1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official Wii Launch Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Nov 13, 2006.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Gamespy has reviewed Zelda:
    http://wii.gamespy.com/wii/legend-of-zelda-wii/745573p1.html
    More at the link.

5/5

2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

3. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Nintendo of America has confirmed to GameDaily BIZ that a DVD-enabled Wii is indeed coming to the U.S. Previous reports suggested that this may have been a Japan-only promotion. Sonic Solutions will be providing the DVD navigation software for the Wii.

How gay......they should have implemented this in the first place.

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

that pissed me off when I saw it, but truthfully...I mean why even bother -- you can buy a dvd player for 20 bucks. soon enough we'll all be watching blue ray or hd-dvd anyway so...it doesn't affect anything for me. it's still stupid, don't get me wrong.

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Turns out you aren't supposed to call it a Wii-mote. I was at a Best Buy and a Nintendo rep was there with some bags talking to a couple of the employees in the games section. All of the sudden, he pulled out the Wii Remote and handed to the female employee who wouldn't let her male coworker hold it. It was pretty funny watching her mess with it even though there was no Wii to use. Anyways, they called it a Wiimote and the rep said, "don't call it that, they are stressing that it's not supposed to be called that. It's the Wii Remote."

Anways, I asked the girl if they were setting up a demo system and she sighed and said no, that they wouldn't be getting one for a few days and I mentioned playing it at Gamestop and she said they sucked in a jealous way.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

it's my party and I'll call it a wii-mote if I want to. if anything nintendo should like the fact that people are affectionately calling it that, it's catchy.

7. El Toro

El Toro Contributing Member

I'd appreciate if someone could clarify the whole issue with preodering a video game system and the rationale behind waiting in long lines to get one.

The only experience I have with people waiting in lines for a new game system was with the PS2 and that was because of limitations in the number of units manufactured along with the huge success of the original Playstation. This time around are U.S. consumers extected to anticipate this scenario across the board for all new gaming systems or have game makers learned from the past and produced plenty of systems for all who want to buy one? In other words, how realistic is it to expect to buy a Wii in stores this holiday season without any preoders or camping out in front of Best Buy the night before?

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'd say they're pretty good, there will be alot of wiis...but don't make any mistake they will sell out initially. with that said I wouldn't be utterly shocked if you could walk into a store and buy one on launch day...but you better be in there early.

also, I think an understated factor will be that some people will be shut out on ps3...and because they will be shut out on ps3 they will probably try and go after a wii or maybe just due to sheer price. it's hard to make a quantifiable measure of just how huge things will be...but I do think wii will be the must have item. there will be alot, but I wouldn't risk it...is all I'm saying.

#28 seclusion, Nov 13, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

10. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

You could apply that game to just about every major release. Anticipation is a b****.

I'm still worried whether or not Zelda with the Wii controls will work or not. I'm not planning on getting a Wii at launch, so I figure by the time the reviews start piling in I'll know whether or not it will be safe.

11. RC Cola

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14430
    How much of a higher price? The Wii should benefit from the transition to 65nm early next year almost as much as the 360 and PS3 will benefit (as well as having 6+M systems mass produced). It seems like a waste to pay say $25-$50 more just for DVD playback...unless they're including other stuff with this new Wii...in which case....um...yeah.

12. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Since my PS3 may not be coming in, at least I can play with my Wii...

...and then on Nov 19th when Nintendo ships my Wii, I'll be able to play with that too.

*this has been your NIMF approved bad joke of the day*

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It was almost ready to be released 8 months ago before they pulled it back to add the Wii controls. The Gamecube delay to December isn't because of finishing touches. I wouldn't bet on the Wii being noticably prettier than the Cube version..

I don't have doubts on the controls. Zelda is one of Nintendo's benchmark titles to show everyone their new idea. Much like how Mario 64 was to 3D or how the N64 Zelda refined controls in 3D games.

I think every Nintendo fanboy would lap it up if all they added was a mini fishing game that reminded you of TOoT.

Knowing how Nintendo works and how cheap the Wii is to make, your wallet would want the Wii not to do well because Nintendo can and would slash prices for next holiday season.

I still think its a great buy for a console this year but I don't consider the Wii as next gen when you put it up against the PS3 or 360. It's more of an awsome niche toy, and their reps don't deny it.

#33 Invisible Fan, Nov 13, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  14. RC Cola

IGN reviews two Wii titles:
    Trauma Center: SO
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/745/745710p1.html
    8.0 from IGN, no score yet from Metacritic.

Wii Sports
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/745/745708p1.html
    7.5 from IGN, no score yet from Metacritic.

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I had never heard of this website until I saw it on game rankings, but so far I'm impressed with their reviews, especially the one of zelda: lawrence

wii hardware link
    the legend of zelda: twilight princess link

ocarina of time has my vote for best game of all time, I had been waiting for a sequel to it...even going so far as to boycott gamecube because of windwaker [not joking...]. so I was a bit worried twilight princess wouldn't live up to the experience, reading that review made me very happy and reassured. I can't wait until saturday night.

16. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

for the record, no there is no graphical differences between gc / wii. however I have an egm magazine showing what the game looked like before they 8 month delay and after; the twilight levels for example look drastically different and better. you're basically complaining about something that happens to all great games -- they get delayed...period.

I can't count how many times a blizzard game has been delayed. in fact you can always count on it to happen. I would wager to say that's part of why they're always phenomenal.

#36 seclusion, Nov 14, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  17. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I feel the same way but Zelda doesn't come out for a while right?

Windwaker gameplay was great, just the graphics were goofy.

18. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

it launches saturday @ midnight alongside the wii! as for windwaker, I don't have a problem with the game or the graphics. the problem I had was before gamecube was released they had a tech demo featuring a grown up [and more mature] link fighting ganondorf and they said it was the new zelda -- then they showed up with windwaker. this is essentially the game I had been waiting for since then.

19. RC Cola

20. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I thought the Wii comes out on November 19th. How come you guys are getting them on Saturday?