1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Optimism Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by jbasket, Dec 31, 2012.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

The '95 Rockets weren't supposed to get past the Suns and Spurs, either. The '05 Astros were a laughingstock that May. Crazy things happen sometimes in sports. There is no Miami Heat in the NFL -- might as well just enjoy it while we can and not write them off.

2. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

If we beat the Bengals which I think we will. We will beat the Patriots. You heard it here first or ..read it ..

1 person likes this.
  3. jbasket

jbasket Member

Yes, odds are in favor of the home team. Congrats on stating something new. But if the Jets could win in New England twice(I think? Not sure) with Busty Sanchez as their quarterback, why can't we? It is honestly an overrated "everybody loses here" mystique that has been proven to not be correct.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't think they'll beat NE, either but.............. the Pats are 2-2 in their last 4 playoff games - all home games. They routed the Tebow-led Broncos. Otherwise, they lost 33-14 to Baltimore, 28-21 to New York, and were a Lee Evans drop away from losing to Baltimore again. (As is, a Billy Cundiff missed FG averted OT.) So that's Flacco and Sanchez sending them home, with Flacco very nearly doing it a second time. And FYI, when the Jets did it, the Pats had beaten them, in Foxboro, in week 12, 45-3. Sound at all familar?

That's why I'd rather be reeling entering our first playoff game than riding an extended regular season win streak to an 8-8 finish and a bucketfulof "wait'll next year!" They're in the dance - can't win it all if you're not.

5. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

where has this guy been?

[​IMG][
    /URL]

6. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

At least one Super Bowl participant, in 6 of the last 7 years, has played in a Wild Card game.

I'm still battlefightin'

Go Texans!!!!!!

7. conquistador#11

i watched some highlights from the steelers versus bengals, when the playoffs where still in reach for the steelers. yeah, what they did to big ben "who can extend plays" wanted to make me cry.

the optimism..though our line has been a big zero for 3 weeks, for the other 12 weeks it was solid, all things considered.

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I've been thinking about this stat since the loss earlier in New England. I was just really hoping it would've been irrelevant.

9. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I just hope that went through a slump, and will bust out of it this week and return to their ass kicking ways. Maybe they need to have a team night out, and cruise for fat chicks, find some slump busters.

1 person likes this.
  10. platypus

platypus Member

My head will explode if we lose tomorrow, i've been in a bad funk ever since we lost to the vikings.

11. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

I know, we all smell that funk you've been in all the way here at our computers from where you are.

12. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

We got this.

Lets see the bandwagon fans comeback after a strong performance!

RUN THE BALL!

13. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

Here's my optimism:

1R. An offensive tackle that can actually run block and pass protect

2R. Alec Ogletree – ILB – Georgia

3R. Bacarr Rambo – S – Georgia

4R. Marcus Davis – WR – Virginia Tech

5R. Zac Dysert – QB – Miami (OH)

14. jbasket

jbasket Member

Bumping this thread: The special teams was still pretty bad, but I am still sticking with my prediction that they will not give up a touchdown/cost us the game. I still love our punter.

The offense showed signs of life. The pocket protection was just great against a very disruptive front, and the running game actually showed up when we needed it. Will Schaub throw another pick 6? Doubtful, and the Patriots defence is not as good as the Bengals; we could seriously explode. It is all about the line, and the line showed up. What the offence needs is some deep passes to keep the defences honest. Then, they will stop stacking the box and opens up screen passes and Foster more (which played well in the passing game, another good sign).

The defence played great, like I said, the corners are stepping up at the right time. Glover Quin is a stud, and Brooks Reed is making his presence felt. Both shut down the TE for the Bengals, and he is supposed to be pretty good. That is a GREAT sign with Gronk and Hernandez.

As the heavy underdogs, I think we will revert back to the talented team we saw in the beginning of the season. It is revenge time: The Jets and Giants have been able to get revenge for regular season losses from the Pats, and it is now our time.

15. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

On December 6th, 2010, the Jets lost at the Patriots 45-3. In the 2nd round of the playoffs that same year, they went back into Gillette Stadium and beat New England 28-21 to advance to the AFC championship game. It shall be done.

16. ubigred

Rex changed his scheme , it caught the Patriots totally off guard. Hernandez and Gronk did not play in that game.

Everyone keeps bring up that game as if Wade is going to totally change his scheme. He won't. Hell we dont even have Revis on this team.

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

you're just praying the Texans don't win so you don't have to rewrite your conclusion, huh.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yes they did.

He's changed it already, multiple times to accommodate injuries. The big change Ryan made was going to a zone scheme after 16 weeks of man-to-man, which is pretty ballsy. But with vets like JJo and Manning, it could work.

19. ubigred

Nope. I'll be in New Orleans regardless. I really want to wear my AJ jersey. I am hoping and praying for a win.

I have two $50 bets on the Patriots . No one wanted to put $500 0r even $100 on the Texans.

20. ubigred

You are right. However , I could argue that they were both rookies who had not come into there own. Gronk 42 catches 546 yards AHern 45 563.....#s that are far from what they are producing today.

I have feeling Wade will focus too much on taking away the two TEs and that will leave Welker and the running game (Ridley,Varren, Woodhead) to go berserk.

Do you think that will work?

#80 ubigred, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013