1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official Adrian Peterson Countdown

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by lexled, Sep 25, 2006.

1. twoface723

twoface723 Member

True. :D

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Detroit has not had a good running back in a few years, and Arizona has never had a good running back. They just got Edge and we havnt seen how that has worked out yet

3. SLIMANDTRIM

SLIMANDTRIM Contributing Member

I'm speaking of this year. You have two teams filled with young WR's and talented RB's and yet combine for 1 victory so far. The point I was hoping some of you would grasp is there is more to a team than picking up nothing but offensive weapons every year in the top 3 rounds yet neglect the trenches and hope to win.

4. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

we may have to wait on Peterson...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2625553

Updated: Oct. 14, 2006, 5:34 PM ET
    Peterson out for season with broken collarbone

ESPN.com news services

NORMAN, Okla. -- Last month, Adrian Peterson told The Oklahoman the one thing that could keep him from leaving for the NFL after this season was a major injury. But the Sooner star probably never expected that possibility to come into play.

Peterson, a Heisman Trophy hopeful and the fourth-leading rusher in Oklahoma history, broke his collarbone on a dive into the end zone Saturday, and will miss the rest of the regular season.

Peterson was injured on his last carry of the game -- a 53-yard scoring run with about 6:40 remaining that completed the 23rd-ranked Sooners' 34-9 win over Iowa State.

Peterson ran for 183 yards and two touchdowns.

"My goals when I got here were to win a national championship first and then have an opportunity to win the Heisman," Peterson told The Oklahoman in September. "Those are the things I want to do, but the only thing right now I know for a fact that would keep me [at Oklahoma] next year is a major injury. God willing, that won't happen."

How Saturday's injury will affect Peterson's draft status for April's NFL Draft is not yet known. Peterson has been projected as a Top 5 pick.

Peterson, a junior who has 1,030 yards this season and entered the weekend as the nation's fourth-leading rusher, was second in Heisman voting as a freshman. He was playing for the first time in years before his father, who had spent about eight years in federal prison for money laundering.

"Just diving into the end zone and when he landed, he landed wrong," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said. "At this point it looks like the best thing, the earliest he would be ready to play, would be a bowl game."

Sooner quarterback Paul Thompson said the team will have to find a way to keep going.

"A.D. is the focal point not only of this offense but the team," Thompson said. "It's big, so a lot of guys are going to have to step up. Not just other running backs. This team as a whole is going to have to step up and pull an extra load.

"He was obviously a great back, one of the best backs in the nation."

Peterson set an NCAA freshman record with 1,925 rushing yards in 2004 as he helped lead Oklahoma to the BCS title game, where the Sooners lost to Southern California. He had rushed for at least 100 yards in 22 of his 30 games at Oklahoma, including nine straight to start his career.

His performance Saturday moved him into fourth place on Oklahoma's all-time rushing list. He would need only 150 to match 1978 Heisman Trophy winner Billy Sims' total of 4,118 yards.

"I'm still not even trying to think about an offense without him, but I guess it is reality," receiver Malcolm Kelly said. "We're going to have to come out and play, man. Everybody came here to play football, and that's what we're going to have to do. We're going to have to do it to a higher level than we've been doing."

Despite all that success, Peterson had been fairly injury-prone in his Oklahoma career. He dislocated his left shoulder in fall practice in 2004, reaggravated it during the regular season and then had surgery in the offseason.

He missed one game last season and was severely limited in three others with a sprained right ankle.

Peterson's backup, junior Allen Patrick, another I-back style runner, will take over the primary ball-carrying duties with Peterson out, ESPN.com's Ivan Maisel reports. On the season, Patrick has 18 carries for 62 yards, with a long gain of 15. Jacob Gutierrez, a Quentin Griffin-style back who helped fill in for Peterson after his injury last season, will likely also see some time.

"We won't make any rash decisions," offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson said. "I don't think the offense is going to change dramatically."

5. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

He will be ok, i'd still draft him.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Yeah, he'll be ready in time for the draft. I would still like to see the Texans draft him.

7. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

My ideal scenario would be that the Texans keep winning and make the playoffs. Then when the draft comes I hope every team before us would be scared to draft a running back with a history of injury ala Willis McGahee in the 2003 draft and we nab him. And then I woke up.

8. blackistan

blackistan Member

We have to try to lose games if were going to have a chance at adrian p. because the Raiders will most probably have the worst record at the end of the season

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Still, the raiders need a QB more than a rb, i dont see them drafting Adrian Peterson

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

What happened to the work horse back? This guy has missed a LOT of games.

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

This guy has some durability issues...I'd like to keep my distance from him, specially with the contract that he will be getting. No thanks. Lets just get the best CB in the draft with our first pick.

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Why not Marshawn Lynch? He's another top 10 rated runningback and he seems to have the type of abilities the Texans are looking for a RB.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm for picking someone to help the worst defense i've ever seen, at this point.

14. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I agree. Our OLB's are not very good. Ryans would shine even more, if he had some help. OLB would do wonders for protecting the outside run. Perhaps, we might draft a DB.

If Peterson is available by the time our pick comes up, it would be hard to pass on him. I don't think we are going to have a top 5 pick and I don't think Peterson will be available, beyond 3.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I flipped on the game with 10 min. to go figuring the Sooners woould be running AP quite a bit while being up.The run was a thing of beauty,While he had a giant hole,Adrian showed the moves and breakaway speed that should lead him tobe a top 3 pick.If he slips and we get him great,but i think we're finishing 7-9 - 8-8,so I'm skeptical of our chances of nabbing this guy....GREAT PLAYER.He'll come back strong.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Draft him and get lineman in free agency.

DD

17. Major

Major Member

This is his one big knock. In all other ways, if there was ever a back to draft high in the draft, Peterson is it. He's everything you want in an NFL running back. But he just simply cannot stay healthy. This one was more of a fluke thing, but last year he had non-stop injuries as well.

The good thing for him is that this is not a leg/ankle/knee/etc type injury. The bad thing is that it reinforces his durability issues problem. He may very well drop in the draft as a result - but someone might get a steal depending on where he drops to.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Major,

Can you recall any other college RB that had the same types of health issues that did not have them at the pro level?

I am trying to recall another case of a RB that was injured a lot in college and then blossomed in the pros.....

DD

19. Major

Major Member

Offhand, I can't. It really sucks for him because he has so much potential. But I definitely think that the injury bug is going to follow him around.

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Curtis Martin