1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The @Os Trigonum Ron DeSantis Censorship Special

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 6, 2022.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I missed where age appropriate and state standards are defined. For example, a parent could decide that a discussion wasn't age appropriate for their 18 year old high school senior.

And you choose a pretty radical author to debunk the radical thinking of what the bill might do.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't read that from that law.

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't want my Kindergarten kid to be indoctrinated about sexuality at all. He is not interested in that, he is interested in Peppa Pig.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Where in this law do you find "discrimination against LGBTQ people"?

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have yet to see the evidence that children were being indoctrinated.

Teaching that some people have same sex partners isn't indoctrination. Units on civil rights would also talk about discrimination faced by same sex couples. That isn't indoctrination. But maybe Censor DeSantis has already censored any discussion of civil rights.

Xopher likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

They are teaching them that these people exist and are normal. That way when they sexually mature and have peers who are different, they know not to treat them like black sheep.

So can you tell me what is wrong with that? I went you to actually flesh out a tangible chain of events you can see that makes this something that shouldn't happen instead of platitudes like "i don't want to teach little kids about sex"

Xopher likes this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Isn't LGBTQ & adjacent culture responsible for like 88% of South Florida's economy?

fchowd0311 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. bobrek

LGBTQ cannot be discussed in the classroom for pre-k to 3rd grade - correct?

Couldn't a gay teacher saying a person of the same sex was their husband/wife be construed as discussion?

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. bobrek

I agree..... then WHY ISN'T THERE A SIMILAR LAW COVERING HETEROSEXUAL SEXUALITY?

Andre0087 likes this.
  10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

If you don't want your child to be a in a classroom where the word "gay" is used or a discussion about what gay is then you as a parent can choose to send your child to a private school. Which you say you intend to do. The law as written, and the right-wingnuts you cite as defenses of the law fully intend to prevent the word gay or any discussion of what gay is in any Florida public school classroom. The intent of the law is to prevent any discussion of the topic of homosexuality in the classroom with teachers. This is driven by the right wing fantasy that teachers in classroom are trying to "convert" ("indoctrinate") children into gay people. Ignoring the fact that doesn't happen, even if someone teacher acted inappropriately with a child, current laws would kick in (true for inappropriate behavior involving homosexual or heterosexual teachers).

The law as written clearly violates the First Amendment rights of teachers in the classroom. It even violates the First Amendment rights of students in the classroom. This law continues down the same path of CRT laws in Florida (and elsewhere). Invent a false "evil" and then create a discriminatory law to limit speech and legislate thinking.

So, here are some examples of the law in action. Student asks the teacher if he is married. Teacher says yes, I am married to a same sex partner. The new law was just violated.

Or student calls another student a derogatory word for a homosexual. Teacher says that work is inappropriate and suggests the student learn why. The new law is violated.

Or students want to learn about the current Secretary of Transportation, and the challenges he faced in his political career and personal life. The teacher suggests books about the Secretary. Perhaps even adds his own admiration for the Secretary. The new law has been violated.

Last... student has two same sex parents. Children being children, the student gets teased in the classroom. What does the teacher do or say? Can't say anything to the effect that having same sex parents is no different and shouldn't be the object of teasing since, well, that would violate the new law.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

From the radical right-wing organization Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ndergartners-about-gender-identity-seriously/

Opinion: California wants to teach kindergartners about gender identity. Seriously.
    [​IMG]
    By Henry Olsen
    Columnist|
    May 13, 2019
    Opponents of a proposal to makes changes to California's sex-education guidance for teachers, which includes information on gender identities, rallied at the state capitol on May 8. (Rich Pedroncelli/AP)
    Kindergarten is a German word that literally means “children’s garden.” Last week, California decided that their children’s gardens in public schools would include instruction on gender identity. The mind reels.

It would be a mild understatement to say this is controversial. Religious conservatives fought this, as one might expect. But one doesn’t have to be a religious conservative to wonder if this isn’t a misplaced policy that says more about adults’ ideology than children’s needs.

