1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Old ROX Team Proved to be a Failure

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EGYPT, Jan 23, 2007.

1. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

with Moe Taylor and Eddie Griffin, Ryan Bowen, Moochie being waived from their teams, Cato, Francis soon to follow, the ROX previous team except for Cuttino (for the time being) proves to be a failure. Whether it is substance abuse, low basketball IQ or arrogance these guys completely fell apart. I am very glad we are not watching these guys play in a ROX uniform anymore and how stupid was it to sign them to such ridiculous contracts that were never renewed by any other time since.

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Rybo was under JVG's reign.

Anyways, Terrence Morris, Moochie, Joquin Hawkins(I actually liked him), Terrie Brown, their NBA careers were gone after rocket's contract. Except Terrie Brown short stint with Rudy.T in Lakers.

3. Diaw

Diaw Member

we were almost a playoff team with those guys during the last year of Rudy T as our coach no ?

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

so was the old clippers. There is no almost in sports.

5. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

i can't agree with that.

mo taylor's contract was certainly too high, but he was a promisiing young player when he signed it. too bad he had that injury that cost him much of his athletic ability and too bad he couldn't stop doing drugs.

eddie griffin is basically the same story. in the situation the rockets were, nearly every gm would do this trade again with the knowledge everybody had back then.

there's not much to say about moochie norris. he was a decent backup point guard before he signed his big contract but he never was worth that much money.

steve francis was good here. he had his faults but he was one of the best players in the league. since being traded he didn't have the right situation for him. he had a good year in orlando but the management ripped a promising team apart because they thought steve was taking away shots dwight howard should be getting. look at the magic right now. they aren't really that much further. dwight howard is still raw and is still not averaging enough field goal attempts for the hype he has been getting.

ryan bowen was always only a hard worker and hustler without any talent. he didn't earn that much money so i don't know how he belongs in your list.

6. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

They went from a lottery team to being 2 games out of the 1st seed in one season.

It is the difference between hoping for 1st pick(Kevin Durant) and hoping for the 1st seed.

7. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

don't forget Walt Williams.. still much love for that punch he gave to Shawn Bradley :D

8. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

they were 23-19 at the same time 2005 when the magic team was still steve's. they are 23-19 right now.

if they kept cat and fired johnny davis earlier they would have been a good team with steve running the show.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Rudy almost got this bunch with the rookie Yao into the playoffs before he fell to cancer.

10. Angioplasty

Angioplasty Member

Did you mean to say that his scoring average isn't high enough? Otherwise, I don't see what the number of field goal attempts has to do with how good a player is. Dwight Howard is a double-double machine and is improving with each game. I don't understand what so many people on this board have against him, because he hasn't done anything to deserve the vitriol that's been directed towards him.

11. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Yeah but that was before most people here started watching the Rockets.

12. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

For some reason my favorite memory of that year was a triple-overtime win over the Pacer's I wasn't even able to watch live. Just had to sit in front of ESPN hoping they'd show the highlights. good times......lol,, not really.

13. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Yeah I remember that game. Moochie played out of his mind. I think that game was the single biggest reason Moochie got that enormous contract the next year.

Highlight of an otherwise sad season.

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

A looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong string of horrific drafts, deals, and contracts equals only one thing, poor management. Since the championship years, the Rockets have worked themselves into a corner again and again. If I am the owner, I clean house and start over with some fresh thinking, and I don't mean moneyball. The core is here, some smart moves now could produce championship results.

15. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

All we need is the Spurs to fire Pop and send their GM packing and we'd be a lock for years to come! :D

16. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

On a lighter note.. Posey and Anderson got rings.. :D

17. Pringles

Pringles Member

well when stevie moved i watched orlando carefully as well. they were 1st seed at one time but then the stupid hockey gm traded cat for doug christie. to make stories short, steve played like crap and so did orlando magic, which then basicaly ruined his career. i will never say anything bad for steve cause he played his heart out unlike swift or vspan.

18. johnrox

johnrox Member

cat is the reason franchise lives. it was disturbing how franchise and cat are tight. steve has never been the same without him :D

if a career depends on a "friend", something is wrong

19. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

Exactly, Look at Orlando's record this year (without Cat) and last year without Cat when Steve was still there. Cat was the man. Steve was just living off him.

20. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

But thats about it! What matters is going further into round 2 and so on...

btw. Moe Taylor waived again! poor guy!! :(