1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official Adrian Peterson Countdown

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by lexled, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't say similar injury, but McGahee is doing great.

2. Major

Major Member

Was he injury-prone, or did he just have the one big injury? Peterson's problem seems that he seemed to get a lot of minor injuries all the time - sprained ankles, etc.

3. Possum

Possum Member

I have all these players rated higher than AP so IMO he could easily last until the 5th pick.

Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame
    Calvin Johnson WR Georgia Tech
    Joe Thomas OT Wisconsin
    Brian Brohm QB Louisville

Detroit and Oakland both need QB's in the worst way although knowing Detroit they will pick Calvin Johnson. The Titans need OL and WR. Tampa needs OL and depending on Simms health could look at QB. San Francisco, Green Bay and Cleveland have all kind of needs. These are all teams that could end up picking in front of us next year. The order of teams will determan who gets picked as much as talent.

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Ditto on Martin, who only became one of the most durable pro Rbs ever. Also McGeehee's injury was much worse.

AP is a stud, the best looking pro prospect RB I have seen in a while. (Bush is a part time RB who doesn't break tackles or finish runs like a workhorse).

Of course he will need to impress in workouts (at least 4.4 at around 220, good strength, agility and all around skills), but I think he will.

Top 5 for sure. I think he would be a smart pick by the Texans. He would add explosiveness (yes Bush would have too) and major chain churning (something Bush wouldn't have helped much with). That would help the defense too be keeping them off the field a lot more, the lack of ball control on the Texans offense does hurt the defense.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I would take Adrian Peterson over Reggie Bush EVERY single day.

Bush is a situational player....AP is a workhorse.

The Texans need a workhorse...badly.

DD

6. trifecta333

trifecta333 Member

I remember when the Texans interviewed Reggie Bush and they asked him if he could be a every down back and he said yes. He is doing o.k. in New Orleans, but I think if they drafted him to take over the back field instead of spliting carries and doing some receiving for them he would be getting a bunch of negative reviews because he is only averaging about 3 yards a carry. Adrian Peterson's style is more like that of L.T. and Larry Johnson.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Seriously guys. Haven't we heard ad nauseum that in the Denver system, it's not the running back but the offensive line, that any old back can get 1000 with that system?

If that is really the case, .....then really aren't our problems still with the O-line? If they're not opening holes, then Jim Brown wouldn't get 3 yards per carry, so what's the difference?

I think we are all dreaming about AP. Games are win in the trenches firstly. And if our running game is this poor, you simply can't put it all on the backs. They are obviously not healthy and struggling with the new blocking scheme.

Defensively, it's no different. We've got some major talent on that line. And we aren't getting sacks and can't even get pressure without blitzing and leaving receivers wide open. But I don't really think we need more D-linemen. They are just going to need time to gel. We do need help in the defensive backfield though. We are basically playing 2 on 4 or 2 on 5 back there. We ain't got anybody that can pass defend.

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Oh yes it is in the trenches, I agree. But on a 2 yard play AP might get 5, on a 8 yard run he could take it to the house. He can't do it alone, but he could help a lot. I have not seen any college player that I think would help the Texans more. I would not pass on him if he is there, and I wouldn't trade down just for an extra 2nd or something. I think he is the best prospect I have seen from college AND plays one of the Texans major weaknesses, simple as that.

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

My friend who is a OU fan was just making fun of me cuz i have been calling Peterson AP. He told me its AD (ALL DAY) and told me I cant just make up a new nick name

10. Angle02

Angle02 Member

His nickname really is AD for All Day. The guy gets stronger as the game goes. Over 50% of his yards come in the 2nd half and out of every quarter he gains most of his yards in the 4th. I would love to see him in a Cowboys uniform.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Yes Denver has gotten it done without always having a great back. But, those guys arn't scrubs either. Tatum bell, their current running back was a 2nd round pick. The Texans dont have any decent RB. None of their rbs could start on any other team in the league. And, the fact is, Denver does have a good line and the Texans do not. It wouldnt hurt to bring in a good running back to at least show some improvement. Also, some of their better backs were high round picks like bell or portis, they dont always do it with no name guys. The Texans NEED a running back that can gain more than 14 yds a game (Dayne today). And if Denver uses "any old back" and Ron Dayne was not good enough for them, doesn't that show a serious lack of talent at RB for the Texans? If Adrian Peterson is available when they make their pick, they better not make another mistake and not pick him.

12. timwalters

timwalters Member

i agree except for one thing, the texans still need a rb, and good O-line can come later in the draft like the 35th pick or so....but good-great rbs with skills usually go much higher..i know there are exceptions, but still, Id take the best rb in the first round, then the next pick (early 2nd round) would take a offensive lineman, then the rest of the draft would be defense(secondary)

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Have you noticed that it seems every good athlete has a child out of wedlock?

AD has a kid and a father to support.

14. timwalters

timwalters Member

id hate for the texans to have the 6th pick and take a offensive lineman(robert gallery anyone?)....go with AP and if hes not there,then take the second highest quality rb on the board...this team simply canNOT go into next season with dayne...on another note, it think after Vince Young beats the texans twice this year and looks better than carr by the end of the season, i think people will be crying for a new qb over AP..i wouldnt be surprised if carr is traded and texans draft a qg...KOLB !!!!!

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

wow you guys have short memories. yall do remember the 1000/1000 back we had in DD? yall remember we had a horrendous O-line then too, right?

yes our line sucks but our backs suck even worse. we must draft AP. he is a monster. he has an NFL body that can abuse d-lines, break tackles, and he has breakaway speed. he has the ability to get 5 yards on a 2 yard play. he might as well be reggie bush on steroids.

screw injury concerns...this guy is a franchise back worthy of a #1 pick.

16. imoffg33

imoffg33 Member

robbie is right. we aren't going to pick a running back or a quarter back so we can throw those thoughts out of the window. we are either going to target calvin johnson or we will trade down to bolster our secondary, d-line, or o-line. we suck

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Why would we pass on a RB when we have no good or healthy ones, but take a WR when we have two good ones?

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

exactly. they have no running backs. Even though "the system" can apparently work with any runngin back, Ron Dayne was not good enough even for Denver and he is our STARTING rb. Although the line does suck, our horrendous running backs are making them look even worse

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The needs of the teams, sure. But also the trading partner possibilities. Without the 1st pick there is no control over the draft. Look how well the Texans controlled the last draft! :eek:

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

You should ask your friend if they are still calling him AD up there, should probably be more like HS. :cool:

But the Texans have to take Peterson if available, he does have some durability issues but a cracked collarbone is kind of a freak accident (especially how he got it). The guy has proven he can be a workhorse, he has great size and speed. He runs between the tackles and has unbelievable acceleration.

This team has a ton of holes, but I think its time to just go with the BPA. While I would say a DB is definitely our biggest need right now, we just need to get the best talent.