1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Paleo thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CXbby, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

but realize, since it takes more vegetables/fruit to make a juice, that many more nutrients are in a juice than a smoothie.

2. Louka

good point, but it's hard to find natural sources of carbs in the US, regardless of what they tell you.

3. droopy421

droopy421 Member

:confused: Legumes, veggies, and fruit...

4. Louka

going Primal

CXbby, ever heard of "going primal". Here is an excerpt from a .pdf that I can send you

I can email you the recipes and "The Primal Blueprint"... lmk

5. Louka

haha, I eat tons of legumes and veggies to get my carbs... not so much fruit. I was referring more to breads/starches. Thanks for making the point though.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm mixed on this (pun intended) because I'd assume your bodies natural absorption rate would be more in line with smoothies than raw energy in juices

7. CLFranchise

CLFranchise Contributing Member

I'd be interested in that.

Also, is anyone aware of any paleo friendly protein shakes? My friend trained with this guy and apparently this is as close as I have seen with a protein shake not having a bunch of added crap: http://gcarverlivelean.com/

8. Louka

I'm not sure absorption rate works like that and juice doesn't need to be broken down by your digestive system and should be absorbed by the body quite easily.

Maybe I'm confused about what you mean.

People can judge the two by knowing: juicing=more nutrients and blending=retaining the fiber

Edit: And Fiber is great! But Like I said earlier, I eat lots of legumes anyway so I prefer to juice.

How should I send it to you? Email?

#68 Louka, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I've been trying to do some research on carbs since this thread was started. What is the problem with potatoes? The only negatives I have seen about potatoes are that they are bad if they are processed.

10. Louka

potatoes are a little more difficult to explain. Put it this way; Although potatoes are technically a complex carb they act more like simple carbs in the body.

If you still don't understand just do some research on Simple Carbs.

As you say, potatoes in the USA are processed. Anything processed is typically bad for you. 'Processed' typically means that our potatoes [in the USA] are GMOs (genetically modified organism).

Cheers

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

some good news...

had pork roast w/ sauteed cabbage tonite, and haven't been salivating for carbs since......the cabbage really substitutes well and gives that full feeling similar to starches

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

I had some sauteed red cabbage(supposed to be really good for you) with garlic and balsamic vinegar the other day. Extra portions of veggies does the trick for feeling full. Also snack. Toasted unsweetened coconut flakes on berries or nuts or sweet potato is a nice snack. Especially with some raw honey.

13. Classic

Classic Member

I dropped dairy about a year ago now. Hemp is where it's at.

[​IMG]

Just opened a chocolate one this AM.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Ok so the simple carbs just matter for recovery from workouts and such from what I can tell. It seems like potatoes are good post workout food. It seems like the simple carbs aren't bad as long as you use them and don't eat them all the time.

Also, I looked up GMO potatoes and everything I have found said there are no genetically modified potatoes currently grown in North America. For instance, Idaho potatoes are not GMO. So it seems that most potatoes in America are not GMO.

15. westcoastin

westcoastin Member

I tried hemp once, but couldn't really stomach the taste. Almond milk works well for me as a substitute for dairy milk.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

For sweet potatoes, others can back me up, but i believe its a true complex carb and still has nutrients like vitamin A, unlike their white meat counterparts...

what i mean is that the body would likely puss out most of the nutrients because its genetically predispositioned to absorb veg over time whether through your gut plus the bacteria in there. At least with blending there's fibrous content to feel full and more bits to digest

17. Louka

If you're eating potatoes after a work out, that's fine. I usually give myself up to 30 minutes after a work out to eat some simple carbs anyway.

Also, it depends on how you prepare your potatoes obviously. Baked vs fried

If you know your potatoes aren't processed that's a plus too

18. Louka

Right about sweet potatoes, but in most cases they are not prepared in the healthiest ways.

I can't agree/disagree with you on your second point because that isn't an exact science.

But regarding digestion... digestion begins in the mouth. The less wholesome the food is you swallow, the easier it is for your body to allocate those nutrients. However, I don't think this point is valid here, because even smoothies are liquefied enough already to make digestion for body easy.

The reason I choose juicing over blending is because I use way more vegetables in my juice than fruit. Maybe 1 apple for taste and then everything else is veggies. Making it juice is the easiest way to chug it. A smoothie would take too long to drink, and after a few gulps I might not be able to stomach it, haha. :eek:

19. Garner

Garner Member

Any good sources for Paleo Crockpot recipes?

20. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Sweet potato hashbrowns made with coconut oil, with eggs and bacon. Breakfast of champions.