1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Paula Deen N-word controversy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Some people suspect that her popularity within the Food Network has been waning for some time. If that's true...the FN may have wanted her gone for awhile, and this N-word controversy gave them a convenient easy "out" to do so.

Also, the FN's primary revenue stream is eyeballs tuned into their channel (i.e. ratings)...so they may have made a business calculation that keeping her around may affect their ratings...so out the door she goes.

2. amaru

amaru Member

It's only funny if you don't understand the history of the word.

That being said....they used this as an excuse to fire her. It seems to me that she had worn out her welcome long before this admission.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Wont' let me imbed the video about her slavery comments but...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/21/paula-deen-racism_n_3480720.html

There's also this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...cels-show-after-racism-scandal_n_3480517.html

Court records show Deen sat down for a deposition May 17 in a discrimination lawsuit filed last year by a former employee who managed Uncle Bubba's Seafood and Oyster House, a Savannah restaurant owned by Deen and her brother, Bubba Hiers. The ex-employee, Lisa Jackson, says she was sexually harassed and worked in a hostile environment rife with innuendo and racial slurs.

During the deposition, Deen was peppered with questions about her racial attitudes. At one point she's asked if she thinks jokes using the N-word are "mean." Deen says jokes often target minority groups and "I can't, myself, determine what offends another person."

Deen also acknowledged she briefly considered hiring all black waiters for her brother's 2007 wedding, an idea inspired by the staff at a restaurant she had visited with her husband. She insisted she quickly dismissed the idea.

1 person likes this.
  4. Qball

Qball Member

You have a problem with a private entity making it's own decisions with no govt intervention??

5. amaru

amaru Member

Thanks for the post CometsWin......

She lives in this fantasy world.....I don't feel a single shred of sympathy for her great-grandfather and his suicide. He should have done it sooner imho.....all the lives he and those like him ruined, he didn't deserve happiness.

LOL @ her bringing out the "token black guy".....watching that guy grovel was just pathetic.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

She talks about her great-grandfather killing himself due to the changes regarding slavery and the loss of his income, but she clearly says the changes (regarding slavery) were 'terrific changes'.... however her comments about her assistant being 'as black as that board' are very inappropriate and cringe worthy. Deen does make up for her ignorance by showing true affection for 'Hollis' -- she says he is 'her son by another father' and the two are obviously very close.

7. CometsWin

Yeah, I don't know what to make of her. She continually says things that are inappropriate but she seems oblivious to what she's doing. I honestly don't like her personality, the whole butter yall southern schtick is just lame to me, but I don't know that there's a real nasty intent behind this stuff. She just comes off as an ignorant fuddy duddy kind of old lady who just grew up that way. I do find the reference to workers being family rather than slaves to be pretty outrageous and disgusting and who knows if there is any merit to the lawsuit.

8. giddyup

giddyup Member

9. okierock

okierock Member

Chris rock uses the n-word, anyone asking for him to be fired?

10. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I heard kanye once used the n word. Well if you classify 57 times in one song as once.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Ridiculous that this got her fired - but she will be fine, probably even be more popular than ever.

DD

13. CometsWin

You should write his record label and get him fired for slurring himself.

14. giddyup

giddyup Member

I don't think he is just talking about himself. In fact, it is usually used to address someone else.

15. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I never get mad when I hear some cook say cracker or white bread.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

I say "MAH *****" all the time. I guess I've been blacklisted from ever working at food network. :(

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

She seems like a PR liability for the Food Network, but I still think it's bush league for them to drop her with an excuse like that. That could have waited for people to get outraged first.

Sexual innuendo and racial slurs in a restaurant kitchen? Impossible! (Not that such a suit doesn't have merit, but if all restaurant owners had as much money as the Deen family does, the courts would be overrun with these suits.)

18. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

^ and the point of the post above?

20. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

levity.