1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

THE OFFICIAL: I hate Joey Crawford thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BonziWellsGOAT, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Know Your Role

Just a fun fact, Joey was ref Game 7 Finals 1994. He's ruined many games at TC I've been to. No support for that guy at all.

2. Rockness

Rockness Member

I thought maybe Joey became a control freak junky / addict later on but as I'm re-watching Game 3 of the 1997 WCF of the Rockets vs. Jazz, he's already doing his controlling of the game early on. Willis gets called for two fouls in about 30 seconds, one one offense where Malone flopped on a loose ball and then Hornacek falls down cutting through the lane. Rudy asks how many team fouls, Joey yells at the table like a mad man with that crazy stare to the side and yells something back and gives Rudy T the answer only after requesting it again. He wants to start the ball on the side after the foul on Hornacek and gives a T to Drexler. You can see him mouthing "It was between me and him (Willis)". Mind you, Drexler was far away. Then on the next freaking play, Eisley hangs on Drexler's arms trying to go for the ball and Clyde just thries to get him off, FLOP and of course Joey makes the call on Drexler!

3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Anyone feel like Crawford actually likes the Rockets..? He always seems to call games our way, especially for Harden.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I've been saying this for a while. I love when Crawford refs our games. He respects Harden and Dwight, and against a team like the Clippers, he'll call techs pretty easily on guys like Barnes.

Zach Zarba on the other hand...

5. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Heavily favored the Rockets tonight.

6. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Sad to say this but he might be the best ref in the league.

7. amos1er

amos1er New Member

Once I saw Crawford was officiating tonight, I knew the Clips never had a chance.

8. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Yep, rockets usually aren't the ones griping when he's there. I don't think he's biased, but he calls games a certain way and some teams don't like it.

9. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Weird to say but I like Joey Crawford now.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Joey Crawford extends series so he was on our side tonight.

1 person likes this.
  11. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Well to be fair Harden and Howard both had 4 fouls early in the 3rd. We shot a ton of FT's, but the Clippers simply fouled more.

Not a fan of Crawford at all. He made sure this game was called outrageously tight. I'm just thankful we pulled out the win. Hopefully no more of these shenanigans for the remainder of the series.

12. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I think those calls on Harden and Howard where fair.

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Joey Crawford has always been a decent ref, it's just his mannerisms and attitude at times that gets on my nerves. Just an annoying personality, but a fine ref IMO.

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Joey was very favorable for us this game. Surprising.

15. frontline94

frontline94 Member

i get this feeling crawford doesnt respond well to griping... i mean no one does, but crawford will call against you so long it is a foul if he doesnt like the griping... clips are gripers

16. jacoby

jacoby Member

The only time I recall hating Joey was during the Lakers series in 09. Other than that, I haven't had any issues with him. Guys like Ken Mauer and Tony Brothers are just horrific though.

Joey sometimes likes to be the center of attention. He is quick to put his stamp on a game with a couple of unnecessary technicals, but other than that I have no gripes with the guy.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

I feel like no refs should like gripers. When players gripe and try to chase you down to complain about a call, that's basically saying "Hey, ref. I disagree with your crappy judgments."

It would piss me off if players hounded me after every single call, like the Clippers do.

18. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Come on guys, just because Joey does us some favours or gives us some benefit of the doubt, does not make him a good referee. He's a control freak, will call quick fouls to impose his will on the game and wants to make the controversial call. He's not the worst, but he's not the best either. He usually calls in favour of the road team, so it surprised me today he really didn't.
    I agree he is correct on most calls when he's not pissed off and calls that do not involve big men. He's horrible at calling fouls on DJ and Dwight.

19. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

Because he fixed a game for the league? That is his specialty- he is always sent where the script is heavy. He always delivers. He fixed a game for the Rockets, and he's the best? The rest of the league does not feel that way.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Joey is just a superstar guy. You notice Blake got some iffy calls tonight too.

Basically a control freak that loves sending superstars to the line. Feels like Harden always has high FT games against him.

Don't worry, We'll be getting Tony Brothers Game 3 :p

2 FTs for you Harden!