1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The power of Points from the foul line.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by phantoman, Apr 19, 2010.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I feel you, but what happens when they front yao? What happensin the playoffs for those 25 mins they front yao? Yao is a vey effecient free throw shooter for sure, but the rockets haven't been a team that goes to the line alot nor score alot of points in the paint because they didn't have attck the rim types. Its funny this year the rockets actually scored more points in the paint than previous. You are correct it is foolish to think yao will play more than 25 minsa night when morey said they will ease him back in.

Mr. Clutch, the stars gets the call in the playoffs and by you using a r****ded whistle last night in the utah/denver game really proves my point. Every guy who got one of the 47 ft per team played more than 20 mins. Not only that, williams and anthony are superstars. Superstars get calls in the playoffs. Again, go look and see how many foul shots he attemopted last year in the playoffs.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The stars get the calls in the regular season too. Millsap is still not a star...

If there is a disparity, then why don't you use actual statistical evidence to back it up?

And Lowry averages over 20 mpg dude...

3. playlife

playlife Member

Last night's game utah - Denver

Denver: 37-44 FT
    UTAH: 36-47 FT

4. Mr. Clutch

Yep, you are right. Free throws are extremely important. Regular season or playoffs. :cool:

5. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

I believe the reason his percentage is so high is that his shooting percentage is just not good and he knows that so he does what he can to get to the line more than shooting the ball... In short lets say he has 4 FGA makes 1 for 2 points and hit 2 FTs a game for another 2 points you are getting 50% of your points from the FT line.... What should be impressive is when a guy has a high % of pts. from the FT line, but also scores a lot of points not at the line...

6. scottie brooks

Then why did carmelo get fouled out last night?? I guess if the refs read your detailed statistical argument, the nugs may have taken game 2.

FACE! Oooooohh I hope that didn't sting to much

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Tell that to Dwyane Wade. I used to think refs swallowed their whistle in the playoffs too. The truth is that they will call fouls all game long.

8. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

I think this is the trend that is starting to happen now. It wasnt there the last few years. I wonder if the whole refree betting scandal had anything to do with this. Greater transparency prehaps.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Not if you're San Antonio or Dwayne Wade. They won championships off of whistles being blown.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Missed this post before I posted.

Refs are very strange in the NBA in that their calls seem to pile up for certain players. It happens for the Rockets as well... tons for certain guys, none for others.

11. phantoman

Refs are really strange... i noticed that towards the end of the season, we got less charges called for us. Am I the only one that noticed that? Or maybe i am just being biased....

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

No effective way of stopping the team you mean. Yao's easily beaten in the 4rth by fronting

13. Mr. Clutch

I was actually being sarcastic. In another thread DD and leebs were saying Kyle Lowry sucks in the playoffs because refs don't call as many fouls in the playoffs.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yao is not a jump shooter. Dirk is a jump shooter. Brad Miller is a jump shooter. Okur is a jump shooter. JVG made Yao a classic back-to-the-basket center. Yao doesn't get his fair share of foul calls because he doesn't flop. Imagine if Yao flopped like Dirk, how many more fts he would have shot.

15. phantoman

I agree with this, this is why shaq respects yao so much too.

16. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

In the final minutes of a playoff game, you only get foul calls if you are a big ticket player or it was so blatant, the refs can't ignore the call.

But real talk, if a good chunk of your points come from the foul line, you are screwed unless you are a Dwight Howard or Kobe.