1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official KPJ as building block thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, Mar 2, 2022.

?

KPJ part of your Rockets foundation?

1. Yes

36.4%
  2. No

63.6%
  1. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Communicating with memes to say posters are immature?

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

If both KPJ and green split PG duty we might be on to something

vator and cmlmel77 like this.
  3. vator

vator Contributing Member

I feel like I didn’t see it as much after the first quarter, but I could be wrong.

KPJ finished with a really good scoring game so at the risk of not sounding like a hater, I won’t complain too much. He’s a very talented young man. Had a better overall game than Jalen to me at the end of the day. I don’t feel like they played off one another well at all this game for the majority of the game. I didn’t like that.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

So, the idea is that we have a Portland style of backcourt - with no PG just 2 attacking guards that can also pass.

We now need a Slashing cutting taller small forward, a PF that can hit the 3pters consistently and not clog the paint....same for a center.

Might mean you move Sengun for someone that fits our guards.

DD

Corrosion and vator like this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The better he does, the more they'll hate him.

Here's hoping that hate continues to grow.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

yes, move Sengun to reshape the roster around a KPJ-led backcourt. No disrespect but that sounds like a terrible idea.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Not KPJ, but Green and KPJ......

Sengun needs to have a 3pt shot or he is a lane clogger and he is not a rim runner.....someone like Capela fits better with an outside in attack.

DD

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

In some ways I feel like we are back with the Francis and Cat backcourt of score like crazy and no defense.

That team got the # 1 pick (Yao) so let’s hope lightning strikes again!

I don’t know what to make of KPJ. Has all the talent you could want and he’s balling out no doubt. Just not sure how or should you build around him.

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Last 5 games - 28 PPG 8.4 AST 6.6 RB

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

KPJ is turning into a reliable scorer. I like that. He is a SG who can pass. Green needs him now, or he will be overwhelmed by multiple defenders. Giving Nix more minutes when either KPJ or Green are on the bench might be helpful. We are a developing team after all. I want to retain KPJ if he can gain mental maturity and learn from a veteran guard. It's a blessing in disguise than Wall sat out, but Wall could have been a good teacher, if he accepted being the PG off the bench.
    @ApacheWarrior

#631 saleem, Apr 5, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
    KingSamJack, D-rock and apollo33 like this.
  12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

KPJ has been more than solid along with Green. He's been quite impressive despite some TO issues

saleem, D-rock and Plowman like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun is 19....maybe don't give up on him developing his 3 ball before he can legally drink. He's shown that he can hit it, he just needs some time to get good at it.

mikenm268, saleem, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

this reads like a man that's learned a lesson or two the last few months. bravo sir

Rocketeer likes this.
  15. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

wow! Green haters asking for time for our rookies to develop before they get criticized.
    Luckily they have learned their lesson!

Phillyrocket and Rocketeer like this.
  16. vator

vator Contributing Member

I mentioned a page or 2 ago. I don’t know what KPJ is going to give me from night to night and there was a little push back. He seemed to approach tonight differently than the previous game against Minnesota, which was also different from the previous 2 Sacramento games. He’s aware that he needs to find the right balance based on this quote.

Or we can just put him on the wing and let him do his thing.

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. cmlmel77

But he’s clearly hurting Green, who has been horseshit in the last 5 games.

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U being sarcastic? Green is literally on a 5 game streak of 30+ pts....

Most of the issues folk has with him is he is not making the passes that set his teammates to wide open shots mainly due to his inexperience at pg.

It's more of a playmaking complaint than his offensive contribution.

Oh folks are also hating on kpj cause he's a ticking mental time bomb

19. cmlmel77

Yes, I was being sarcastic. KPJ and Green’s performances are so obviously positively correlated.

Criticizing his play making is fine (though his overall assists and a/to ratios are pretty good), but I keep seeing posters claim KPJ can’t coexist with Green or is hindering his development. Hell, another thread on the first page claims the one guy shooting well tonight was only shooting to stop Jalen from getting 30. The “whipping boy” nature is tiresome.

As for his natural position, I have no idea. But he has improved by leaps and bounds this year and he’s 21. Maybe give it time? And recognize that many of the best SGs did not have “natural PGs” next to them because they were so ball dominant.

In the meantime I find these two a blast to watch. They are still losing because their frontcourt defense and bench are atrocious, but the backcourt is a blast.

KingSamJack, saleem, jiggyfly and 3 others like this.
  20. Caesar

Caesar Member

Paolo is probably the best fit if KPj really part of the future with Green. I can see Tillman falling in love with Iveys explosion and excitement though. Dollar sign eyes. If the Rockets fall in love with Ivey, im glad KPj has showed out and upped his value recently. It only helps the Rockets in the coming months.

Aruba77 and Denovo like this.