1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official I AM SORRY Mike D'antoni Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets4lf, Dec 16, 2016.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

yeah recently, Ryno was saying how it didn't feel like they put up 61 threes.

PhiSlamma15 and D-rock like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If you feel compelled to "Apologize to D'Antoni," I suppose you also have to feel compelled to apologize to Morey, for the free agency season and hiring MDA. It's not like D'Antoni is magic for all teams he's coached. So, Morey matched him perfectly with what he and Harden needed.

PhiSlamma15 likes this.
  3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morey is successful this summer because he is D'Antoni's puppet. D'Antoni dictated the players that he wanted.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

But nothing. I'm very happy, and ... it's too early to declare it a successful hire. If we keep improving defensively then I will definitely admit I was wrong after a complete season. Now I'm just enjoying the little run and I'll gladly say it looks like I underestimated Pringles.

5. raining threes

Really?

Cant be wrong

Just be happy that the Rockets are an entertaining team with a brighter future than they had when nobody cared last year.

6. heypartner

You'te the puppet!

DreamShook likes this.
  7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Don't know whether Morey read following D'Anotni's lead (or have D'Antoni's hand up his ass to control him like a puppet) or not, but the front office does seem to cater to the coach's preference by spending a ton of money on 3 point shooters. I don't remember the front office really listened to the prior head coaches as much.

J.R. likes this.
  8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This isn't the best they've played in the history of H-town, unless you qualify "regular season", then it's a debate.

Here are the thresholds for greatness, as set by the Rockets of old:

Make the conference finals:

In the discussion with the 2014, 1997, and 1977 teams.
    Win the conference finals:
    In the discussion with the 1981 and 1986 teams.
    Win the championship:
    In the discussion with 1994 and 1995.

Otherwise, let's hold our horses on that particular point.

But Go D'Antoni!

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. heypartner

You make it sound like Morey has never advocated layups and 3s. What does Moreyball mean?

10. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

in history? lets not get carried away here.

on another note lets check this thread once the addrennaline wears off and we lose a few games. These boards always meltdown after a few bad losses lol

D-rock likes this.
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I feel like we are at that dangerous point of the season where we have just played a bunch of shitty teams and fan confidence is too high.

We have been impressive this season, but we have not been 60+ wins good, which is the pace we're on right now.

I'm definitely impressed. I predicted roughly 48 wins and I think we will end up between 50 and 55 wins. HCA is within our grasp, which I thought would be extremely difficult to achieve.

I think we should also be sending some credit Bzdelik's way. It must be frustrating preaching defense in a system that tires players out just on the offensive end. You're never going to get an MDA team in the top 5 defensively, but with the personnel we have we have been playing top 15 defense which is a miracle. Ryno and Harden starting, Capela as our anchor. The defense should be much worse but the coaches and the players have STEPPED UP imo. If you take the context away, our defense has still be meh. But considering the circumstances I have been impressed.

Also I THINK as I predicted, MDA's stint as assistant in Philly MAY have made him more open to his lead assistant than the average coach in the league. That experience must have helped him understand how under utilized a competent assistant can be which in turn made him REALLY give Bzdelik autonomy maybe in a way that he never gave Woodson a chance.

There's also a part of me that wants to see MDA vindicated. He is the best offensive coach in the league, I've seen it now.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  12. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I was pretty rough. I even photoshopped Les smiling drunk in his underwear munching on Pringles and drinking Alexander wine with wine stains all over his shirt and undies.

So I'll admit when I was wrong. I apologize Les and MDA. This has been the most exciting season since the 22 win streak season

PhiSlamma15, hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  13. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i want him to get a fair shot to see if he's worth a rotation spot, thats all. i dont even want him out there every game. he's perfect as a 10th man role with spot minutes.

bev's minutes aren't a big problem but with his style of defense and skill he shouldnt be out there more than around 20mpg.if he cna keep this up w/o getting hurt, which he neve rhas since his first year, then his minute should stay the same. ariza is the one who's getting superstar minutes at 35-40mpg, top 5 or 3 leader in inutes played b2b seasons. BUT, i just checked and see those minutes have gone down just enough. i havent checked in awhile, but it was looking like another 35-38mpg season. but this is where kj comes in and helps hem out too, though dekker has beend oing just that. dunno what u think superstar minutes but being top 5 in b2b seasons is an example of what that is

the main thing with kj is his contract only 3m per. if he can give a productive 10mpg it would be a huge help in this new cba. a defensive wing who can slash and run the court and potential for a halfway decent 3ball isnt cheap. rockets are tight on cap space. harrel earned a rotation spot

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Like for the gif. LOL.

15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

We wanted Anderson LOOOONG before MDA got here. We just finally had a chance to sign him. I don't know about Ego though. Wasn't Brewer a player we got because McHale wanted him?

D-rock likes this.
  16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Pretty sad that most all of CF wanted Thibs as coach. This troll who never played pro basketball is out there trying to control every single dribble in an NBA game after screaming himself hoarse shortly after the opening tip.

17. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

yup...he will never win anything if he dont even trust his players. Glad we didnt get him.

18. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Okay haters, after that game there's no way you are still doubting that hiring.

19. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

What kind of "style of defense and skill" precludes a player from playing less than 20 mpg in the NBA. We're in the soft defensive era vs. 20 years ago where players played 30+ minutes and almost killed each other on the court.

I don't care what a player's contract is, if they don't produce as well as someone else then he wont get the minutes. (still wish he'd play instead of CB but we all have to accept the fact hes playing no matter what).

20. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Omg i jizzed when Ariza hit the athreeza .... we have no business forcing overtime let alone keep the streak alive.

Oooooooo what great time to be alive for us rockets fan!!!!

PhiSlamma15 likes this.