1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The "Portland Sucks!" chant has got to go...where's our class?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tonyrox, Apr 27, 2009.

1. tonyrox

tonyrox Member

These last two games at home have been excellent! Both times we came away with the win and both times the whole crowd got into the game. The only embarassing and unfortunate moments have come when the fans resort to grade school taunts. Its so uncouth, we're better than that...aren't we?

I'm sure we can come up with something slightly less idiotic before LA gets here (or Portland comes back), right?

2. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Who care. Portland does suck!!! They don't belong in the Arena. They're our enemies. They're evil. They're what you called Porkland.

3. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

its a part of the game.

during the lakers-jazz game [game 1 i think] lakers fans were chanting Utah sucks. I don't see why we cant? :confused:

4. tonyrox

tonyrox Member

My roommate is an LA fan and he just informed me that it may not be long before we're doing the "Kobe sucks" chant. Apparently every team that isn't LA does that one. I guess its pointless :rolleyes:

5. Bamushake

Bamushake Member

dude this isn't diplomatic, I could care less if Portland started chanting "Houston sucks"

6. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Unless its Utah or Dallas I don't like hearing it in a series that is still live. If we were up 30 with a minutes left in the game maybe I wouldn't care as much... I don't think of it as a class thing its pretty common in most sports... you love your team and dislike whoever they're playing. What bothers me is you have egg on your face if they come back to your house and take that game... and I don't like to piss off teams anymore than you have to just incase it makes them find another gear.

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

See I went to game 3 and a girl told me not chant Portland Sucks because it wasnt classy??? I can understand if we are using F-Bombs or S-Bombs but Portland Sucks is just a Chant and while we respect them doesn't mean we have to like them especially when Flopzilla takes a dive!!! :confused:

8. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Utah Sucks is the only appropriate one IMHO.

Pryzbilla Sucks would work, though

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

WTF?!?! Get a life. This is part of having a good homecourt.

10. ibm

ibm Member

houston fans as a whole have no right to talk about class (i know i am part of the fan base). the 3rd quarter was quiet last night when we were playing badly. and you know how empty those front row seats have been for like ever. 2 minutes from the end of the game, many people will start to leave. reasons why i don't go to the arena that often now.

11. Pringles

Pringles Member

Agree.

Blazers sucks is fine by me. But I was never a fan of "[Insert City's/State's Name] Sucks!" chants.

Though, Dallas and Utah are exceptions.

12. jamescar

jamescar Member

I agree, the chanting is just stupid and makes Houston look bad.

13. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

I'll have to agree with the OP. My feelings for the Blazers hardly compare to the hatred toward the Jazz. The Blazers are good competitors, while on the other hand Utah is a disgrace to basketball.

Another reason... many arenas this year have started using the same chant for their playoff series. If Houston fans are gonna chant something, it should be something original.

14. Ashes

Ashes Member

How about: "Portland is a respectable opponent, but we don't care too much for them since we are playing them!"

Kind of catchy.

15. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

You old, sensitive ass, wannabe fans suck.

How about that?

16. blacktopKING

blacktopKING Member

I second this motion.

17. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

OP you're too sensitive

18. tonyrox

tonyrox Member

I'm not saying that we shouldn't take advantage of home-court. These last two home games were deafening at times! But we all know Portland does not suck, they have a good amount of talent and for the most part they (and their fans) seem somewhat respectable. Utah on the other hand is the epitome of suckage.

19. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

how about we chant Utah Sucks in the next home game either against blazers or lakers?

20. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

I'm not saying the fans aren't chanting it, but I was at both playoff games and honestly didn't hear that cheer at all.