1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Office Spinoff] Details leaking about new series

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://www.variety.com/VR1117987409.html

Aziz Ansari hired for 'Office' spinoff

Details beginning to leak about new series

By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

Details are finally starting to emerge on NBC's highly anticipated "The Office" spinoff -- including the show's first cast hire, Aziz Ansari of MTV's sketch comedy "Human Giant."

Producers are mum on Ansari's role, but he'll be part of a larger ensemble that executive producers Greg Daniels and Michael Schur are putting together.

Ansari has sealed a one-year talent hold with Universal Media Studios as part of his deal to join the cast, the studio confirmed.

"We met him pretty early on and thought he was very funny," Daniels said. "We loved his work in 'Human Giant,' which I'm a huge fan of, as is Mike, and we have a good character for him."

Beyond that, the network, studio and producers continue to keep the new show under wraps and won't yet comment on show specifics. Still, it's looking more likely that the show may not be a spinoff in the traditional sense.

Despite early speculation that at least one "Office" character will segue to the new show, that's unlikely at this point.

Instead, the show could potentially be a "planted spinoff," in which characters are first introduced on "The Office" before moving on to the new series (think "Mork & Mindy," which morphed from one episode of "Happy Days"). It's just as possible that the show won't be a spinoff at all (which could impact who's involved with the show), but a wholly separate series in the same comedic vein as "The Office."

In recent weeks Daniels and Schur have been busy mapping out the show, which is set to bow this winter in the plum Thursday night 9:30 p.m. timeslot behind "The Office."

The two have narrowed the show's premise down to a handful of ideas but haven't yet zoomed in on a specific concept.

"We're focusing on making the best show we can make as a companion to 'The Office,'" Schur said. "We're trying to come up with the best concept and hire the funniest writers. In the next couple of weeks, we'll be making the final move to one specific idea."

The new show has already started putting together a writing team, including "Everybody Loves Raymond" alum Tucker Cawley, "Late Night With Conan O'Brien" vet Dan Goor and "South Park" scribe Alan Yang.

The producers said they're excited about the message they hope Ansari's casting -- the first bit of news to trickle out about the new series -- sends to the comedy community and "Office" fans.

"We're meeting with a lot of cool people," Daniels said. "We're trying to see how the pieces all fit together."

A rising star on the standup circuit, Ansari has earned raves, including best standup at the U.S. Comedy Arts Festival, for his irony-laced takes on life. Ansari's targets include everything from the singing ice cream scoopers at Coldstone Creamery to racism and homophobia.

In addition to serving as a writer, exec producer and performer on "Human Giant," Ansari also guested as a racist fruit vendor on HBO's "Flight of the Conchords" -- and recently opened for the Conchords on a series of concert dates.

Comedian, who's repped by 3 Arts and UTA, is currently in Albuquerque filming scenes for the upcoming Seth Rogen feature "Observe and Report." He'll also be seen alongside Paul Rudd and Jason Segel in "I Love You, Man."

Separately, Universal Media Studios has sealed a talent deal with thesp Rashida Jones, who appeared as John Krasinski's love interest on "The Office" before moving on to star in Fox's short-lived "Unhitched." Insiders said it's unclear yet what Jones may do at the studio, although a return to "The Office" is not out of the question.

In other "Office" news, the critically acclaimed laffer has just added three new names to its scribe staff: "Freaks and Geeks" creator Paul Feig, "Everybody Loves Raymond" and "New Adventures of Old Christine" vet Aaron Shure and "Saturday Night Live" writer Charlie Grandy. In addition, Paul Lieberstein, who doubles as Toby on the show, has been elevated to executive producer.

2. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

the guys from Human Giant are hilarious, I'd watch anything they come out with

3. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

there were no details in there

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Human Giant is great stuff, and Aziz is the star of that show. I've seen him to stand up at Uptown Citizens Brigade here in NYC and also saw him at SXSW this past March. I think the spin off will be great, if he is involved with it.

5. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Come on man. At least get their name right. They are incredible.

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

oops, my bad..I was thinking Uptown for some reason, when it is actually Upright.

7. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

damn new zealanders

8. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Agreed. The fact that Aziz is on board makes it look like this thing is going in the right direction. But what's going to happen w/ Human Giant?

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Sweet.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    :D - Michael G. Scott

11. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

First this:

Source: 'Office' spin-off 'not alive'

LOS ANGELES, July 17 (UPI) -- The creation of a spinoff of the U.S. television comedy "The Office" is on the back burner and may be scrapped altogether, a source says.

An insider told EW.com that plans for an "Office" spinoff are "definitely not alive at this point."

