1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Privileged News] All defendants in the Oregon standoff found not guilty

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Oct 27, 2016.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

To be fair to the jury, they make the gun possession offense contingent on intent to commit a crime. They probably figured if the defendants weren't guilty of conspiracy, they didn't have intent to commit a crime to make the guns illegal. So, I'm looking more at the prosecutor for the charges he decided to bring and the instructions to the jury that he negotiated. Of course, I'm not a lawyer and I don't know ****. Still, it's amazing they blew this case.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sometimes they blow cases on purpose

Rocket River

3. JuanValdez

Probably true, but I really don't think so in this case. It looks to me like a huge embarrassment to the govt to lose this case. And I don't know why they'd put themselves through that to help some out-of-towners.

4. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

From a print article I read on the weekend, the defense was basically First and Second Amendment rights.

First Amendment re: occupation and gathering, Second re being armed. Exercising Second doesn't forfeit first. No shots fired, except by police. No one threatened or prevented from doing job. Since it was out in the boons, no threat to general public. I'm not big on Second Amendment so being armed to the teeth seems like a significant threat to me. But an Oregon jury saw it differently. Once you get about 100 miles east of Portland, Oregon can get pretty redneck.

The protester who did make a threatening move was shot by police.

I don't agree with the verdict. Seems most commentators don't. But that was the thinking.

robbie380 likes this.
  5. JuanValdez

Even the defense team sounded surprised that they won.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can definitely appreciate this. I was in a civil trial once where we were asked to determine if a person violated some terms in his home owners insurance policy that stated he needed to maintain residence in his home. Nevermind that little snippets of info that the prosecutor was able to get in to the testimony here and there made it pretty apparent that the guy burned down his own home just to get the insurance money. We weren't there to decide that, and based on the silly way the insurance policy was worded, we ended up deciding to give the dude his $150,000. But not a single one of us jurors felt that it was "right" or "justice."

Made me leave my first real interaction with our justice/court system with ashes in my mouth.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the summary of it

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If black people did this they'd all been shot and the right-wingers like bobbythefake here would be saying they deserved

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Bundy family are not thugs.

They are patriots and freedom fighters.

They don't pose an "imminent threat" that provokes a response of Deadly Force.

10. Buck Turgidson

The locals hated those guys and wanted them to just go away and take the tv cameras with them.

11. Buck Turgidson

hahahaha...fighting for what, in your estimation?

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was calling for them to be shot too....and suggesting that they would deserve it if it happened..... hell the one guy that DID get shot, I said that about. Of course that doesn't fit into your stupid little narrative and your goal of pimping out race based politics so I'm sure you won't be able to comprehend it.

Seriously, at some point do some work on yourself and try to become a better, or at least brighter person.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The Constitution...duh

14. hakeemthagreat

Lol. People so mad at BLM and Kaepernick. These Bundy thugs actually caused violence against law enforcement, threatened the US government, violently took over a government facility, yet NO CHARGES. I don't see any conservative, republican or Trump supporters calling them thugs or terrorist. These militia groups are more of a threat to this country than any black lives matter protest or football player taking a knee. The fools should've been thrown UNDER the jail

15. hakeemthagreat

[​IMG]

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

[​IMG]