The California guidelines are quite clear about what is to be taught and why. Page 45 of the K-3 guidelines states: “While students may not fully understand the concepts of gender expression and identity, some children in kindergarten and even younger have identified as transgender or understand they have a gender identity that is different from their sex assigned at birth.” The idea that 5-year-old children, can be trusted to “know” their gender identity is unbelievable; 4 year olds still exhibit firm beliefs in magic.

While elements of the guidelines are worthy efforts to reduce sex role stereotyping, the clear emphasis is teaching children about gender identity. Page 46 of the guidelines states “Members of the community who defy traditional stereotypes (e.g., women firefighters, male nurses, and stay-at-home fathers/guardians/caretakers) could be invited as guest speakers to share about their jobs and to serve as role models and myth busters. Be sure to include individuals of all genders, including people who are transgender.”

It makes sense to tell children that daddy can be a nurse and mommy can be a lawyer. But for some reason, I doubt they’ll understand that daddy can fall anywhere on an ever-expanding gender-identity spectrum.

Nor can parents choose to remove their children from this indoctrination. While parents can opt their children out of lessons on sexual health that involve discussions of sexual organs and their functions, they are forbidden from removing their children from any discussion of gender identity. Thus, if a school chooses to assign the sole book recommended by the guidelines for kindergarten reading, “My Princess Boy,” parents have no recourse.

Creating these curricula is a major priority for transgender-rights advocates, and they have succeeded elsewhere in pushing their cause. The Liberal government in the Canadian province of Ontario introduced gender-identity curriculum for young children. Opponents there were horrified that the gender-identity theory was being taught to children as young as 8. Apparently, California believes 8is too late.

Outcry over this initiative helped fuel the victory of Progressive Conservative Doug Ford in last year’s elections. The outcry was not just limited to Evangelicals and Catholics. As the BBC noted, “Many new Canadians of Middle Eastern and Asian descent also found the curriculum objectionable.” This was surely part of the reason why Ford’s party won every seat in majority-minority Mississauga and a majority of seats in immigrant-dominated Scarborough.

The Ford government’s proposed replacement for the old curriculum strikes the right balance between the need for tolerance of transgender individuals and age-appropriate instruction. In the proposed curriculum, gender identity is introduced in grade eight. While this has been attacked by the left and the right, this seems right to me. Twelve- and 13-year-old children are much more mentally mature than 5-year-olds, and they also are dealing with sexual impulses and attraction. Talking about sex and gender when children can understand what is at stake is a much better idea.

Californians are often proud to be leading the resistance to President Trump. Let’s hope they decide to replace these guidelines and stop resisting common sense.

12. bobrek

This story is almost 3 years old. Did this happen?

13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Not the kind of Cuban sandwich ATW is looking for...

jiggyfly and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I remember AroundTheWorld not liking Muslims in the Middle East for how they treat people unequally. I got a gay niece and have had gay friends and trans friends and they're cool ****ing people. They are. I don't understanding wanting to get rid of content in libraries catered to them when there's already so little or having more school faculty advocating on their behalf.

I remember my niece at the age of like 14 or 15 being really freaked out about coming out to her parents so she told me and I talked them while she was near me and broke the news. And I remember my sister, who is Catholic being upset for weeks and weeks and my brother in law being a bit more reserved initially but they came around and they love their daughter and support her in everything which is how it should be. But I also remember when my niece came out to me and I was the first outside her younger sister, she flat out said since she was little, she always preferred Barbie over Ken. And she knew since she was little kid (like kindergarten age) that she was gay, except she grew up in a household that wasn't quite so progressive at the time yet and it really affected her self esteem at home and at school.

She really struggled a lot despite being routinely top of her class in grades, volunteering at animal shelters to learn animal behavior and help them and just in general being a really good and kind hearted sweet person. She's gorgeous too. Got offers to be a runway model at like 14 and live that lifestyle in upstate New York. Instead she chose her path to becoming a veterinarian and is currently in vet school at Michigan State with 4.0 GPA. That's a really good person and these types of laws do in fact deeply affect good people who happen to be gay or trans. It's asinine these types of laws are being re-implemented to cater to a homophobic conservative base in Florida. Some shameful **** man.

