1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Occupation Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Butterfingers, Jul 27, 2012.

1. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Maybe ask a company if you can hang around in your free time and learn/ help out for free. They get free labor and you get to learn....I just realized I'm describing an internship...go intern.

2. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

When I started contracting through my own company I was lucky that my first contract was at a large O&G. And I've been able to stay with energy companies for the 7 years since. Work is absolutely no different than anywhere else. Big company politics. Understanding of the different sub-groups does come into play a bit (upstream, downstream, subsea, surface, fluids, etc) but really not that much. But unfortunately hiring managers do look for previous O&G xp.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm in Austin and currently employed. Not much in the way of O&G here. If I could afford no paycheck, I'd do something like that...but I can't.

4. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

I got an offer today! And I accepted it of course. Now I just need to resign my current position... yikes.

5. Yonkers

Congrats. Why the yikes? Should be exciting to resign :)

6. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

yea... a little excitement but more nervousness. They treated me good here and I will miss them.. :(

7. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

And thank you!

8. ths balla

ths balla Member

I have had numerous interviews in which I get to the final round but they end up going with the person with more experience. It really has become very disheartening. I am over a year removed from college and still can't seem to secure a full-time job in the marketing field. I have an interview with Nielsen on Monday so hopefully my luck will change. Any suggestions would be helpful.

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

That's awesome. Congratulations!

10. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Williston is hiring. You just have to get there.

11. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

Yes, it is :) thank u!!

12. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Question:

The HR person of a company I had a second interview with called me this morning and asked what my salary expectations are. What should I really say without scaring her off?

Is it okay to say I am open/flexible?

13. Yonkers

How do you feel about the interview? If you really think you will get hired then put out a number on your high end so you can pull up the negotiations. If it's still too soon to tell then you say something non-committal like you're looking for something that is market value for your skill set.

14. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

just tell her whatever the salary range this position you're applying for is in....

or you can just add 10 to 20% of what you're making now and give her that figure, but in a ballpark so she can work around.

15. Yonkers

What he's making now could have little consideration over what he's looking for. If you're trying to jump from IT Help Desk to IT Server Administration you're not going to care that you got paid $15/hr before and $18/hr is a 20% bump if that's not the market rate for a server guy.

16. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

If it is a position you do not currently have, say something like 'It is my understanding that the compensation for this position is between_____ and _____ ' I expect my salary to be within that range.

17. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

If you are male, you probably cant go wrong with stating what I posted above.