1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Obama Gaffe Machine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ROCKET RICH NYC, May 30, 2008.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

the context was that he was saying he had visited 47 states and accidentally said 57 - really not a big deal.

2. oomp

oomp Member

[​IMG]

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

Finally, someone from a credible news source can detail what a goof Obama is...To many people are drinking the koolaid...

4. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

No big deal to you. Huge deal to me.

And I'll tell you why. I got here (US) in my senior year in HS. I was dumb-strucked at how ignorant my fellow classmates were of America, and to a larger extent, the world. They had NO idea how good they had it nor did they show ANY appreciation for being an American. (sad thing, it has only gotten worse)

From that moment on I swore to America I will never forget her, that I will do whatever I can to protect her, and finally, show people what it's like to actually love your country.

So when Obama "misremembered" how many states there are, especially when it's drilled in us all of our lives, when 50 is a number SO well known in relationship to America, well, that really doesn't say much about him.

Yes, to me, its a big deal.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Did you even read my post? Or are you just being deliberately disingenous on purpose? Because the answer to the question that was posed is not 50, it's 47.

Again, I will repeat that you are portraying it entirely out of context - you're acting as if somebody said "Barack, how many states are there?"and he said "57, not 50, there are FIFTY SEVEN STATES In the US OF A".

That's not what happened. He was speaking about all the states he traveled to in the last three months (47) - He mistakenly said 57 instead. If he had said 50, like you insisted he should - he would have been wrong. All in all, a rather unremarkable slip of the tongue.

Today I noticed that a colleague had mistitled a document due to be published on Monday with Tuesday's date. Did I throw a sh-t fit at this person because she added 8 days to the previous monday instead of 7 as usual, making an incredibly basic math mistake? No, of course not, this individual is incredibly gifted and talented with a distinguished resume. I chalked it up to a simple typo, which everybody makes, rather than a lack of basic knowledge

HOnestly, I feel stupid explaining this to you.

If you are chalking that up to actual lack of knowledge and are questioning Obama's knowlege of basic facts such as the number of states - I think this conversation is too dumb to continue.

Suffice it to say, someobody who as a adult truly believes there are 57 states would likely not be admitted to a college or university, much less eventually become the editor of the Harvard Law Review or be appointed to a position on the faculty of the University of Chicago law school.

6. mc mark

mc mark Member

Speaking of gaffes

The Obama campaign is in good spirits as Friday's happy hour rolls around, chiefly because they clearly won today's political skirmishes with John McCain. They got McCain to admit he was wrong to use General Petraeus' photo in a political attack. And they put him on the defensive over his flubbing of a fact about troop levels in Iraq.

And Obama will continue to squeeze the troop-levels gaffe -- in which McCain wrongly said that we'd drawn down troops to pre-surge levels -- in a Montana speech tonight. Prepared excerpts from the campaign:

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

gaffes about issues don't seem to be important. If the gaffe has anything to do with the actual job of the president it isn't important. It's only important if instead of saying 47 states, somebody misspeaks and says 57.

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yep, anyone who likes him is only drinking cool-aid. It couldn't be that they like his policies, accomplishments, message, and believe he just might have the leadership qualities to best lead our nation right now. It's only because they've been drinking the cool-aid. That's all it is.

9. RocketRaccoon

Please, don't feel stupid on my account. And Sam, I really get what you're saying. Honestly, and I don't feel stupid.

This was personal with me from the start and it will stay personal with me. And that was all I was trying to explain. This is a board of personal opinions where we share our different threshholds to what we accept. For some reason I have a very low threshhold for this gaffe. I would hold anybody to account for it.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

I noticed a number of grammatical mistakes in your post.

Why don't you answer my question though - is it your contention that Obama lacks the basic knowledge that there are 50 states in the US? Yes or no?

11. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Everyone I talk to in real life who hates Obama cites reasons like this garbage, saying 57 states...Jeremiah Wright...that he doesn't wear a lapel pin or put his hand over his heart during America the Beautiful. :rolleyes:

I've heard at least 4 people openly express a concern that Obama is secretly Muslim and possibly a terrorist. One of these people is my sister, a freaking school teacher.

It just seems ridiculous. I understand why people wouldn't vote for him, especially if you're a conservative, given his stance on issues. It's stupid nitpicking like this that gives the average uninformed American "reasons" to not vote for Obama. They give people who were never going to vote for Obama anyway excuses to not vote for him without coming off as racist.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

You act as you've traveled to all of states on the Continental US, talked to its people, eaten their food.

Have you?

13. RocketRaccoon

Oh thanks for that O'english major. I guess I should have traveled life through your shoes so we can speak on equal terms because in that comment all your attempting to do is put me in place. Fine. I'm stupid, you're not. You're a wordsmith and I'm not. Feel better?

And to directly answer your question, NO! I was never questioning is intelligence. Christ, he's a fricken senator. He didn't get there for being dumb.

(crap...gotta go)