1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Office [Season 8]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dandorotik, Sep 17, 2011.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/office-season-8-sneak-peek-229483

It turns out The Office drones are a little nervous about their new boss.

James Spader joins the half-hour comedy as CEO Robert California of Sabre, the parent company of the Dunder Mifflin Paper Co., in its upcoming eighth season. The Emmy winner replaces Kathy Bates, who stars in another NBC series, Harry's Law.

STORY: It's Official: James Spader Joins 'The Office' as New CEO

But in a new sneak peek at the upcoming season released by NBC, the show's stars say they are actually nervous about their new castmate.

"I feel intimidated because it's easy to play Gabe, who I think is intimidated by Robert California," says Zach Woods. "But I'm intimidated by [Spader] because he's just a terrific actor -- he's so specific, engaged and mysterious."

Phyllis Smith, who plays Phyllis, put it more bluntly.

"He scares the s--- out of me," she says.

STORY: James Spader: 5 Things to Know About New 'Office' CEO

Meanwhile, Angela Kinsey, who plays Angela, praised Spader as an actor.

"He brings this great intensity, this energy," she says. "It's completely opposite of what Michael Scott (played by Steve Carell, who exited the show last season) was. He wanted everyone to like him, but we don't know what Rob's about."

For his part, Spader says there's one aspect of his character he's especially enthused about. The name: Robert California.

"That's a good name, isn't it?" he says. "I've never heard of anyone named that, have you?"

Q&A: Why 'The Office' Showrunner Is Prepared for More Cast Members to Exit Show

Meanwhile, Spader added the upcoming season will give the cast chances to shine as his character looks to hire a new office manager to replace Michael.

The cast also teases the announcement about which character lands the job.

"I think people are going to gasp and in some cases go into cardiac arrest," Woods says.

The new season of The Office premieres at 9 p.m. Sept. 22.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If this misdirection is any indication, Spader, Fischer and Kraczinsky will have a Friday night spinoff and Carrell will be back by spring. I really can't help but interpret this as them failing to cast a central character. Are Kaling and Novak doing this to give themselves more screen time?

4. Yao11

Yao11 Member

To me, it would be pretty funny if either Kevin or Stanley became the office manager.

5. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

My guess is Kelly. She is the closest one to Michael's personality, and she is the only one on that show who is funny unscripted. Dwight, Creed, and Kevin are only funny scripted.

I noticed the Office has gotten worse with each season, so I don't expect much.

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

If Kelly gets it, this show would become very annoying with her voice. Still hoping it is a new guy.

7. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

We wouldn't be shocked with a new guy.

Kelly, Pam, Andy, and Oscar would be shocking I guess. From that bunch Andy makes the most sense.

Dwight won't get it, because half of his screen time is about moving up in the company.

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

I agree. Maybe Andy. It has to rival Steve's star power. Steve's screen prescence on the show was otherworldly. I think it is shocking if the new guy who comes in was a popular actor like Jim Carrey. If you check Carrey's imdb he has nothing listed for starring in new movies.

9. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Nobody I mean nobody can replace Michael... So why try? Just beg Steve Carell to come back... :(

10. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w9ixmYigHco" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

volume is low on the video

11. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

The last thing I expected to see in this thread...I just started watching Breaking Bad this weekend, and I'm watching the first episode of season 2 as I type this.

12. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Office skit from tonight's Emmys.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QipD5CpsPxQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Good find on Carrey, but I just don't see why such an established actor would want to try to follow in the footsteps of a character like Michael Scott. It is interesting how they hyped Jim Carrey coming in as a guest star to the show last year, but he got very little airtime.

My guess is Andy or Darrell. Darrell was my original guess a long time ago so I think I'll stick with that.

14. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

The opening scene for "The Search Committee" where it showed Creed as the temporary boss was hilarious. The part where he gets out of the car and throws the keys to nobody and says "keep it running" when he's about to go in for a full days work, hahah. I didn't think Creed being the boss, even temporarily, would be funny at all but it was so I think whoever they put back there can make it work. They will never be Michael Scott but if the cast can collectively keep the show funny I will be satisfied

15. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

the Michael Scott from seasons 1-3 will return

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm confused, I thought Spader was replacing Michael.

:confused:

17. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I don't see it working out.

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

He does but then is instantly promoted to head boss of the company as a whole, taking over for Kathy Bates in essense.

19. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

He's the CEO so I guess he's replacing Jo or whatever her name is

20. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Is this an hour long episode? I miss the hour long premieres they used to do.