1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The problem of Steve and the Rockets so far...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Likemike33, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Likemike33

Likemike33 Member

I think the biggest problem so far this year with the Rockets is that Jeff is not utilizing Francis strength with the new offense. Steve is slasher, cutter simply scorer. It seems that by giving the ball to Yao in the post takes away to much time in the shot clock as result too many rush shots result in to misses. With Yao being unconsistent with the ball, Jeff needs to concentrate more on the Rocket guard and let them create him some shots since Yao ain't aggressive yet. I think that will also help yao to concentrate more on rebounds and defense while he can score in put backs or when his wide open. I think that is what this team needs to do. They need to focus more on Francis and the cat till yao is ready.

2. farhan007

farhan007 Member

the problem with Van Gundy is that he doesnt want to mix it up. I mean whats wrong with throwing in 4 or 5 isos for steve. Its really tragic knowing that steve is a great scorer, but van gundy just wants to waste his talent and make him a pure passing role-playing pg. Francis had a high ceiling untill van gundy showed up.

3. dn1282

dn1282 Member

what will everyone say when the Rocks make the playoffs this year?

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Francis takes the same percentage of the shots in our offense this year as he did last year (about 20%). The only difference is that he is not hitting his shots this year. Van Gundy has not made him into any more of a passing point guard than he has always been, and in fact has said that he wants Francis to shoot just as much as before, but with less dribbling. Actually, since he is averaging fewer minutes this season, he is taking a higher percentage of the Rox shots while he is on the floor. The only reason he shoots less FGA than last year is that the team takes fewer shots as a whole.