1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Trading Sengun? Stop me if you've heard me talk about this one. We're talking #Rockets LIVE right now ...

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

The official KPJ as building block thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, Mar 2, 2022.

?

KPJ part of your Rockets foundation?

1. Yes

36.4%
  2. No

63.6%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

And that is exactly one of the main reasons I am against such unbalanced rosters....some people get left behind, or no one gets enough PT to properly develop

DD

vator likes this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So the solution of the fear of leaving someone behind is to leave them behind from the start for worse players at other positions?
    The Rockets roster is very unbalanced, and the one most likely left behind is not a guard.

3. vator

vator Contributing Member

As soon as we face a real team that actually crowds you on defense, you see why Scoot ultimately needs to be a secondary playmaker instead of the initiator of the offense. ‬Love his talent, but I have to keep it real.

Hank McDowell and Aruba77 like this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

He is a block something ;)

5. anchel

anchel Member

Can't stand this guy's softness and overall attitude on the court. What a waste of talent.

6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

He needs to stop trying to be fancy - that alone cleans up most of his turnovers.

DD

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

vator likes this.
  8. vator

Today made me sad. I was hoping he was past this.

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

His passes are lazy - a lot of them, slow flicks of the wrist etc....because he can get away with it most nights but against Minny a team that presses and plays the passing lanes they will gobble that stuff up.

KPJ can be a superstar in this league, but he has to grow up, and stop trying to do fancy until he is efficient on the little things.

DD

vator likes this.
  10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Man I must just be hallucinating because I see KPJ’s talent and ability to dominate one on one with the ball in his hands; indeed a talented combo guard. But I don’t see great court vision. I don’t see him able to set his teammates up for plays. And I don’t see him taking care of the ball. He really isn’t a point guard, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t a talented player.

I would be very disappointed if we ran it back next year with Green as the starting point guard. Yes he’s shown improvement as a player, but I don’t think so much as a point guard.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I see Jalen Green set his teammates way better than KJP. No redundant dribbling

HorryForThree likes this.
  12. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

KPJ as a defender:

13. vator

This is a really GREAT play, but he only does things like this in flashes. He absolutely flashes greatness. The problem is he is terribly inconsistent in making these types of plays though.

I have so much hope for him, but he is the biggest head-scratcher I think I've ever watched put on a Rockets uniform.

Certainly one of the most polarizing.

Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agreed.

And he had a turnover filled night.

Thought those were a thing of past.

vator likes this.
  15. PatBev

PatBev Member

Off the top of my memory MJ & Kobe never had a “Cp3” type point guard. They had Derrick fisher & steve Kerr lol

If Kpj & green can pick up next year where they are leaving off I think we do great. Get them a real PF or center who sets real screens. Green will probably start wanting that ball more which will help balance their usage rates

D-rock likes this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Not if Silas has anything to do with it. He said last night’s game was the perfect amount of shots for Green to take - 18. Maybe he’s right and we will be better team without JG being the focus of the offense, but I certainly don’t agree. Green should be the focus most of the time, but yes, KPJ and Jaygup should get plenty of touches too.

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Can you imagine how good our guys would be if they had some true veteran leadership?

Like a Shane Battier etc......

DD

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you got that same energy with Green?

cmlmel77, D-rock and Bobbythegreat like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

20. vator

Here is the problem with this analogy. Green has consistently played around the same way against bad teams and good teams for the past 2 months. I'm not talking about shooting percentages. I'm talking about his approach and the way he plays. You for the most part know what you're going to get from Green now and he's just a rookie. Whether or not he makes shots is another thing.

As a caveat, in his defense, KPJ is a guy tasked with more responsibility as the primary initiator of the offense so everything he does is magnified, but Kevin Porter Jr. is a guy you go into each game wondering what you're going to get from him that night. Again, I'm not talking about just shooting, I'm referring to the way he approaches the game. He is wildly inconsistent. I go from thinking this dude is a future all-star to thinking he needs to be a spark off the bench and that is because I still don't know what kind of player he wants to be.