1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official James Harden is not a legitimate #1 option thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hikanoo49, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Jedster

Jedster Member

I don't know Hikanoo at all, but I find his threads interesting.
    I may not agree with the titles, but he does suck me in to make comments and to vote.

Are we supposed to be like a bunch of old farts in the city council or town hall, in that we only make threads designed to be consensus and non controversial?

2. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Hi Superstar,

I dont know how you can say I am biased as I have been a Rockets fan since 84. Most of my past posts were merely questions

I never said he was a chucker. Merely, he is not in my mind a legitimate #1 option. If you wish to debate about it we can, but no point in making random allegations of me being biased based on my old posts of simply asking questions. Facts are:

1. FTs arent everything (look at Maggettes stats which I posted)

2. I think the forum agrees Harden is not a top tier defender

3. As of recently, his "efficiency" has been horrible. 15 for 60 and he has set some recrods (negative ones) which another member pointed out.

Again, I am not saying Harden sucks and I actually like the guy. I think he can be a good #2 or a strong #3 on a championship team. But as of now, he does not seem to be a legite #1 to me as of now.

3. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I guess you like threads like "Lin is a joke" since it's not designed to be consensus and non controversial.

4. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Curious, what's your legitimate #1 option list?

5. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

I guess first season as a #1 option with a completely revamped young rockets team bears no weight in anything :/

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Answer the question already:

Who, in your mind, is "a legitimate #1 option" in the league?

7. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Harden is 23, you hater.

8. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Here is my list. I will put the 10 no brainers in my mind first. Keep in mind a couple things:

a. I am speaking purely of present tense so age does not matter (ex. Anthony Davis has the potential in 3 years but not now). I am basing this completely on their current ability.

b. I am including impact of the entire team and things that help a team win (ex. offense AND defense, leadership, ability to make team mates better etc.).

c. Some of these guys stats may not be as great as Harden BUT the point is that they were not given a "fire at will" go ahead so stats are only part of my evaluation.

So here goes:

1. Lebron

2. Durant

3. Chris Paul

4. Dwight Howard (impacts both ends)

5. Duncan (still amazing #s on both offense and defense, his post play opens up the floor for everyone else)

6. Bosh (although stats low being on superfriend team, he showed in Toronto he could be a good #1)

7. Rondo (not the guy to take last shot but can be the best player on team with all the things he can do to help a team win)

8. D Rose (coming back soon)

9. Nowitski (recovering from injury)

10. Carmelo (this year, he is playing like one)

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thanks.

So you are saying that 2/3 of NBA teams do not have a #1 option?

10. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

In my 2nd sentence, I said "I will put the 10 no brainers in my mind first", other ones will be coming

11. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Isn't "number one option" only taking scoring into account and not defense? I don't think anyone would say Rondo is a number 1 option.

12. teebone21

teebone21 Member

smart man. Hardn needs to grow just like the rest of our young players. On day he will earn the "superstar" tag but as of now his offensive numbers are inflated by freethrows due to him forcing shots in traffic . Last couple of games teams are learning to jump straight up when defending him to avoid foul calls and its shutting him down.

13. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Also I think there's a tier rather than who's legit or not legit. Having the right teammates help a lot like in Dirk's case.

Tier 1

Durant
    Lebron

Tier 2
    Howard
    Cp3
    etc

etc

14. teebone21

teebone21 Member

I add melo to Tier 1, once that guy gets going no one can stop him. Kobe the same way. Melo, durant, lebron, and kobe are tops in league. CP3 is a scorer and faciliator but i would place him in Tier 1 on certain nights but he doesnt have to be the main option to score with his talented team. Harden will get Tier 3 from me seeing as how his offensive moves really come down to eurosteps and 3 pointers. I posted a rookied Dwade video of the things whe was able to do with a subpar heat team, I believe if harden was to expand his offensive moves to more than isolations, he would be alot more effective when scoring.

15. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

yes yes we all know that Lin is the real number 1 option

16. teebone21

teebone21 Member

[​IMG]

just for fun

17. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Hesitant to add a guy to tier 1 that only gotten out of the first round once? He has a lot to prove still.

18. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

1 and 2 are great- yes
    3- not so much, clippers are going to the wcf, he is a good #2 option
    4- yes
    5- before- yes, for the past few years- no
    6- hell nah
    7- conditional yes if you surround him with shooters
    8- yes
    9- No
    10- yes
    Based on this year, I would take Harden over 5,6,7,8, and 9

19. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

^^^meant clippers are not going to the wcf

20. teebone21

teebone21 Member

teams make it out of playoffs not just one player. People need to realize this one day lol. Melo is the top MVP canidate right now and just watching him play makes me mad that denver turned down our offer to get him.