1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The [Official] Daniel Theis DNPCD Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swapshop, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Theis will be a sufficient backup center to Sengun this year if we trade Wood. He should never get more than 10 mins unless Segun is in foul trouble and even then if the situation is right you could go with a super small fast lineup and not use him at all.

aaquaa likes this.
  2. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

That Coyote must have the strength of a god. He is able to lift that weight which is strong enough to completely snap a tree in half.

hakeem94 and burlesk like this.
  3. TimDuncanDonaut

Theis was in there to help balance out their starter Steven Adams. Adams was a +13, before having to leave for the ankle. So tough to argue Theis helped out that much on D.

On paper, you can kind of understand the reason for size. It's also possible to argue that hole could have been deeper, but that Q1,

Grizz:40
    Rockets:29

Rocket's first unit was cold on offense, but with bench ended up with a 29. The Rockets defense though, allowing 40 in a quarter. That bad start was the beginning of the end. Team clawed to try to comeback, but hole was too deep.

After Adams left, Theis didn't see too many minutes after. Rockets coach is starting to be where ClutchFans are at, where Theis is only called upon for specific match ups. But if you would go with two bigs, could have just gone with Wood and Sengun.

For Wood's extension, it's better to know now if wood and Sengun works on the Court together. Sengun can sit on the bench for his rookie year, but you can't sit him forever if wood.

#83 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 12, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I hope adam silvers steps in and stop thesis experiment again...

5. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I understand theoretically why he put Theis out there. The problem is you are giving up your identiy and what you are building on to "counter" mediocre player. Adams isn't going to make an all star appearance. I have no problem with Silas game planning around a Harden, Lukka, Giannis, ect but to give up your team chemistry and identity to counter STEVEN ADAMS?

The way you deal with a player like him is find his weakness and exploit it. Sure Adams would have an above average game if no physical body was down there with him and that is OKAY, let him have a bit better game than normal. Adams isn't known for his stamina and for being an offensive juggernaut. The correct answer is keep your small line up like you have been and drag Adams out and exploit him that way, you don't concede who you are for a middling player.

I am sad the winning streak derailed the fire Silas narrative. He was being better lately but it is clear that he will always go back to his old ways.

aaquaa, Bo6, steddinotayto and 3 others like this.
  6. TimDuncanDonaut

Agree here, in the game thread before kick off, I honestly thought we were going to see the small line up with Wood at the 5. If this is our best line up, you have to know if Wood at the 5 can match up with the best of them. Be it a Steven Adams, or when Bucks closed us out, when coach Bud did his 'playoff' lineup adjustment and put Gianni's at the 5 at the end.

If Rockets want to know how much to extend Wood, they need to know how good Rocket's best line up can withstand in a durability test.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Starting Theis was stupid because Adams was clearly comfortable playing with a traditional big man like Theis. Wood at 5 would have been an uncomfortable matchup for Adams.

aaquaa, Bo6, hakeem94 and 1 other person like this.
  8. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

I feel bad for Silas.
    What’s this guy supposed to do, you signed a guy for multiple yrs over the summer and you realize he is definitely worse than Wood and Sengun?

Just don’t play him for the next 3 yrs? Even if you want to trade him you have to play him a bit to “showcase” him? I’m sure Theis wants to be elsewhere as well. Trade him ASAP

aaquaa and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

I know CF is not big on Theis starting; I wasn't either. On paper, people can kind of understand it; he did it size for size.

People (including myself) have the benefit of hindsight... in which case, if the other team drops 40 on us in Q1; how good was Theis' paint defense. Chuck it up to another data point, where Theis didn't make that much of a difference.

If Wood was a mobile big; could Wood have had an advantage on Adams? Maybe our offense wouldn't have been so bad. Didn't the game started with like 11 pt vs our 1pt.

aaquaa likes this.
  10. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

You don't play him and yes you do trade him. His contract isn't considered a problem around the league so you don't need "showcase" him. Gordon's contract you kind of do because they are going to try to get as much out of it as they can whereas Theis' they are going to simply move him however they can without losing assets.

Bo6 and hakeem94 like this.
  11. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

As soon as Theis started I said this was a terrible choice, no hindsight needed. My hindsight was the 15 game losing streak with him in the starting lineup turned into a winning streak as soon as he came out. I was really pulling for Silas thinking maybe he finally came around so he didn't have to get fired but time to open that conversation again.

D-rock, aaquaa, steddinotayto and 2 others like this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Exactly right. There is no logical reason to ever start Daniel Theis on this team, unless you don’t have 5 other healthy bodies. He should only be on the team as insurance if Wood is traded he can become a 10-15 minute backup. That is what Theis is and it seems everybody but Silas knows it.

aaquaa, hakeem94 and steddinotayto like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not feel bad for Silas, he is compensated with a good salary.

aaquaa and hakeem94 like this.
  14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I admittedly didn't see the pregame report or watched any post game interviews but was Silas' reasoning for starting Theis was due to Steven Adams?

D-rock likes this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

would you have trusted him if he did?

aaquaa likes this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and probably a lot of bonuses from players agents

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

who is silass' agent btw?

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Just looking for an answer to my question first.

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, Steven Adams was taking it to whoever we put against him defensively.

Commentators were mentioning such during telecast.

Steven Adams was a +13 in 21 minutes. He was disruptive and the Grizz forced
    switching of our defense to force Adams vs Wood.....Theis vs a guard.

Grizz- had the inside-out game going.....send help defensively to the interior
    and the perimeter shooters (Bane) were killing us. Rockets were down 21 points.
    But then Adams went out and it allowed the Rockets to get back in it.

Grizz- are a good team. They were missing many parts as well. Their parts
    missing are more established in the league though.

steddinotayto likes this.