more judges which in itself neuters the supreme court.

JuanValdez likes this.
  10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

says the felon who undermined our constitution and democracy and incited an insurrection against his own government.

11. NewRoxFan

But apparently, did so legally as "official acts" according to the maga supreme court...

12. NewRoxFan

I bet the senators were rolling their eyes when he lied about this back then...

ROCKSS likes this.
  13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

the difference is that obama ordering a drone strike would fall w/in the realm of acting in his official capacity as president. trump lying for months (now years) about the election being stolen, giving a rally to his supporters in front of the white house and inciting them to attack our nations capitol was not part of his official duties and no rational person could make that argument.

14. edwardc

edwardc Member

So with that being said does it give them immunity from being called before congress for all the gifts and trips that they have recieved.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Seems like President Trump could redo Watergate and get away with it if he was the one who broke into the hotel despite 24/7 camera and drone coverage. Getting Eric to do it with pantyhose over his head will only make him fess up to everything after a not-so-smooth pardon.

Oh Wait...it's up to Congress to convict the wize gai.

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Well, if offered today, Nixon would have no incentive to accept his pardon.

Nook, DaDakota and Amiga like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

This - this is absolutely what we did.

Right now Trump supporters are celebrating - but this ruling goes well beyond Donald Trump and Jan 6th or whatever financial crimes he committed. This ruling will apply to future President's, and that includes very liberal ones...... there is no way to know who will benefit from this the most.... but the expansion of the executive branch continues at break neck speed since 9-11.

ROCKSS likes this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

They're banking on there not ever beign any future presidents that they don't approve of - that's the point of the authoritarian political project that is the heart of the modern "conservative" movement.

This has been lurking there for awhile and ultimately what it was all about - power over ideology.

ROCKSS, Andre0087 and Nook like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

We are setting ourselves up for a dictator.

Everyone on the left is concerned and believes it is Trump - but it is most likely someone that no expects that hasn't even ran yet.

There are no more absolutes or institutional integrities that the people expect to be sacred. Want to pack the Court? Why not, the case can be heard once the Supreme Court has 25 members that rule the way the President wants. Want to delay elections? Sure -

20. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed - that is certainly what they are banking on, whether that be through one party or possibly two - but it does leave the door open for a situation where a President, once in power can do as he wishes, even at the expense of the other leaders in government. The public has shown they will tolerate it.