1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Paula Deen N-word controversy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Jun 22, 2013.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Member

So you're telling me that a 60+ year old southern bell has told and entertained racial jokes and said the N word at various times throughout her life?! ANNND, there's evidence that shows that she may still be racially insensitive?! :eek::eek::eek:

2. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

http://music.yahoo.com/news/celebrity-chef-paula-deen-appear-tvs-today-no-190933517.html

Deen, who has built a business empire based on high-calorie and fried Southern food with cookbooks, restaurants and kitchen supplies, made the comments in a deposition related to a racial and sexual discrimination lawsuit filed by a former employee.

The former employee of Paula Deen Enterprises, Lisa Jackson, is suing Deen and her brother, Earl "Bubba" Hiers, over allegations that while discussing plans for Hiers' 2007 wedding, Deen said she wanted a "true southern plantation-style wedding."

Jackson said that Deen used the slur in the discussion describing how she wanted an all-black wait staff for the party dressed in "long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties, you know in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around," she said, according to the lawsuit.

4. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I think in several southern towns, that slur was used and is still used with regularity. I went to SFA and one of the college jobs I had was delivering auto parts. I stopped at one place and after the shop owner signed for the part, he literally yelled "hey n****r, come get this and put it in that Cadillac over there". Sure enough, a black dude comes walking from behind the shop, gets the part, and heads towards the Caddy. This was in 1997.

I was shocked, but then I thought that the shop owner and the worker probably don't know any different. It's sad, but it's the reality some folks live in. I'm not saying that excuses what Deen did or said, but if she said it during a time and a place when that was just the way they talked then I don't think she really did anything wrong.

5. Classic

Classic Member

Good riddance. Hide the fact from your fans and partners that you're a diabetic for several years and the whole time promoting your high cal **** recipes only to come out and rep a diabetes drug. Trash.

6. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

not defending it, but jeez, "plantation-style" is actionable?

wedding must've been quite a show. was there a fat man from the opera who tried to sing Misty?

guess it's an acceptable level of ecstasy.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8WpV9TELwsY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Nook

Nook Member

She didn't deserve to be fired based on her deposition testimony. I don't care that she made racial slurs 30-40 years ago. She is a chef/television personality, not running for President.

8. krosfyah

krosfyah Member

She's being fired because she's being sued by employees for harassment ...which is illegal. (The law suit just happens to be about racial and sexual harassment)

It's common for public figures lose sponsorships/deals because of bad PR.

Tiger lost boatloads of deals and he didn't even break any laws.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I just have to say wow on that one. What a joke

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

She really didn't get fired, they're just not renewing her contract.

11. juicystream

juicystream Member

Same difference, except they don't have to pay her or go through any lawsuit.

12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

So do a lot of other actors and comedians but typically they are acting.

I hate when people use the Chris Rock defense to defend racist actions. It's stupid.

1 person likes this.
  13. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

It's not the same for exactly the reasons you said. She'll be a free agent and not placed on waivers, if you will. There are differences although the end result is the same, she no longer has a job with that company.

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Exactly. I wish we could retire that lame excuse once and for all.

15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

16. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

This really is what it comes down to. Getting worked up over her admission is stupid, but in the end her job security comes down to public opinion & the image advertisers want to present their customer base.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Puala deen loses her 1st Amendment rights!

WHATS GOING ON WITH MERICUH?

I hate that everytime a personality gets yanked for saying racist ****, there are people who feel the personality is the victim. Totally misunderstands what a company can and can't do.

18. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

I don't get what the big deal is about this. I hear the "N" word every day. I don't hardly know a white person who hasn't said the "N" word. There's more important things going on to focus on this nonsense.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hRDXeinEUJQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

The media is who is focusing on that. The bigger issue are the claims of personal and sexual harassment that are behind these events.