#35 London'sBurning, Mar 7, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
    Xopher, jiggyfly, FrontRunner and 2 others like this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I think all the examples you made up are not supported by the law as I read it. Strawman.

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Wrong... the fact that that the law is so vaguely written that it creates debate over what is covered and not covered shows it is a bad law. And we both know what the true intent of the law is. And your decisions about how you interpret ("as I read it") and then defend the law reflects your belief system.

Xopher and FrontRunner like this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

That's fine. Teaching tolerance is good. Indoctrination of very young children with ideology is not. I don't read the law as anti-gay or LBTWTWAGKQ or whatever. Seems like an anti-indoctrination law to me, nothing else. And when you look at what Woko Haram has been doing in American schools already, it is good to have an anti-indoctrination law.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2022/01...ctrinates-preschoolers-on-transgender-issues/

Parents Group Claims Saint Paul School System Indoctrinates Preschoolers on Transgender Issues

A parents group claims that a Minnesota school district is indoctrinating toddlers about pride and other “equity” agenda items.

Saint Paul Public Schools is partnering with two organizations, AMAZE and OutFront Minnesota, to purportedly push materials discussing gender identity on children as young as 3, according to a release by Parents Defending Education.

One document released by Parents Defending Education from AMAZE included books aimed at preschool-age children, including “When Aidan Became a Brother,” “I Love My Colorful Nails,” and “My Princess Boy.”

The first book is about a young girl who transitions to become a boy, according to AMAZE’s handout. The second book tells the story of how “a boy who loves to paint his nails different colors” is bullied, while the third title is about “a little boy who loves the color pink, sparkly things, and being a princess” and was “written by his mom.”

“Let’s see what she wants us to know about him and his family,” the summary of “My Princess Boy” concluded, according to Parents Defending Education documents.

After a brief description of the books involved, the AMAZE handout also included suggested activities and discussion questions under the heading “Connection to Social-Emotional Learning and Anti-Bias Education.”

Social-emotional learning materials have been “suffused” with critical race theory by a company founded by Attorney General Merrick Garland’s son-in-law, including a deleted course titled “Social-Emotional Learning As A Vehicle For Equity.”

Critical race theory holds that America is fundamentally racist, yet teaches people to view every social interaction and person in terms of race, and whose adherents pursue “antiracism” through the end of merit, objective truth, and the adoption of race-based policies.

[​IMG]
    Screenshot of a handout obtained by Parents Defending Education.
    Another handout told teachers to “Ask Students for Name and Pronouns” and to “Refer students to the Name/Gender Change Request Form,” according to Parents Defending Education.

OutFront Minnesota’s website includes links to programs that provide free “chest binders” for “folks 24 and under” or for “any trans person who needs one and cannot afford or safely obtain one.”

One of the groups, Point of Pride, offers on its site to ship a free chest binder “to a friend, family member, or another trusted person if you cannot receive it at your house.”

There are multiple lawsuits surrounding school district policies that require teachers to keep parents in the dark regarding the sexual orientation or gender identity of their children, to the point of allegedly starting clandestine social transitions.

“In the most recent round of state testing, 33 percent of St Paul students tested proficient in reading—down 6 points from 2019—and 21 tested proficient in math, down 9 points. It is especially egregious that after more than a year of disruptions and closures, the district is pushing ideologically driven content and resources on students and families,” Erika Sanzi, director of outreach for Parents Defending Education, said in the group’s release.

“It is one thing to treat all students with the dignity they deserve; it is quite another to be so far out of your lane that you are partnering with outside organizations that think it is appropriate to engage toddlers in conversations about gender identity and sexual orientation,” Sanzi added. “How can a school district even defend spending time and money on this ideological garbage when 2/3 of their students can’t read on grade level and 80 percent aren’t proficient in math?”

Saint Paul Public Schools Superintendent Joe Gothard did not respond to the Daily Caller News Foundation’s request for comment.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't think it should.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I didn't research the author, but what is radical about him? Has he threatened to blow himself up to meet 72 virgins in heaven or something?