"No one could come up with a strong enough concept," another source told EW.com.

Sources confirmed that the original show's executive producer, Greg Daniels, is working on a different series that is to star Amy Poehler, a "Saturday Night Live" player seen recently in the movies "Blades of Glory" and "Baby Mama."

NBC isn't commenting on the alleged change of plans, EW.com said.

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_Ne...Office_spin-off_not_alive/UPI-69931216299739/

Now this:

Amy Poehler says she's bound for 'Office' spinoff

By JAKE COYLE – 18 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Amy Poehler confirmed to The Associated Press that she'll be joining the planned "Office" spinoff, paving the way for her eventual exit from "Saturday Night Live" and promoting the comedian to primetime.

Speaking by phone Thursday shortly after her Emmy nomination for outstanding actress in a comedy series on "SNL," Poehler said she will join NBC's spinoff of "The Office." She's expected to star.

"I can kind of confirm that I will be working in some capacity on that show," said Poehler. "I don't really have any other details yet."

The 36-year-old Poehler has been a cast member on "Saturday Night Live" since 2001 and in recent seasons has served as a co-anchor on "Weekend Update."

Poehler, whose husband Will Arnett also received an Emmy nomination Thursday (for his guest performance on "30 Rock"), is pregnant and due this October. She plans to be part of the expanded fall schedule for "Saturday Night Live" during the election, but that what happens in the spring isn't clear.

"It's been quite a week," said Poehler of the negotiations. "I'm very excited about all the good stuff that's coming down the pike."

A spokesman for NBC said the network had no comment.

NBC is owned by General Electric Co.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hIMVbDvJai0eaNECS32nbDNWVNJgD91VPJM01

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Amy Poehler is involved, that is a good thing. I was never all that impressed with her on SNL, but that's because she had crap to work with, usually. Her efforts on Upright Citizens Brigade, however, demonstrated a comedic genius that I'm sure Office writers could better tap into than SNL writers. I hope this project doesn't get killed.

13. hjg877

hjg877 Member

Yeah I saw her at the UCB Theater a couple of years ago and she was much better than anticipated; this type of show would be good for her.

14. lpbman

lpbman Member

I'm hopeful, but would have preferred Will Arnett to get lead.

15. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I guess I'm going to have to change the title of the thread. It appears the spinoff is no longer a spinoff.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117996112.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

Rashida Jones joins Poehler comedy
    'Office' actress to play nurse in NBC series

By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

"The Office" alum Rashida Jones has joined the cast of NBC's "don't-call-it-an-'Office'-spinoff" comedy starring Amy Poehler.

NBC and producers continue to keep a tight lid on the Poehler sitcom, but some details are starting to emerge. Jones is set to play Ann Logan, a nurse whose boyfriend has a strange injury. It's that injury that leads Jones' character into the world populated by Poehler and Aziz Ansari (who was the first thesp attached to the project, back when it was still, indeed, an "Office" spinoff).

Although rumors that Jones would be a part of the show had been flying for months, the net hadn't confirmed her casting until now.

For Jones, it's a reunion with "Office" exec producers Greg Daniels and Mike Schur, who are also creating the new Poehler skein. Thesp played Karen Filippelli, the love interest of Jim (John Krasinski), on season three of "The Office."

"For my money, there's no more emotionally intelligent, cerebral comedy writers in TV than Mike and Greg," Jones said. "There's something about the way they capture the complexity and awkwardness of human dynamics that's so relatable yet so unique."

Jones said she's been told not to reveal too much about the show -- and that Daniels and Schur have even been tight-lipped in giving her information.

"What I don't know, I still trust in these guys so much," she said.

Schur called Jones "funny, talented and beautiful."

"She is perfect for this new show, which -- just to remind everyone -- is not a spinoff of 'The Office,' " he said. "It is a spinoff of 'MASH' called 'Seinfeld II.' "

Producers haven't yet set a shoot date for the first episode, but Jones said she expected to report to work sometime in early 2009. NBC has said the Poehler skein will be ready by spring, but there's no definite date lined up yet -- and the skein could be pushed to fall.

In the meantime, Jones is expected to appear on at least one episode of "The Office" this season.

The actress will next be seen in the feature "I Love You, Man," alongside Paul Rudd and Jason Segel. She's also in the upcoming indies "Life in Flight" and "Brief Interviews With Hideous Men."

Daniels, Schur and Howard Klein are set to exec produce the Poehler project, which comes from Universal Media Studios.

16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Weird. This whole thing has been kind of strange. Maybe it will still be funny.

I can't wait to see this skein with all the thesps that will be in it.

17. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Damn, Karen is hot. Looking forward to seeing her on the office.