1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official Wii Launch Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Nov 13, 2006.

1. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Saturday @ midnight = Sunday.

Stores usually release this stuff at 12:01 AM.

2. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I kept thinking Nov 19th was Monday. My bad. I guess I'll be making a trip to the stores on Sunday morning. Woot!
    Wonder how much a Wii and 3 extra remotes and 2 games will cost. That's about $600?

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

wii = $250
    wiimote (with nunchuks) [x3] = $120 ($180)
    games [x2] = $100

total: $470 ($530)

keep in mind, you might wanna pick up a sd memory card (don't bother buying a wii brand one...just get a generic one it'll be like 20 bucks as opposed to 50)

if you have hdtv, component cables are a necessity...420i (default tv) over to 420p (progressive scan) is a HUGE difference.

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

5. Yonkers

I have a Dell 2405FPW monitor.
    I also have a Xbox 360 that looks crappy on my 32" Sony Wega. Or at least Dead Rising looks crappy because I can't even read the words on the screen, so I've stopped playing it.
    I want to start playing on my monitor instead. What cables would I need for the Wii and for the Xbox 360 for that matter.
    Thanks.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

that's a good question. I couldn't tell you, for one thing I think you would need a certain type of video card with component input...most have dvi, but I don't think that xbox360 has dvi out...and I'm fairly certain wii doesn't.

7. Yonkers

I think it Wii and Xbox would hook directly into my monitor. It has all sorts of inputs in the back. I just don't know enough about them to know which one is best and which cable to get.
    Hopefully RC will see this post and answer.

8. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I'm really weak at knowledge on how to hook up these things (especially these newer machines that support HD). I'll give it a try though...

Is this the monitor you have?
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/2405fpw/en/about.htm
    [​IMG]
    According to the manual, 3-7 are probably the connectors you want to look at. 3 is S-Video and 4 is composite. I think both of these are kind of older connectors, so you might want to avoid these (not capable of HD resolutions AFAIK). 5 is the component connectors, 6 is the DVI connector, and 7 is the VGA connector. The 360 comes with component cables (actually a component/composite hybrid IIRC), and a lot of people use that I believe. It should look nice. MS also sells VGA cables, although I don't know if there is much of a difference between it and component to bother paying for (unless you want to watch movies in 1080p on the monitor...not sure if that is supported). I don't know much about DVI, but I don't think you really need to bother with it for either the 360 or Wii (don't think either support it unless there is some adapter).

The Wii is pretty much the same story, except for the VGA part IIRC. You'll have to buy component cables from them though, but that would give you the best quality AFAIK. Since the Wii isn't HD, you could probably get by using composite or S-Video cables, but it will look nicer with component.

Again, I don't really have any experience doing this (only hooking up my PS2 to my old TV), but I'm guessing that is how things work based on what I've read.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm saying the Wii mostly responsible for the delay. Sure you can delay Zelda another 8 months and make the game look and play even better on the GC. That doesn't mean it couldn't have been released before.

10. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I could have sworn somewhere that I read there was more actual content added. I'll try and find it.

11. RC Cola

IGN reviewed Super Monkey Ball...
    http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/746/746040p1.html

12. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

My bro-in-law is a Nintendo fanboy... his is being shipped to his house on Friday the 17th. Don't know exactly how, but he got them to confrim it. The cool thing for him is that is his wife loves all the mario games, and he can actually play them with an adult.

He has every single Nintendo system to date (consoles, not hand helds)...

I am the Sony fanboy of the bunch...

My wife's other sister... her husband has every format known to man...

So I hardly buy any games... just the important ones (SW titles ;) , or games for the kids).

13. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

If you guys are looking for shipment numbers...

www.ps3seeker.com/wii

Most Targets I think are getting around 60ish Wii's, Best Buy/Toys R Us should be getting a ton as well, as well as Walmart.

14. RC Cola

Gamespot review of Excite Truck:
    http://www.gamespot.com/wii/driving/excitetruck/review.html?sid=6161717

15. Yonkers

That's disappointing about Excite Truck since that would have been the game I got after Zelda. Now I'll have to look for another game since I want 2 (besides Wii Sports).
    Re: the monitor, yes that is exactly that one I have. Now I'm not sure whether or not VGA is better than component, though.

16. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I would have given excite truck about a 7.3 from playing it...but yeah...that's a fair review it's not that great if you ask me.

17. RC Cola

I think VGA is better, but I'm not sure how much better. I'm not sure if your monitor supports 1080p (it supports 1920 x 1200, which is better than 1080p, so maybe so...not sure how monitor resolutions work with HD resolutions), but the VGA cables would allow you to watch movies in 1080p (both HD-DVDs and DVDs being upscaled); component would only give you 720p/1080i. Component does support games in 1080p though IIRC (not sure if many 360 games will have a native resolution of 1080p though).

The 360 VGA cables cost like $40 IIRC. Maybe you can get some help from some of the other 360 owners. I have no idea how the VGA cables compare to the component cables at the same resolution.

18. Yonkers

Quick research tells me that VGA is better than component too. Supposedly it's both RGB but that component compresses and then decompresses at least once so there is quality loss. Whereas VGA is supposedly purer.

19. RC Cola

IGN has reviewed COD3:
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/746/746145p1.html

20. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member