1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Optimism Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by jbasket, Dec 31, 2012.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

Harden is a beast.

2. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

last year, we had the same momentum, and we still won in the first round.
    I believe they will win against Bengals.

GO TEXANS!!

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Here is some "optimism" heading into this weekend's game, via ESPN Stats & Info

1 person likes this.
  4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

The '09 Saints, '08 Cardinals, and '07 Giants all had relatively rocky finishes to the season and all went on to the Super Bowl, though IMO none of them had to go through 2 juggernauts like NE and Denver on the road.

More than anything, we just need some confidence back. That NE game shattered it. A play here or there (Schaub underthrowing Casey for ex) and we could be sitting in the #1 seed right now. It will take some luck but it's not impossible. Might as well just enjoy it while we can - beat Cincy, gain some confidence, and go to war in New England.

5. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

Apples to oranges to an extent but the 1995 Rockets lost their last three games to finish 47-35 and there was nothing to suggest they'd overcome the juggernauts in their way in 3. Utah (60-22), 2. Phoenix (59-23) and San Antonio (62-20), the latter of which had beaten the Rockets 5-1 in the regular season series. and unlike the Texans, they had no home round advantage at any point. The Texans can have it twice and have at least once.

Also, let's not forget last year's Texans stumbling into the playoffs before having a good showing with a third string QB.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek: Agreed, but, we all knew Party Boy wasn't second string. Didn't we? :grin:

7. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

The main difference is that the Rockets already tasted a championship and the feeling that comes along with it. The Texans have not felt that so they can't say they want to feel the way they did the year before. The feeling of winning the year before is what also pushed the Rockets past a lot of those teams. Along with experience.

If the Texans had won the Super Bowl last year and were facing the adversity this year then they could use that as a rally cry to bring themselves back to the same feeling they had.

8. NOLArocket

NOLArocket Member

Really hard to still be optimistic. Though I don't think that benching Schaub is the answer like some crazy people out here do

9. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I feel we win this but most likely lose the next game. You don't bench Schaub. Just can't do it going into the playoffs. He has played like crap recently but you have to ride with him in the playoffs and see if he can do something. If not then you need to reevaluate everything in the off season.

1 person likes this.
  10. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Great post, I agree with all.

1 person likes this.
  11. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

True but we had some crucial new parts that hadn't been a part of the previous run. Clyde Drexler was new though experienced in the playoffs while Vernon Maxwell was kicked off the team at a crucial time. And I don't care if you had won it before or not, the experience of winning it before can only take you so far.

12. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I have faith that we will have a good game. Hopefully, Foster and Tate both get some good yardage and a Andre Johnson TD (or at least big reception) is expected in the first half.

13. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'm slowly losing the bad taste in my mouth from the few weeks.

But I'll be fully turned up for the game tomorrow. Hopefully I'll even get to see OD turn it up once or twice in the endzone. A few Namates wouldn't hurt too. And maybe AJ jumping into the crowd once or twice. Several JJ Watt salutes and couple of sword draws from Antonio Smith.

Let's go Texans!

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Once the Aggies kickoff tonight, I am going to be in full fervor again. The last few weeks have given us nothing to be happy about, but these are still the PLAYOFFS, and it's time to get busy. One thing the Texans have going for them is this:

THEY KNOW THEY CAN BE BETTER. They've BEEN better this season. They've experienced playing at their highest level, and when that happens, they know they're unstoppable. It's just a matter of turning it up to that level again, and going out there and busting some heads.

15. jbasket

jbasket Member

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

To be honest, we should beat the Bengals.

But if we do that, then we have to go to New England.

And if we beat NE, and Denver wins their game, then we'll have to go play Denver at Mile High.

Our team has to run the gauntlet against the two best QBs in the NFL, while away from home.

Optimistic about the Bengals game? Yes.

Optimistic that we go to the big game? Absolutely not.

17. Fyreball

Do you realize you just "....yeah, but"ed your way to the AFC Championship Game, and figured out a way to be DOWN about that?? Seriously, what's with fans in this city? I don't get it.....IT'S THE PLAYOFFS!!!!

And it's not like the Pats haven't won in 7 years or something.....oh wait. That's exactly what they've done. And they've lost some head-scratchers themselves. All you can do is get to the game. What happens then is completely in your control. What's the point of even being a fan if you're just going to concede victory to the other team? We know that the Texans are GOOD enough to beat anybody in the league when they're playing at their top level.....we've seen it. This is the PLAYOFFS. **** the negativity. Save it for the off-season. Right now, it's about Saturday afternoon at Reliant.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I hear you and you know I've been positive all year long....but the last 2 games....with everything on the line.....I just can't get over how we only had to win one of them....and we lost not one, but BOTH of them.

Seriously, I was having flashbacks to the expansion years while watching the last 2 games. Whatever could go wrong did. Yes, we limped into the playoffs last year, but that was different. There wasn't nearly as much on the line as there was this year.

Had we won just ONE of those last two games, and we had a bye this week followed by a home game against the Colts or Ravens the next week.....I would be punching my ticket to the Superbowl with optimism right now. I would be licking my chops at the opportunity to host peyton at Reliant and put an end to his dream season. It would be sweet justice for what he's done to us the last 10 years.

But nope....we managed to eff it all up and now, assuming we sleep-walk to a victory tomorrow (how's that for optimism?), we have to go to NE and face Tom Brady in his own house. I'm giving us no shot whatsoever in that game. There is no reason we should expect to win that one. We're not even going to get a shot at peyton.

So yeah, I've been positive all year long....constantly defending the Texans from all the haters on this forum....but I'm not feeling too good about our chances to even make the AFC Championship game anymore.

19. TRAV

TRAV Member

im optimistic the other AJ is gonna destroy...

20. Fyreball

Trust me, I get ALL that. I'm a season-ticket holder. I've been giddy for the last 3 months in hopes that I would get to see an AFC Championship Game live, in person. It's beyond disappointing how they ended the season, and everyone (including the players and coaches) are WELL aware of the opportunity they squandered.

However, at this point right now, going forward, what's the point of dwelling on that?? The Bengals don't give a damn how we ended the season. They want to come in here and squash our dreams tomorrow. They would love nothing more than to send us with our tails between our legs, talking about how we wasted a fantastic season. It's up to the Texans to not let that happen. And if fan support is going to send them over the edge, then that's what they are going to get from me. And you know what? **** Tom Brady. If the Texans get a chance to play them next week, then I would love nothing more than to take a giant **** in his Uggs.