1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Paula Deen N-word controversy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Jun 22, 2013.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

This is really good information and a high quality post. Repped.

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Exactly what I have been saying.

3. giddyup

giddyup Member

Rich.

Anyone knows there were more white citizens than black citizens. That's why the whole blaming the victim argument from FranchiseBlade is ludicrous.

Not sure where you got your figures but the stuff I read reported that here in NC alone there were 10 "Negroes" who each owned ~80 slaves and there were some few who owned hundreds. Maybe they did buy up their entire extended family but with those numbers it seems improbable. That wouldn't prevent them from buying friends, etc.

Your confusion is stemming from the fact that I assigned no interpretation to the numbers; FB did that for me-- even though I didn't ask nor do I approve of his rationale. He likes to put words in the mouths of those he disagrees with.

All I pointed up was multi-sourced research which indicated that this was a reality.

Within the race, 28% is astounding. Cut it in half and it is still very significant. Cut it in half again and it still exceeds the participation rate of whites.

#163 giddyup, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  4. gifford1967

gifford1967 Member
    Supporting Member

Please post your source for this.

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

It doesn't matter it is irrelevant. Even if it were, the stats from that era are greatly affected by revisionist history writers.

6. itstheyear3030

I'm confused? :rolleyes: I'm not taking sides in this pointless argument; just providing some perspective. I happen to think the "blaming the victim" response is somewhat misguided. However, just putting the numbers out there for shock value is not "assigning no interpretation." You clearly had an implied message in mind when you failed to clearly explain the issue or why you decided to bring it up.

Of course there outliers who owned many slaves and people who owned slaves for the economic benefits among black slave owners, but look up any article on JSTOR or other journal repository and it'll tell you that the numbers are inconclusive, misleading, and lead to the conclusion that a significant portion of black slave owners were only owners in name. I did a less then 10 minute search and found several such articles.

It's easy to achieve a comparably low percentage when over half the white population lived in states where slavery was illegal and when many black families were forced into slave owning to protect their relatives.

7. giddyup

giddyup Member

8. giddyup

giddyup Member

I asserted the truth about slave ownership to counter the argument that it was just a white vs. black thing. My friend, FranchiseBlade, claimed that I was blaming the victims because some of their own kind had likewise participated in slave ownership.

This was explained in the very post in which I posted the numbers, I believe.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This thread is just more evidence of giddy logic. It's a shape shifting, quicksand type of logic.

10. giddyup

giddyup Member

Show me one thing that is illogical besides the ridiculous attempt to frame me for blaming blacks for slavery. :grin:

You guys/gals are good at name-calling but when I ask for hard evidence, I just get a bunch of dodges.

11. giddyup

giddyup Member

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Other aspects of the lawsuit, including sexual harassment and abusive treatment, are still pending.
    _____

Not all of them, but the idiot white woman's claim of racial discrimination is out because... she's not black.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Stay classy Paula.

Paula Deen abruptly shuts down restaurant, forgets to tell employees
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/paula-deen-abruptly-shuts-down-120000974.html

Uncle Bubba's Seafood and Oyster House — the home of Paula Deen's 2013 racism scandal — has closed its doors, and employees of the restaurant were the very last to know.

The Washington Post reports that those who showed up to their Thursday morning shift at the Savannah, GA eatery were met with locked doors. The Savannah Morning News reported that employees were collecting their severance checks in the parking lot.

The Facebook page of the eatery had just a simple message posted to the top of its fan page:

Commenters put the restaurant management on blast for not informing its employees of the decision to close before posting to social media and shutting the doors.

Deen co-owned Uncle Bubba’s with her brother, Bubba Heirs.

Deen made cringeworthy headlines when a former employee of Uncle Bubba’s filed a lawsuit claiming she had experienced sexual harassment and racial discrimination while working at the restaurant. In a deposition for the case, Deen admitted unapologetically that she’d used the N-word, which ended up costing her millions in lost endorsement deals.

A statement on Uncle Bubba's abrupt closing was posted to Facebook:

Since its opening in 2004, Uncle Bubba's Oyster House has been a destination for residents and tourists in Savannah, offering the region's freshest seafood and oysters. However, the restaurant's owner and operator, Bubba Heirs, has made the decision to close the restaurant in order to explore development options for the waterfront property on which the restaurant is located. At this point, no specific plans have been announced and a range of uses are under consideration in order realize the highest and best use for the property.

The closing is effective today, Thursday, April 3, 2014. Employees will be provided with severance based on position and tenure with the restaurant. All effort will be made to find employees comparable employment with other Savannah restaurant organizations.

— Jaret Keller, Deen Spokesperson

The Deen camp has not yet responded to Business Insider with comment.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Sucks for employees, but I think that's standard operating procedure in the restaurant industry, kind of like how scrubs in the NBA find out they've been traded by reading the newspaper.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

Whether the food network wants to fire or her not is their prerogative. They are running a business and it's their choice to protect their brand even if they don't think she is in the wrong.

But I think it's a shame that she is being attacked so viciously. She certainly lacks sensitivity, but she does not appear to be a racist. Rather she appears to be too honest in in sharing what's in her head and living in a bit of a distorted reality.

People can and do evolve. And this is a case where instead of vilifying her, someone who is sound to me to be misguided but well-intentioned, you miss the opportunity to educate and help society as a whole reach a higher place...instead you put people on the defensive.

She's not racist in the sense she is discriminating. She's just foolish in not realizing what might be offensive. Her desire to rewrite history under rosy colored lens doesn't stem from a desire to stereotype or discriminate, but rather to find a way to come to terms with her families past. While true that what she is doing is "white washing" to a large degree, and that's very sad in it's own right, she doesn't seem like a bad-intentioned person.

I don't think she genuinely understands what's going on here, and that's why I feel a bit sorry for her.

16. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Paula Deen faces backlash for sharing a photo of her son in brownface. <a href="http://t.co/rOBpYFvUZP">http://t.co/rOBpYFvUZP</a> <a href="http://t.co/4SbXO2RSKe">pic.twitter.com/4SbXO2RSKe</a></p>&mdash; EntertainmentTonight (@etnow) <a href="https://twitter.com/etnow/status/618530140457422848">July 7, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Paula Deen fires social media manager responsible for offensive tweet: <a href="http://t.co/DVUgVkXggS">http://t.co/DVUgVkXggS</a> <a href="http://t.co/V6Z89zDLlc">pic.twitter.com/V6Z89zDLlc</a></p>&mdash; Entertainment Weekly (@EW) <a href="https://twitter.com/EW/status/618517989013487616">July 7, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Duncan McDonuts

I'm outraged. Extremely outraged.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If that was supposed to be Arnaz, then it's weirdly unnecessary. If it was Obama or something, I don't know how offensive it is. That guy in the back, is he some actor or announcer, is he British?

19. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

when's the riots?