1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official Wii Launch Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Nov 13, 2006.

1. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I'm glad someone brought this thread up.

I got Tiger Woods yesterday and it rocks. A friend who had never played on the Wii before played with me and he's looking for one today.

Those things sell themselves

I did the same thing a week or two ago. Turn it on with 2 players then play the duck hunt game by your self using both controllers. Its a blast and I think eventually some games will incorporate using both wii motes as opposed to the nunchuck.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've been waiting to hear a report on this game -- the Wii sports (golf) looks fun but it seemed like it would get old pretty quick. I like the idea of a serious golf game for the Wii -- tell us more as you get into it.

:cool:

3. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Tiger's fun.

Btw, Wii Golf was fun for me and my friends up until now that I have Tiger. It didn't hurt that we had bets on the line for each game.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So my parents got a Wii to play when their niece comes over. I was in town so I set it up for them. They seemed to be having a blast, even my mom was jumping up and down getting into boxing.

So when they all go off to sleep I pop in Wii sports and go to town... Boy was I disappointed! Are yall guys kidding me? The games have no depth. Wii golf? Tiger Woods on the PS3 destroys this. I never got into any of the games, they seemed so thin. It all felt like a gimmick to me. A cheesy looking gimmick.

I got online to look at the gaming and library. Another disappointment. Everyone was bashing PS3's lineup so I assumed the Wii had some show stoppers out. Ya right...

The ability to download old SNES, NES, N64 games is really cool. I could see myself utilizing that, especially if they are redone in 480p. But they have emulators for that. And its free.

But ya. Huge disappointment. For me anyways.

5. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Tiger Woods on the Wii destroys both. I'm addicted to it like no game since Civilization I.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The graphics on next gen are breathtaking though! But Civilization 1-3 was like a religion to me so I may have to take you're word.

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Wii Sports is really there to demonstrate the potential of the system...considering it basically came free with the console, can't complain too much. Taken for what it is, it's a lot of fun and brings in hardcore and casual gamers alike. In terms of depth though yeah it falls drastically short...but it's not supposed to be deep.

And of course it's a new console so the amount of decent games is limited...but there are soom good ones out...Super Monkey Ball, Smooth Moves, Excite Truck, etc....and then some great ones like Zelda and Tiger Woods.

Course if you're into more mature gaming, then the Wii might not be for you.

8. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Plus it seems like the major developers initially stayed away from the system as there was some doubt on the long term power of the Wii. As we all know now, the Wii has been selling strong since it came out, so the major developers are now hurrying to make the big name games for the Wii.

9. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Why would you compare a free game that isn't meant to be a "golfing" game to Tiger Woods on PS3 when there's a Tiger Woods for Wii? Shouldn't you compare apples to apples?

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

can i walk up to a store and buy a wii now?

ive seen ds lites, and ps3s available, but what about wii?

11. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Out of curiosity, what's so great about Tiger Woods for the Wii? It seems like even the most positive reviews I've seen for it make it out to be little more than just a decent port of the PS2/XBX/GC Tiger Woods game with some good controls that work well with the controller. And the average/negative reviews...well, yeah. Of course, I don't really care for golf games, and reviews for Wii Sports weren't all that positive either. Just a little curious since I often read how great it is on this board (putting it in the same group as Civilization and Zelda would definitely get my attention).

And no, you still shouldn't be able to walk up to a store and find a Wii with relative ease, unless you get lucky. AFAIK anyway.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

You can get a Wii on Ebay or Craigs list fairly easily these days.

DD

13. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Reading some reviews from real golfers trying out TW on the Wii, the motions aren't mapped one-to-one, so it really isn't what it could be - your swing speed has no relation to your real golf swing. For the same reason, chipping and putting sucks. I don't know if the technology is at fault or what, but I'm waiting until I hear something better.

I want a Wii game that pulls me in so much I get in better shape playing it.

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

no

We got lucky a couple weeks back adn my wife noticed the Frys ad for the 399 bundle (Wii +3 games), and she hotfotted it down to Frys adn picked one up....there were only three left after her and as she as walking out she overheard three people asking about the deal on their way in.

btw....who is still playing on theirs? I was thinking about adding my number to this thread but hadnt yet.

adn also, one of my remotes just quit tracking 3D movement, but the buttons still work, what is the deal with the warranty?

send to Nintendo? or the seller? anyone know for sure?

15. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I am stunned. ;)

I think you're missing the point there, zig. I'll give you a hint: it's in the third sentence of your post. :)

I haven't thought much of anything I'd seen on TW for the Wii...but, like you, I keep hearing how much fun people are having with it. I may have to give it a shot.

You mention Wii Sports though; and it's probably about the same thing. Not much depth there, but just fun to play. Tiger probably has that...but then throw in the better controls (than Wii Golf) and full features of a Tiger Woods game, and that's probably why it is so enjoyable.

16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember hearing someone say once that they called Nintendo about a similar problem. The helpdesk at Nintendo actually told them to slam the thing against their hand at a certain angle and it would unjar the gyros inside.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Wii Sports is a collection of mini games to introduce the remote and it's uses.

There will be more comprehensive versions of the sports at a later date....

I think the Wii is brilliant.

DD

18. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

From a technical standpoint, it's not that great. The graphics are good, but certainly not next-gen. But it was already a good game, and add the fact that controls work so well, and it makes a really fun game. My tendency to slice from the last time I played a round 3 years ago showed up immediately. It's a great group game. I get this call at least two times a week now: "Can I come over and play Tiger Woods? I'll bring beer."

After playing Tiger Woods on the Wii, playing it on any other system is like playing Guitar Hero with a regular controller.

19. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

is mario party out yet?

20. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 29th