1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The one thing you'll remember most about this season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SA Rocket, Apr 16, 2003.

Tags:
  1. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

Good or bad, what one thing will bring you joy or gnaw at your gut this offseason? What one thing brought you repeated bliss or anguish?

Here's my headbanger:

For years Stockton and Malone have feasted off the pick and roll. Stockton generally takes one of four options based on the defensive reaction.
    1. Feeds Malone as Malone rolls down the lane.
    2. Drives off the pick,feeds Malone for an open jumper.
    3. Drives the lane for a layup.
    4. Takes a jumper.

The Rockets' version when using Yao and Mobley, with Mobley's own set of four options, invariably went something like this:
    1. Mobley drives the lane, obstructed or not, tries a layup.
    2. Mobley drives the lane, obstructed or not, tries a layup.
    3. Mobley drives the lane, obstructed or not, tries a layup.
    4. Mobley takes a jumper.

Hey Mobes, I'm just an ignorant fan, but how about looking for that 7'6" guy who shoots as well or better than you? He's the one usually open rolling down the lane or wide open for a jumper after he sets the pick for you.:mad:

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

probably yao-shaq I. the enormous hype for it all. 44 and 11 from steve. yao blocking shaq 4 freakin times. the beautiful pass and dunk to seal it. our high mark of 8 games over 500 also. very nice.

3. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

Barkley made his bold prediction and then Yao had his first 20 points game vs. lakers soon after.

4. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

yao being abused by atlanta's theo ratliff, but then yao posts up theo, bangs him a couple of times, dunks theo and the ball, and then screams in his mug. technical on yao.

WE NEED MORE OF THAT, YAO!!!!

i was at that game here in atlanta. everybody kinda looked at me like i was a 'tard or something when i shot out of my seat and starting screaming in amazement. :eek:

5. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

Here, here!!
    My wife looked at me like I was crazy when I shot out of my chair 3 times in 3 minutes when Yao sent Shaq's shots back!! :)

6. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

yao ming's 3 pointer.

man that shot was so sweet.
    steve drives, back pass to yao ming.
    commentator goes smething like 'this is his first 3 pointer taken this season......and he makes it!!!'.

i think james posey was on the bench and jumping up and down waving a towel.

camera goes to yao ming, smiling and slowly raises both arms. jason richardson goes into the camera with a priceless expression.

man that was so great.

7. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I will remember the emergence of Yao as a big time player. Also the emergence of Posey as a good free agent signing.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Not making the playoffs.

9. robbieg

robbieg Member

The two clipp games in compac.The first with my favorite player Brand going off and proving why we need to trade for him and hearing bill worrel raving about Brands skills,and the second game Odom nearly single handidly beat francis/griffin/ming/cat. Hitting a 30foot three with 10 seconds left to tie the game and the look on Rudys face.

10. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

seriously, 5 years from now you're gonna remember this year as the year we didn't get to the playoffs?

you're gonna forget this year when we DONT make the playoffs next year.

:D

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

THe night Barkley had to kiss the donkey's ass, Yao already had 20pts against Dallas at Halftime!

Marbury crossing Yao over, Yao collapsing on the ground. UGLY...just plain UGLY.

YAOvs SHAQ, where Stevie goes for 44pts and 11 dishes. Yao had winning dunnk from Stevie too.

...the low side again, Shaw dominating Yao the next two games.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

no edit...i meant SHAQ... not SHAW...SHAQ. before I get flamed.

13. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

Before u try to edit again, Shaq dominating yao one game only. Shaq missed 2 games this season due to injury. :D

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Steve dribbling around, running down the shot clock and throwing up a bad shot without another teammate touching the ball. Steve slowly jogging the ball down on a fast break. Steve getting a last second shot on a fast break, but settles for the 3. Steve kicking the ball in the stands.

15. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Dreams jersey being retired and Steve kicking the ball into the stands I knew the season was over when that occured

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

Win or lose, the dumbest basketball I have ever seen played at any and all levels incuding playground and church league. It is like the players have never been to basketball camp or received one minute of coaching. My most frustrating year as a Rockets fan, and I was a fan when Rudy played. I literally cannot take another season of this group. If there is not another team on the floor next year, I will not be attending or watching. Houston has had more interesting and entertaining teams with losing records.

17. AGBee

AGBee Member

GIVE YAO THE DAMN BALL!!! will be etched in my memory forever.

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

19. rockets36

rockets36 Member

Powerdancers!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

20. MONON

MONON Member

The gnaw has to be the inconsistency of the Rockets, playing average to good against good teams and bad to average against bad teams. But then it seems like that happens every year. :rolleyes:

The standout memories have to include Yao's passes. Two easily come to mind. 1. The 1st time Yao did a blind flip pass over his head to a leasurly cutting guard(who wasn't expecting it), hitting the guard in the back of the head. I forget who the guard. 2. Steve makes a bounce pass to Yao(who has sealed his man to the inside). Instead of catching the pass & spinning for a hook shot, Yao makes a handball swipe pass to Rice for a 3pt basket! I almost knocked over the coffee table on that one! :D