1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The OFFICIAL Bill O'Brien in the hot seat thread.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Snow Villiers, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This years schedule is not much harder if at all

Rocket River

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

My moment was the long anguished look on BO'B's face while the field goal was being kicked

I am just thinking .. THIS . .. THIS IS WHAT THE SEASON HAS COME TOO . . . *HOPING* for a Field goal to just get us within one score . .. . . . .against THAT TEAM

Rocket River

3. Major

Major Member

Agreed - going into the season, it was actually *easier* than last year, thanks to playing the woeful NFC South. But it turns out that division might not be so terrible with Atlanta and Carolina being undefeated - but it should still be a bottom 25% schedule.

But really, until this team makes a commitment to finding a franchise QB, none of the rest of the talk about coaches or defense or scheme or anything else matters all that much. It's just the difference between 3-13 and 7-9.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We've lost 3 games by 7 points each.

But really, they weren't very close.

We had one last drive to tie it in every game. But we score a TD on what, 20% of drives optimistically?

So basically we had a 20% chance just to tie the game.

If the team is relying on a last second drive to tie, the truth is they just suck.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is exactly where I am. You just said it better than me.

6. TheresTheDagger

Way ahead of ya.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=10039149&postcount=82

7. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

One heck of a donezo manifesto. Minus the .500 part, I don't want BOB thinking his current system is working even on a mediocre level.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Josh McDaniels was fired after two years.

Very similar, he made disastrous personnel decisions because he believed in his coaching prowess a bit too much

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

12. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Another of the Bellicheat coaching tree, too.

13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Drafting a FB to play Qb in round 1 (Tebow) will definitely get you a pink slip

14. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Here comes another top 10 draft pick

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

BOB's first year he went 9-7, and McNair doesn't pull the trigger quickly when firing coaches.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

This is spot on. My sentiments exactly.

I can't believe it only took 5 weeks, unreal.

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I was listening to the radio tonight and they were talking about how the organization didn't have any sense of urgency to win. Then they cited the Patriots and Bob Kraft as a team/owner that did.

Huh?

What does "sense of urgency" mean from an organizational standpoint? Firing coaches and GMs? How does that apply to New England? Kraft hired Belichick 15 years ago and has let him do his job. They've certainly been successful but I'm not sure how that screams "sense of urgency".

Do you know what team really projects "sense of urgency"? The Cleveland Browns. They've been in the league 3 years longer than us but are currently on their 7th HC and 7th GM. That's less than 2.5 years per coach/GM. The Raiders have had 9 Head Coaches since the Texans have been in the league.
    If sense of urgency means firing people after a year or two, those two teams are the prime example of it. But it doesn't really seem to turn into wins.

This isn't to excuse OB or anything like that. I just don't agree with the narrative that the team isn't interested in winning or has no sense of urgency to winning.

The goal is to have long term stability. The Pats and Steelers are the model. The Steelers have had 2 HC and 2 GMs in the last 20+ years. Of course, you have to have the right guys. And if you don't have the right guys, you have to move on. But moving on every 2 years, as fans often want, is obviously not a recipe for success.

Again, this isn't to excuse OB or say he shouldn't be fired. Just that if he isn't, it doesn't mean the organization isn't interested in winning.

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

We've been in mediocre QB hell for awhile now. I think BOB deserves a chance to find and groom a franchise QB.

His major mistake looks like Su'a-Filo over Carr, but honestly how can you blame him with the history. By the looks of we should have a decent draft pick upcoming, let's see what he can do.

19. Major

Major Member

"Lack of urgency" is just nonsense speak. The problem with the Texans is not that they don't care about winning - it's that they don't understand HOW to win. You start with the QB position and build around there. As long as they show no interest or willingness to invest in that position, they won't win, regardless of how good they are anywhere else on the field. That's really all there is to it.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

They signed both Mallet and Hoyer, I think they're interested. Problem is both Mallet and Hoyer suck.