1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official KPJ as building block thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, Mar 2, 2022.

?

KPJ part of your Rockets foundation?

1. Yes

36.4%
  2. No

63.6%
  1. Rockets4Life13

I'm starting to get concerned with his injury history and I think he is aswell. Whenever he drives hard (which isn't happening as frequently as last season) he seems to be hobbled every damn time.

I can't even remember a time where he drove and didn't get up walking funny. I think it got into his head which is why he's avoiding contact on almost every drive.

I also think he's not natural as a PG. I need my PG, as in primary ballhandler, to hit atleast 80% on free throws. Earlier in the year i thought it was just a weird slump but his FT shooting is getting worse.

You can't have a primary ballhandler shooting 58% from the line. That's just not good enough.

theDude and fattz like this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Any franchise counting on him is gonna regret it.

He's the type of player you take a chance on and possibly reap some benefits, not the type you build around.

He will be a perpetual bomb waiting to go off, which is OK in a dumpable player.

3. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Amen bro!

Brandon Jennings should really be on the radar of every team because he put up 50 once too!

vator and Tmac1Yao11 like this.
  4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Focusing on KPJ now that Green embarrassed you, huh?

Dobbizzle, jiggyfly and Zen Tabak like this.
  5. conquistador#11

Basically a rookie playing the PG position. He can easily average 16/9 assists without even trying. But he has work to do with getting others to their spots that comes from experience and film.

Plowman, lionaire and PatBev like this.
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Ivey is not a traditional PG either. He is a scoring guard with an ok outside shot. He would be no better of a match with Green.

7. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He’s a talented basketball player who’s still young, but I’m not sure if he’s really found his niche. I don’t think his future is as a PG. I voted yes, but we’ve got to actually unlock his potential before I’m comfortable signing him long-term.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. lionaire

lionaire Member

Too soon to worry about where exactly he fits in. From a talent perspective I think it's a no-brainer to keep him around. Saw in an article the other day by our guy Rahat that he's scoring around 1.5 ppp on spot ups which suggests he certainly would benefit from being off the ball more.

theDude and Plowman like this.
  9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I don’t know if he’s our future PG, but Green does seem to play better next to him. That’s good enough for me.

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is he hasn't come close to replicating that kind of performance this season. He has remain stagnant/regressed in some areas this season which is usually a breakout year.

I'm fine with giving him another year but need to see some improvement.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  11. marky :)

marky :) Member

KPJ and Green can thrive together in the backcourt. It's when you have Christian Wood standing around with his hands up waiting for the pass every possession that's the problem.

I also think a literal traffic cone would serve better to set screens than Christian Wood.

12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Not sure what to think of him to be honest.

He can calmly hit dagger shots, you see him with occasional nice dimes on pnr, you see tough defense here and there.

I don’t think he’s going to be a star in this league but you can win with him if Green meets his potential and you have another star at forward.

He’s shooting under 40% and his FT under 60% yuck.

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

this is a great take. I don’t think anyone disagrees that he’s got the ability to be a great player, but I want to see him initiate the offense earlier. I want to see the ball move more. There are times when KPJ needs to take over and just take the ball to the hoop. He’s one of the only player on our own team that can get his own shot. But we play better when the ball moves and we don’t just dribble the clock down to 3 seconds.

he has won me over with his improvement. I still don’t think he’s a good fit next to Green and he needs to grow into the role. But he’s a very good player worth locking up for $15 mil per …even if he never becomes a true point guard.

BonziWellsGOAT and xaos like this.
  15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

KPJ only seems to play well down the stretch when he doesn't over think and over dribble.

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Last night Green was listed as PG on NBA game tracker but Porter got 12 assists.

This is what I'm talking about Green and Porter sharing the court.
    Porter feels comfortable now running point and is comfortable
    in his own skin. Jalen is still getting overshadowed.

Rockets need to let Jalen run things without Porter so Green can get a feel
    for the game with Schroder on stand by while on the court as well.
    Green can learn, work on his dribble, passing, quarterbacking the team.

Then bring Green-Porter together in the off season and pre season like bringing
    two strands of a zipper together. Mesh as one thinking alike and
    surveying the court much the same. Exploiting who has the mismatch.
    And yes Porter is correct.....they will be scary to the rest of the league.

PG and SG near 6'6" with their athleticism and opportunities to play make
    with Tate, Sengun, Wood, Kenyon, Mathews, JC, each other plus one of Chet/Jabari/Banchero.

Forget-about-it. Just WoW

#36 ApacheWarrior, Mar 3, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Pass first point guards vs hybrid PGs:

Pass first point guards

Simmons
    Smart
    Rose?
    Lonzo Ball
    Lamelo Ball
    Cunningham
    Lowry?
    CP3
    Beverly

Hybrid or shoot first:

Harden
    Kyrie
    Van Fleet
    Garland
    Brogdon
    Holiday
    Young
    Anthony
    Curry
    Reggie Jackson
    Westbrook/Lebron
    Fox
    Doncic
    Porter
    Morant
    Murray
    SGA
    Lilliard
    Mitchell

The NBA has changed. There are only a handful of “true” PGs or pass first PGs. Everybody on this forum clamoring that the Rockets need a “true” PG are full of it. There are now 3 positions in the NBA and some teams only have 2. Guards, Wings, Centers

Dankstronaut and Plowman like this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yes and No.

Yes - he's a foundational piece for a tanking team.
    No - he's not a foundational piece for a team that will win.

I'm not totally out on the guy, but his poor shooting and turnovers are hard for a team to overcome if that team is trying to win. I think he's best utilized as a bench player and a secondary playmaker.

cheke64 likes this.
  19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

As a pg I’m out. As a wing I think he could be a building block. My concern with KPJ in the future is once he gets a big guaranteed contract if he will be able to keep things together mentally.

But kpj as a pg is not a winning formula.

20. PatBev

PatBev Member

If you actually look at game states you will see where a bunch of starting point guards snd all star have 4 or more turnovers, so that doesn’t worry me.

I give him until the end of next year before I decide if he needs to be moved to the 3. He’s too naturally gifted to give up on him. If John Stockton comes around in the draft I’ll move him but I’m happy giving him another year