1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Office [Season 8]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dandorotik, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I've been re-watching the series from the beginning and am up to season 5. One of my biggest gripes with the show is how much Andy has changed since his introduction at Stamford. He was a selfish, manipulative jackass early on, and has gradually morphed 180 degrees into a nice guy pushover people pleaser. I guess anger management must have really worked!

2. Yao11

Yao11 Member

Did anyone catch last night's episode? It made me feel really bad for Andy (job wise). Wouldn't you be angry also if someone just strut into your office and took away your job while you were gone?

Even though it'll never happen, I'd love to see Michael come back and take the job away from Nelly.

I also loved when Andy punched the wall again, great reference to the earlier season when he first came to the branch.

3. Hammer755

I've been a loyal fan of this series from day one. Though I'm sure few would agree, I think the first 2 seasons were better even than the British original. But it is getting so farcical that it's tough to bear. Companies don't just change management repeatedly on a whim or because of squatters rights.

Of course this is a fictional comedy series with dramatic license, and I understand that. But a huge reason it was so good in the first place was that it played on the anxiety and awkwardness of a workplace or colleagues that you could envision yourself being involved in. I could see a lot of my company in Dunder Mifflin. But that is all gone now.

There have been some funny episodes this season, but the show (IMO) has gone from one of the unique wave of series (in the vein of Arrested Development) to just another comedy. They might as well lose the mockumentary perspective and go to a 3-camera sitcom, because that's really what it feels like now.

4. spydermex

spydermex Member

i never thot this would happen, but i hate pam.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I hate Nelly. Super annoying. Does she have a long-term contract or something? Cant take much more.

6. Yao11

Yao11 Member

I agree. She was really annoying this past episode. I liked her in the first three seasons when she was a lot quieter.

7. Yao11

Yao11 Member

The first three seasons are my personal favorites, mainly because of the Jim-Pam story line. Now that that's settled, I feel like the Andy-Erin story can't even compare to it.

I would like to see more Jim-Dwight pranks though. Jim's hotel closet prank a few weeks ago was golden.

8. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I know, fat pam is annoying as hell. Can't believe she went against Ryan.

10. Ashcoza

Ashcoza Member

what episode is this from?!

11. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

So is Andy gone from the show?

12. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I NEED to have this answered! I hope he isn't gone, he has slowly became one of my favorite characters. He's done a great job throughout the show's growth. I'd be sick if he's gone and that British lady Nellie is there...

13. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

From the pool party episode, this season.

14. aghast

aghast Member

Deadline Hollywood: ‘The Office’ Update: Series Reboot Eyed As Talks With Cast Still In Holding Pattern
    [rquoter]Word is that The Office executive producer Greg Daniels...is mulling a reboot of the series[...]

As for The Office key original cast members John Krasinski, Jenna Fischer and B.J. Novak, whose contracts are up at the end of this season, as well as that of Ed Helms, there hasn’t been a lot of movement in the negotiations over the past few weeks, following an early overture by the network around the time The Office spinoff starring Rainn Wilson came together.[...]

I hear the main cast may want next season to be last while NBC is leaning towards not closing the door to one additional season.[...][/rquoter]
    Anyone else notice that Thursday's show intro no longer had title cards for the main stars, but just skipped right to the statue tipping over on the desk? Not a good sign for the main characters' continuation, one would think.

Or, it's a negotiating tactic, and the series will continue its decline for many more seasons to come.

15. Ashcoza

Ashcoza Member

There is a big problem with Andy, watch some of the older episodes, outside of today they dind't retrace his really "poser" type personality in terms of how he dresses and everything and him being super ambitious, etc...He was one of my favorites and I don't get why they let go his most funny qualities

16. Hammer755

They've used the abbreviated opening a number of times over the past several seasons. I wouldn't read anything into it.

17. jdh008

jdh008 Member

If they can't get all of the main remaining characters on board unless they make next season the last, I hope they go that route. I would hate to see a "re-boot" with just a few of the characters. I would be afraid they would constantly be trying to recreate those first few seasons of The Office, which really can't be recreated. It's also just kind of depressing when a show slowly dies off until it is little more than a shell of its former self. Take Scrubs, for example.

18. moose

moose Member

I restarted from season 1. I'm on season 3 now, where Pam used to be pretty hott. Man, The Office just isn't the same anymore. The demise of one of the greats.

19. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Description of season finale from wiki:

I wonder who it is. Will Ferrell?

20. aghast

aghast Member

Adding, Mindy Kaling already has her own sitcom deal on Fox, and Rainn Wilson is already gone for his own spin-off.

What was great about the early years is that Novak & Kaling were also lead writers. Novak wrote "Diversity Day," I think the best of any of the episodes.

They're not going to be able to plug those holes.