1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official James Harden is not a legitimate #1 option thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hikanoo49, Jan 19, 2013.

1. hltiki

hltiki Member

Though this raises eyebrows, you still have to consider ratios and how ratios change per shot. I haven't looked at the stats, but I know players, particularly #1 options such as Kobe, have had +3 games where they shoot worse than hitting 5 out of 18-20. ****, I think Kobe--and I am a huge Kobe fan--has had multiple consecutive nights where it can be 8 out of 30.

the tiKi

2. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Doubt many can do so as efficiently as Harden this season. He had a many games with over 10 fga.

3. hltiki

hltiki Member

I thought that the sample size was too small to proclaim Harden as a NBA superstar and MVP who was top 5-7, but you cannot deny his talent. He has had 3 terrible games in a month long of back to backs whilst playing roughly 37 minutes plus. Yes, he is young; yes, his overall defense seems on par or perhaps worse than the Carmelo of the past, but you still cannot deny the fact that he draws the most fouls in the league, can penetrate, pass, and finish. Man, I still remember pre-January in games such against the Lakers where he fearlessly and effectively drove and shot in the face of the man who is arguably second to only Jordan.

He is a legitimate primary scoring option; not the #1 since I tend to think that the ball should go to the hot hand of the moment, thus, the #1 option is liable to change not just from game to game, but moment to moment.

the tiKi

4. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

lebron, durant or cp3 aint coming through that door
    im happy we even have somebody that is arguably a top 10-15 player in the league

5. SirKen

SirKen Member

James Harden is a fantastic #1 option just like Jeremy Lin is a great PG who can back him up.

When the loss streak keeps piling up and another coach eventually takes over, you will see that Rockets have a bright future with a great backcourt!

6. torocan

torocan Member

Harden is fine as a #1 scoring option, but at this point in his development I think he's more like Dirk than Lebron.

Lebron can carry his team deep into the play offs.
    Dirk needs to be surrounded with the right pieces and the right coach.

Put Harden in a position to succeed, and I think he's perfectly serviceable as the leading scorer on a contending team.

Ask him to do too much (like play 40 minutes on back to backs) and he's in trouble.

Will he improve to the point he can carry the team by himself? Who knows... however that's not who he is right now.

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Harden looks tired. I don't blame him really. Hes having to carry the team nightly without much help. Most of his baskets ate shots he has to create for himself. Rarely are his teammates creating for him to catch and shoot or catch and go.

Between Mchales remedial offense and the limited players we throw out there it's no wonder we have trouble in half court sets.

No post presence. Morris and Patterson are absolutely average players. What kind of pf's stand in the corner all game long and catch and shoot?

Time to flip some of these average players, Maurie, and get some players that can actually ball...starting caliber.

8. clos4life

clos4life Member

1 thread star. Terrible. I would love for OP to try and get me 10 players that are better #1 options in the league.

9. dream1222

dream1222 Member

he's been tired...

10. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

To be fair, most players needed players around them like Dirk. LeBron is the exception.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

But, this isn't about Harden, this is about "a legitimate #1 option thread."

...look Clutch

...get your thread starters in order. Pick which one is your # option thread, and let's go from there.

12. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Harden is putting up good numbers being the #1 option with really only Parsons and Omar (borderline stable) next consistent offensive contributors. Joe Johnson had Josh Smith, Jeff Teague and Al Hartford. Not to mention Harden is only 23 and is playing his first season as being the primary scorer. Wish I could vote this a -1 star thread.

13. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

he could be a first option if we had a legit 2nd option, teams are doubling him and packing the paint because we dont have anything close to a second star capable of creating his own shot and take over games if needed (Lin ? mwhahaha ; and i really like Parsons but come on, no way he would be the second leading scorer on a good team)

14. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

We were scoring 120 something points when we were winning and the ball was in Lin's hands more often. If you noticed in this 7 game losing streak, Harden had the ball more often, and it has not panned out very well. Of course there was the 2 X 4 games in 5 nights in 2 weeks, but honestly, I don't think our offense could have shrunk that bad on the first loss of the 7 games.

15. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Harden is 15/60 the last 3 games. Even his FT % has dropped . He is playing big minutes but thats why he gets max salary .His conditioning is garbage it seems considering old ass kobe is effective while playing more minutes than harden.

16. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

I just posted the following in the Rockets vs Twolves thread, but this thread seems more appropriate:

Have any of you guys notice that the coaching staff has forced the ball on Harden regardless of how bad he's played all while stagnating Lin and Parsons? Check out these numbers:

Vs Clippers, Lin: 5-11FG
    Parsons: 7-10 FG
    Harden: 8-20 FG

Vs. Mavericks, Lin: 6-13 FG
    Parsons: 6-14 FG
    Harden: 5-23 FG

Vs Indiana, Lin: 4-7 FG
    Parsons: 6-9
    Harden: 5-19

Granted against the Twolves, no one was doing better, but you noticed that Lin and Parsons stayed on the bench to start the second half while Harden started? With these numbers, one would think that Harden should have come off the bench in the second half. It also tells me that the coaches are going back to Sampson's non democratic ball when we know that we were a 500 team then. When we run and gun we will score a whole lot more points. This is the reason why we're losing guys. We're not playing democratic ball that got us 120 points a game. We're going back to the sh!tty offense we had in the beginning of the year.

Someone needs to tell the coaching staff that iso harden ain't the way to go.

17. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

I keep on hearing from so many of you guys about how many FTs Harden takes

I do think this is a indicating stat but it is not the end all be all. Just because he shoots alot of FTs doesnt mean he is a good#1 option

Look at one of Corey Maggettes years

FG % 43.1
    3 pt % 30.4
    10.0 FT attempts a game
    85.7% FT%
    6.0 rebs
    3.4 assist
    1.1 steals
    22.2 points

By year end, I dont think their stats will be very comparable

18. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

To show how crazy efficient he is since you're making him out to be a chucker that anyone can be if they got enough shots which is simply not true.

It's obvious how bias you are when you factor in your other threads.

Should we trade Omer Asik while his stock is high?‎
    Should we start posting up Jeremy Lin?‎
    Which players style of play does Lin remind you of?
    Who is your favorite Rocket of ALL TIME?!?! (includes Lin as an option)
    Whats makes Jeremy Lin such a true competitor?

19. Jedster

Jedster Member

Hikanoo, much respect to you for keeping your language and your points civil even though just about everyone is bashing you for starting this thread.

It sounds like many people here are willing to consider Harden with the likes of Durant, Lebron, Kobe, Dirk...but just for sake of friendly conversation, I feel that Harden is a star more on the level of Wade. Pretty darn good, but unlikely to bring the team to 50 wins on his own. I mean Lebron made Cleveland legit and a powerhouse in the East for a few years, but Wade never made Miami a powerhouse on his own.

As for the bad performances lately by Harden, I think all the players are just tired this month. If they get a few days off, they'll be fine.

20. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

this thread is not a legitimate first page option thread.
    it should be on the last page.
    Who else should be the #1 option, Lin hahahahahahahahahahahaha