1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official Jayson Williams was found to be not guilty of manslaughter thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by keeley, Apr 30, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I should say that I have no idea if race played any role in this.. I believe it was pretty unanimous so I doubt seriously it was a case of letting him off because he was black...

actually in this case I would have worried for him because he is rich.. there are a lot of people who can't stand athletes for the simple fact that they get so much money for playing a game..

celebrity might make him more likable to the jury, but the fact that he is so rich you also have the group that wants to stick it to someone who gets paid so much for a game

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

^^^Folks, what we have here is the most idiotic statement in the history of D&D.^^^

bama, you said the jury wanted to save O.J.'s ass regardless of guilt to "stick it to the man" but I believe the O.J. verdict was largely affected by two other things, the Rodney King trial and a redundantly long, frenzied trial the jury had to sit through. The officers that beat up King got off and what ended up happening in L.A.? Riots that had not been seen since the Watts Riots in the 60s. Then not to mention they had sit through this long trial while staying secluded and guarded at a secure location, they just got sick of it. Now, I'm not saying that this the reason they let him go because we probably will never know the real reason but it's just my opinion.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Well, we know thats the reason for at least one of the jurers. The guy giving the black power fist at the end of the trial made it very clear.

4. mulletman

mulletman Member

doesnt jayson williams have a white mother and black father?

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Do you have a link for this accusation?

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

8. Uncle_Tim

Uncle_Tim Member

Ah yes, here we ago again with the unrelenting insults because I don't see it the way you do. I will explain my disposition to you. Fewer whites live in poverty and in the ghettos than blacks, therefore lawlessness becomes a way of life. Many of them grow up to become criminals and are put away for things such as theft, armed robbery, murder, etc. Because there are fewer white people who are raised in an environment that is criminal, there are fewer crimes by whites. In the eyes of justice, if you are acquitted of a crime, then you are by definition not guilty, therefore you have not committed a crime. If more white people get off the hook than black people, then you have less white crimes committed. Of course I am going to be attacked for my stance on this subject. I didn't even make this about race. The liberals on this board decided to attack me and have come within a hair's width of accusing me of racism. There was nothing that needed to be corrected about what was posted. What needs to be corrected is the misalignment of your left and right lobes.

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Let me reply then:

The US population is more than 80% white, while the black population in the US is a little above 12%. Therefore one cannot disagree in that 80% population pool the number of people that commit crimes would be way above that in the 12% pool. Also, with a larger population there is going to be more poverty in the 80% pool than the 12% pool. Maybe, just maybe if you did it by a percentage of each population then one race would be higher than the other but I'm not saying which one because I don't know but you didn't say that now did you, you just said blacks commit more crimes than whites. I don't know where you got that ridiculous idea that blacks commit more crimes than whites because I've seen and heard more than once that it's the other way around.

Oh yeah, about this quote:
    So the murderers of Emmett Till were innocent because they were found not guilty, right? Yet, later on they admitted to their crimes because they couldn't be tried again (double jeopardy). So they admitted guilt but were found not guilty so I guess they didn't commit a very tragic crime. YEAH RIGHT! :rolleyes:

10. Uncle_Tim

Uncle_Tim Member

So how many black people versus white people live out in Iowa or Nebraska and are tilling the fields? How many white people versus black people live in the inner city? The ratio of whites to blacks doesn't mean much when you are comparing it to the whole nation. The majority of your crimes will occur within an urban area.
    If they weren't convicted then they were not criminals. They could be probably be tried for perjury though in which they would be more than likely be convicted. As far as the law is concerned, they were not guilty therefore they were not criminals. Guilty until proven innocent. I don't agree that people like that should be allowed to go free, but it happens.

11. Uncle_Tim

Uncle_Tim Member

I need to get some sleep. That was supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. Darn communist brainwashing.....