1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The official KPJ as building block thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, Mar 2, 2022.

?

KPJ part of your Rockets foundation?

1. Yes

36.4%
  2. No

63.6%
  1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If we were judging strictly based on court ability/performance, Porter wouldn't be far behind Green in terms of future potential. He's shown a much improved jumper, outstanding on ball defender, and an explosive athlete who has shown playmaking ability. I don't hold it against him that the team has no PG and he has been forced to play there full time.

But people don't get judged in such a vacuum. Porter yet again this season proved he is a moody headcase prone to explosion when things don't go his way. This team was playing in about as low stress an environment as a team can play, and we still saw the same BS. One sour apple absolutely can ruin a locker room.

Maybe he will mature, maybe he will be able to harness his emotions and turn them into assets while staying out of trouble off the floor. I have absolutely zero confidence he will. When we do enter winning mode, when all the crap these players are doing wrong now (not just Porter) needs to be addressed, I think he will be an active detriment to anybody trying to coach this team, and to the players around him.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

3. i3artow i3aller

4. RocketsDraftTV

I don’t see it, but I hope I’m wrong

34to11 and PatBev like this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

May be time for a new eyeglass prescription! :D

ApacheWarrior and DaDakota like this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is amazing, KPJ has some serious moves and the more he plays the more efficient he is going to get.

DD

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  7. corrado

corrado Member

KPJ was a good gamble when we were forced to start rebuild with almost no young talent. And it made sense to keep him when we did not know if Jalen and co would pan out. But now we know we got a nice young core, need to build a good foundation to some day start competing again. This year was a good test if KPJ can be counted on and unfortunately once again he proven he can go off the rails at any time.

The talent is there, but I do not think he can be trusted enough to make him part of our young core. He is a great player to add as a X factor to already established team (like Rodman to the Bulls or Sheed to the Pistions), but you just can't build on something that can explode at any time.

34to11, jcmoon, groovemachine and 2 others like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Draymond Green is even more of a head case than KPJ, on and off the court.

At least KPJ did not drive the best player off his championship team.

jcmoon and ApacheWarrior like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

11. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think he's reliable. You can't count on him being one of your best players no matter how talented he is. He constantly quits on games and his teammates. Bad attitude rubs off. Don't want a Kyrie situationZ

34to11, jcmoon and groovemachine like this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

You can see in the clip KPjr being guarded by Mikal Bridges and Torrey Craig.
    So could he play the 3 is just a non argument...wouldn't be much change at all.

#832 ApacheWarrior, May 8, 2022
    Last edited: May 8, 2022
    groovemachine, D-rock and Plowman like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think some of you folks better start thinking why, rather than why not.

DaDakota and D-rock like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Or can, instead of cannot.

Plowman likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Another pass first PG led team has bit the dust in the playoffs.

Bobbythegreat and Plowman like this.
  17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I think what most people mean when they say KPJ is not a true point guard is that he really doesn't have great court vision or elite passing. He's more of a SG with good handles.

Luka or even James Harden aren't traditional PGs but they are great playmakers because of their court vision and passing ability.

Either KPJ or someone on the team has to be the main playmaker down the stretch in key moments. Tatum has become that for the Celtics. Draymond is that for the warriors. And, if your best players don't have that then you need to acquire a PG.

KPJ could still become that guy but it's a fair criticism that he isn't there yet.

34to11 and Little Bit like this.
  18. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Tatum was not a playmaker his first few years he had to learn how to become one.

D-rock likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Averaged over 6 AST past 2 seasons playing PG for the FIRST TIME IN HIS CAREER.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

And his defense is still not better than average.

KingSamJack likes this.