1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The @Os Trigonum Ron DeSantis Censorship Special

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 6, 2022.

1. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Can you groom someone to be gay? I don’t think so…

2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought cleanliness was next to Godliness?

Andre0087 likes this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's what the law states so if it goes to court, that's what it is.

And regardless, the impact will be intense - teachers - gay or not, will be put into a position where they could be fired for innocent or offhand remarks.

Conservatives can't cry that liberals are being overly dramatic about one thing, and then complain about artists boycotting Joe Rogan as censorship and cancel culture (which to me is being overly dramatic).

What is wrong with teaching children that being gay is ok??? By doing this you are only going to increase hate towards gays by essentially saying that being gay is something you can pickup in school merely discussing it - as if it is some kind of contagious disease.

How ironic is that you are against masks to prevent coronavirus but in favor of muzzling people when it comes to homosexuality.

4. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

You didn't "cite" anything. You showed OPINION pieces. They are clearly listed as such in the articles.

5. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Speaking of court. Why do these supposed fiscally conservatives pass laws they know will not hold up, knowing fullt well it will cost millions of dollars to defend them?

6. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

And here goes Florida again today...

Recommending children don't get the COVID-19 vaccine.

For some reason the site won't let me paste the link from my phone

7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OMG. If you don't understand all the terrible things he has done from reading that article then you really don't get it. I honestly don't care if you have gay friends that like him. Love of money, oil, big business, less taxes on the rich, guns, etc can sway people to vote for the GOP and ignore the fact that to most of them gay people or people not like them don't deserve rights or funding for mental health or suffering.

"I have gay friends who like DeSantis" has nothing to do with what he stands for. That's like saying "I know blacks who voted for Trump." It's like saying "I know preachers who think Trump's a fine Christian man" even though he cheated on all his wives and is a compulsive lying bully.

Xopher likes this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I agree with this recommendation. And I posted data to back that up. The risk for children from Covid is rather minimal. Since the vaccines do not provide sterile immunity, the argument about "protecting others" is also wrong. So there is really little reason to vaccinate children against Covid. Arguably, natural immunity from having gone through an infection they barely noticed will serve them better in the long run.

My view is that the older you are, the stronger the argument becomes to get the vaccine (although with Omicron, the urgency is somewhat reduced).

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Gun laws are one topic I would strongly disagree with DeSantis (and any pro-gun activists, right or left) on. On guns, I take a very European view.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Mentioning something in passing is not "classroom instruction", so no, this is not what the law states.

See above. No.

The law neither states that teaching children that being gay is ok is forbidden nor that teaching them it is not ok is forbidden. It just says that it's not a topic that's appropriate for classroom instruction up to grade 3. And I agree with that.

The law doesn't state any of that. As always, you are arguing against a strawman, New Yorker. I gave you the courtesy of some attention because I was tagged in this thread I would not otherwise have seen, but I am already done with you again.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't know, but I think that lady's argument is a bit ridiculous. Vilifying the other side is what many of the leftist posters here are doing, but she is also doing it.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It's vague as to what "teaching" is - that's the problem with this law. Good article on the hill

https://thehill.com/changing-americ...dont-say-gay-bill-violate-the-first-amendment

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

My best friend is a pediatric neurosurgeon and while children are less likely to show serve symptoms those that do have a high rate of brain damage. He treats kids as young as 2 months and 10 months old who will never have a normal life.

So death is not the only risk you are trying to avoid especially in children were there is a developmental aspect to consider.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Votes

London'sBurning likes this.
  15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I would expect no less from DeSantis’ press secretary.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Here is the part that bothers me more. There is no age limitation on this. So if a child is having issues because they are gay the school must inform the parents. WTF?

if there is a change in the student's services or monitoring related to the student's mental, emotional, or physical health or well-being and the school's ability to provide a safe and supportive learning environment for the student."

17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well we agree on one of all the policies that are simply hurting others that DeSantis makes.

#117 deb4rockets, Mar 7, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So here's the problem. Children are learning. They are learning academically and socially.

Sometimes the two overlap and interfere. If a student is being called homophobic names at school, those bullies can learn from their mistakes. But they have to understand why their bigoted bullying is damaging.

To do that teachers and students will need to talk about how people have been historically discriminated against and the damage that it causes. Florida had one of the worst mass shootings in history related to homophobia. It's crazy to think the governor and @AroundTheWorld would be against that kind of learning.

It isn't about teaching children to be gay (as if that's even possible). It's about teaching acceptance of people that are different. There is nothing wrong with that in Kindergarten, or in 12th grade.

JayGoogle and deb4rockets like this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Like a lot of laws this law is way too vague. It also replacements the judgements of teachers with those of state bureaucrats who are the ones who will end up interpreting and enforcing the law.

Yet another example of how the supposed party of limited government these days is all about increasing government.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. DeSantis might be the absolute worst about expanding freedom and increasing government's reach into people and business's lives.

#120 FranchiseBlade, Mar 7, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
    deb4rockets likes this.