1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official "Sonics Firesale Watch" thread....

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tigereye, May 6, 2007.

1. tigereye

tigereye Member

OK, after watching this season and this series go down, we all know what this team needs. And it can possibly be had for cheap or even "rape deal" in Seattle....

Why?

The Sonics were unable to get legislature passed to get a new arena constructed in the Seattle suburb of Renton, WA. The current owner, Clya Bennet has gone as far as to say the Sonics will not stay in Seattle after the 07-08 season, thus alienating many fans in the Seattle area. For more info see my previous thread on this subject.

So next season looks like a 'lame duck' season in Seattle. With that prophecy looming, I doubt Sonics owner Clay Bennet will want to be strapped with a large payroll.

So hence a looming "Florida Marlins-like" firesale...

Let the fantasy trade scenarios begin.......now.

2. tigereye

tigereye Member

More on that "Firesale' prophecy......this from the The Puget Sound Business Journal

Mark my words.....the firesale is coming. Morey better not miss out on this....

3. Matchman

Matchman Member

After watching "The Game: Ray Allen", i think he wants a ring more than anything.
    Houston Rockets is a perfect team for him
    We need as many 3-point sharp shooters as possible
    People will not say Allen is riding a championship team to victory because we are a failure this season.
    Allen will start at SG, move Tmac to PG to solve our PG problem.

Starting lineup:
    Yao
    Hayes
    Battier
    Allen
    McGrady

we own the whole league for the next 5 years

4. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Member

T-Mac is NOT playing PG for a whole season all game. No way. I agree we could use Ray Allen, but we could also use Rashard Lewis.

I just don't see us acquiring any of their players. We have nothing outside of T-Mac and Yao and we don't have a lot of cap space either. I'd rather try to get Chauncy Billups than Allen or Lewis to be honest.

5. meh

meh Member

If we go for broke and offer Head/Battier/fillers/picks, then maybe Seattle will listen. In which case, we're looking at a lineup with Allen in place of Battier, and a shortened bench. This would severely limit our window of opportunity to win, but after watching this series, we might not have anything better out there.

6. GATER

GATER Member

Pardon me for interrupting your wet dream.

Ray Allen has 3 more seasons on his contract and will make $16M next season.

There isn't any way short of bribery the Rockets could land Ray Allen.

Ray Allen for Juwan Howard, Rafer Alston, and Sura's expiring contract only works in Fantasy Land.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

But they could resign Jake or Deke in a S&T to make up the difference, right?

Do a one year deal and include them with Rafer, Juwan and Sura?

DD

8. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

rashard lewis is going to opt out this year and be a free-agent. stop talking about him.

luke ridnour and chris wilcox should be looked at for possibilities though.

9. two-sandwiches

YOUNG PLYERS GUYS....thats what we need , I don't think Ray Allen would be attainable...only because of the lopsidedness of exchanging our weak talent who wants our old throwaways even for monetary purposes....but we could use some guys to grow who can play and have an edge and some years ahead of them.

I would love Ray Allen more than Rashard but I would take either one ....I'm just tired of having players with a small window and would love to reenergize this team and its future.

10. Sooner423

Sooner423 Member

Ridnour would be nice.

11. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Member

I would love to somehow package Juwon and Alston in a deal for Lewis and Watson or Ridnour.

Yeah....one can dream.

12. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

exactly. the OP is forgetting that we're talking about Jesus here.

13. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

what about that french guy??

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Rockets best bet in terms of a Sonics firesale would be for them to try to orchestrate a S&T Rashard Lewis for Battier+1st round pick type deal.

The Sonics might be interested in that as they get a good "solid player/citizen guy" in Battier at a cheaper cost.

Aside from Lewis, if the Rockets are serious about changing the tempo of thier offense, maybe they could find a way to get Ridnour.

I dont see anway we could get Allen or Wilcox.

15. tigereye

tigereye Member

GATER.....we have a different situation on our hands.

We have a "FIRESALE" possibly on our hands......and we have all seen what happend the the 97 Marlins after they were not able to get legislature passed to fund a new playpen. Or you could alos see what happened tothe 94 Montreal Expos after not getting a new ballpark. All that wealth of young talent.....gone

When it comes to this type of situation...anything can happen adn anyone can be traded, including Ray Allen. Someone quick, what did the Astros give up to get Moises Alou again?

16. Yetti

Yetti Member

Hayes and Battier are only good enough to come offf the bench! We need a real Power Forward!!.

17. tigereye

tigereye Member

OK, Ill do the reasearch....

On November 11, 1997. the Astros aquired Moises Alou for....

Oscar Henriquez, Manuel Barrios and Mark Johnson

This is a pure example of a Firesale deal....now let the wet dreams begin

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Dammit, Gater, must you always inject REALITY into these threads?!?! :mad:

19. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Member

Can you imagine basketball without a salary cap? The Bobcats would stay the Bobcats and the Lakers would have an all-star team every season. It's too bad that we couldn't make it work for Allen salary wise, but the NBA would be a drastically different league without those restrictions. I like my NBA the way it is.

20. tigereye

tigereye Member

Oh and BTW....to even further my point, this firesale trade came after Alou set career marks at that time with 23 homers and 115 RBI in the '97 season.