1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official BoB coaching thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Sydeffect, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

All the experts say Andre is doing fine.

Have any stats to back it up or are you going by the eye test/ defending Fitz?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I guess you could call it the eye test, but you can see him not getting open, not running good routes, not getting any separation, being visibly slower than he was even last season. His numbers are down from last season with better QB play.

3. Mr. Clutch

If he's not getting open and Hopkins is so good, why is Andre the leading receiver?

They aren't passing as much. That's the difference.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Andre Johnson has 22 more yards in 21 more targets....they're trying to get the ball to Andre, but he's not open enough to catch them.....or we could just blame this on Fitz, but then we'd ask why Nuk is catching them at a much higher rate.

5. Mr. Clutch

Also, you want to go by numbers for Fitz but don't explain how Andres yard per route run is so high if he's supposedly declining.

But if you want to go by the eye test, Fitz looks awful.

6. Mr. Clutch

What is Nuke's yard per route run?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How is that more relevant than his 11.3 yards per target compared to Andre Johnson's 7.9? They are trying to force the ball to Andre more so obviously he'll have the most yards per route run....when 2 receivers run the same or nearly the same number of routes, the guy who they target more SHOULD have the most yards per route run.

8. Remii

Remii Member

Oh yea... I forgot all about Vick.
    Mark Sanchez was another one.

Both probably better options than Fitzpatrick.

9. Mr. Clutch

There are so many problems here.

First, if Andre is getting targeted more, that's a sign he's open more.

Or are you saying Fitz is forcing it to receivers who aren't open? I thought Fitz was having a great year?

Secondly, just because Andre is targeted doesn't mean it's a good throw or that the ball is catchable.

That's why yards per route run is a better stat and no one uses yards per target.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's being targeted more, but not catching them....a sign that he wasn't open to begin with. Also, if you want to blame the throws, why is Nuk catching them? Fitz would be better off ignoring Andre more and throwing it to Nuk.

11. Mr. Clutch

If Fitz is targeting receivers who aren't open then why doesn't CJ have more targets?

So Fitz is having a great year...except when he throws to Andre. Andre is holding Fitz back. Brilliant!

Are you really buying what you're saying?

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see how you're watching the games and not seeing that Andre isn't playing at the level Texans fans are accustomed to him playing.

13. Mr. Clutch

The eye test sucks 90% of the time.

Isn't that what you're arguing with Fitz?

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The argument is stats plus context, that's not really the same as "eye test". Fitz has some of the best numbers of his entire career, plus take what PFF would call "adjusted interceptions" and it shows that even his high interception total is misleading. When it comes to Andre, look at how his yards total is low considering how many times he's targeted, especially when compared to how many yards other receivers on the team are getting per target, then you look at how well he's running routes and how well he's getting separation and it explains why he's not getting more yards.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Bobby was one of the main "AJ haters" during the off-season... He even wanted the Texans to force him to retire over trading him. He hasn't said a word in the new "would you trade AJ now" thread _ not a single post. He's maybe still bitter about AJ holding out this off-season so you probably won't make any sense to him.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Doing a great job in Baltimore.

17. Mr. Clutch

PFF uses yards per route run.

Andre is 9th in the whole NFL in yards per route run.

You can't just ignore stats you disagree with.

18. Mr. Clutch

I feel like I'm going in circles with him.

19. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My biggest complaints around BO'B after 7 games:
    1) He seems to be searching for the "perfect game." If we only cut out the dumb penalties and turnovers we'd be right there. IMO, you have to be able to overcome some mistskes. It will usually come down to a play or two every week. I like how much it frustrates him, but he has to find a way to win ugly. They're not going to play penalty free every time.

2) His inability to push the ball deep is really choking the offense. He says there are plays to be made, but if the OL can't block it well enough to complete the throws, what is the use? He needs to find a way to open it up some.

3) I get that he's limited at QB, but I haven't seen a ton of creativity on Offense yet. Not a lot of ISO routes for Foster coming out of the backfield. The slot WRs and TEs haven't contributed as much as I had hoped based on the NE offenses of the past. I also thought we were going to see a bunch of varied attacks based on film study and game plan, but week to week, we look pretty similar. I'm hoping this part continues to evolve as the guys get more comfortable with what they want to do

Speaking of the QB, I hate how "hard" Fitzy throws the intermediate routes. It doesn't come out like a catchable ball.

Hoping for a much-needed win tomorrow and some momentum for the rest of the year. 9-7 would be so sweet, but it might delay the building of the team if it means we don't get to draft an impact QB.

Go Texans!

20. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

Andre was pretty darn fast early on in his career. He ran the 40 in the 4.3 range.