1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Occupation Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Butterfingers, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

You are correct. The operational "technical" folks, except for a very few, are almost all off shored. The big exception is for projects, where there can be big money, but most of those folks are contractors or consultants. As far as foreign v.s. American, I'd say its 60/40 American for those types of jobs. Quite a few H1B visas for those.

My biggest problem is finding functional users that can help with the business requirements, run projects, and help write technical specs. The "tweeners" that have a good understanding of the architecture of SAP and how the data interacts, but also know the difference between an income statement and a balance sheet...know how to post an order, shipment, and invoice...and know WHY it works the way it does. F&A with a mix of IT, and a good understanding of data architecture...those folks are HARD to find and when I do, I pay them a lot.

Also, someone mentioned reporting and BW. That's huge right now. Working an integrated BW project and one of the contractors is bringing in $3,500 a day and we couldn't do it without him.

Anybody that knows master data also is doing well right now. Its kind of niche that a lot of people don't get into, but all the big companies need. An understanding of data governance programs, workflow, and how to tie it together with technical solutions.

1 person likes this.
  2. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

I've been meeting a lot with an Energy Trader at one of the O&G super majors and he is organizing a lunch for me with the head recruiter for his company along with another recruiter. I have the deductive reasoning through my Finance/Accounting classes at UT but I have noticed how paramount it is to have the technical skills as well. I picked up on this when at my old internship my boss hired some Computer Science student to build him a single spreadsheet and then just cut him a check for 300 bucks and sent him on his way.

I am trying to become the tweener type that you talked about by having my dad teach me C++ and VBA programming, and having my current employer train me in Oracle. The Energy Trader I have been meeting with said it is also very beneficial for me to learn Six Sigma and Lean. I plan on picking those up too before October so I will be way ahead of the competition for senior year recruiting with the O&G super majors in the fall.

Could you explain all the acronyms in this post so I can further research them because I have no experience at all with SAP. Also, do you have any tips for recruiting in the fall? My plan is to somehow get in as an energy trader, landman, or financial analyst with one of the 5 super-majors.

3. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

FI = SAP Finance Module
    CO = SAP Controlling Module
    SD = SAP Sales & Distribution Module
    MM = Materials Management Module
    BI = The industry/specialty of Business Intelligence. Usually refers to Management Information and reporting.
    BW = SAP Business Warehouse, SAP's branded data warehouse module/software
    O&G = Oil and Gas

SAP FI & CO are tightly integrated and experts in one tend to be experts in both.

4. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

Architectural Acoustics/Technical AudioVisual System Design Consultant

Mostly large projects - sports facilities/performing arts/recording studios/theaters

5. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

Going to be working on my 2th tomorrow.

Health Safety Environmental at and an extremely large Oil and Gas company. Specialize in Emergency Services.. Fire/Rescue/EMS/Oil Spills/Environmental Monitoring. Best job in the world..

6. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Job Search Tip of the Day August 1, 2012

Keep a log of all employers you interview with, including the dates of the interviews, names of interviewers and contact data, and a brief summary of how they went.

www.100percentresumes.com / contact@100percentresumes.com / 806-783-9900

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Might as well mention HR,Basis ans Security!

8. Butterfingers

What's the reasoning behind this?

9. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

If you've ever been in a 6 month job search you'll know. You get calls from all sorts of recruiters and a lot of times they call you about the same job. A quick way to get your resume thrown in the trash is to get it sent to the hiring manager from two different companies.

After a while all the companies start looking the same. Did I interview with this company already? Maybe it was the same company but a different position and different hiring manager? Who should I follow up with? Who did I sent out thank you letters to already?

There are a bunch of reasons to keep track.

10. Butterfingers

Yeah I guess full-time recruiting is a little different than college recruiting.

11. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of companies also ask you if you've ever interviewed there for another position before on their applications. If so, with whom and when did the interview take place?

And to add to the OT, software sales.

12. ths balla

ths balla Member

Marketing Associate for your Houston Rockets... Graduated with a Marketing Degree in May 2011 from Texas A&M University, Mays Business School... Currently seeking full time employment either in a creative structure or corporate atmosphere... so if anyone is hiring please take a look at my profile: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/edit?trk=hb_tab_pro_top

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Sales Operations Manager for a synthetic turf manufacturer in Austin.

14. dandorotik

Oh, I would say several:

1. You want to make sure that you're sending thank you letters to everyone, you may want to call them as a follow-up, and if you embark on a job search several years down the road, if let's say a current interview went well but you didn't get the job, you may want to revisit them- in some cases, they'll remember you, and in others, they can be reminded that you already interviewed with them.

2. If you have a problem with your job search, sometimes it could be in who you're applying to. Let's say, for example, you examine your log and you notice that most of the employers are big-name, Fortune 500 companies. You may then decide that you're missing out on some of the mid-size or smaller companies.

3. In general, it is good practice to keep logs/journals, etc. for important endeavors, projects, and initiatives. It helps to keep you focused and it is a visual reminder that (a) you're doing a great job applying for many companies or (b) you really haven't applied to as many as you thought.

I would extend this tip to your jobs, as well. Keep a list of key projects and achievements- sometimes, some are these are forgotten- so that by the time you go on a job search, you'll have a list of things you can include when you update your resume.

15. dandorotik

Oh, and those 2 other posters who commented are absolutely right. Just as good, if not better, advice than mine.

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I work in HR at an O&G Refining Service company in the Houston Area.

I mostly recruit and interview along with a few other HR related tasks.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Ehh, I posted this in Xerobull's job thread, but I should probably post it here too; it's relevant.

I dropped off my resume to a doctor's office last Wednesday (7/25), due to a forwarded email from my advisor saying that this clinic was hiring a medical aide.

Now, I didn't hear anything for a while, so I called yesterday (7/31), acting as someone who hadn't applied yet, asking them if the position was still available. The receptionist said she didn't have omnipotent knowledge of all the hirings, but to the best of her knowledge, resumes / applications were still being accepted.

I then asked her where the doctors might be in the entire process, and the receptionist said that some people have come in for interviews.

So my question is, would it be appropriate to contact either the receptionist through phone again, on Friday or next Monday? Would it be appropriate to contact the doctor via email? If so, when would be a good time?

I don't want to seem like I'm pushy or trying to jump the gun, or anything like that, by contacting them.

18. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

p*rn star by day, blues guitar God at night.......

19. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Nu uh!

20. Nook

Nook Member

Lawyer by 23 years old.

Worked as a prosecutor for 5 years and worked my way up to #2 by 28.

I became bored and opened a private practice out of my parents home. After 6 months procured 2 clients involved in a horrible accident, with a very wealthy and very negligent corporation. I settle both and was fortunate enough to have enough to retire on.

I was retired two years when I was became bored and blew it all on family, friends, charities and trips.

Now married with a baby coming, working as a lawyer in a very unusual situation. Only problem is that I have to travel to Europe too often and around the USA. I just want to work on my Farm at this time... but have to pay the bills.