1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The now-polarizing James Harden?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, Dec 6, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wrong

for non-contributing members, aka free loaders, Harden makes 1000000000000000000000000X times more

fchowd0311 likes this.
  2. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

I don't treat people by their dollar value. he owes us nothing, he owes the fans nothing and we owe him nothing. Now in this crazy covid year, i think some people have gone a bit crazy. I'm fully aware that he wants a trade, the rockets want to keep him but will still look for the best offer out there. Everyone just needs to calm down a little bit and let the next few days play out and see what happens. heck teams can not fully practice as a team yet

crenshaw likes this.
  3. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

So you think you're better than everyone else

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

non-contributing members don't deserve any response from contributing members

cheapskate LOFs

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This is way long but adds to your points...

The issue I have with all this extra tabloid drama reporting from social media - is everyone seems to eat it up... And automatically have confirmation bias - that this person is a bad guy - blah blah. I am not even talking about harden situation, but any star.

I mean up until maybe late 90s/early 00s there were all kinds of stuff going on that never got reported or at least people weren't shocked by it because the rumors died out, now with instant access to unlimited amounts of info - things don't rest.

Also, I never understood the married aspect POV either - that it's a cure all problems thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm married and committed - but it doesn't guarantee that it'll change someone else that you don't personally know - ie if someone wants to do something and they have the personality and means to do so - they'll do it, because last time I checked a person still makes their own individual choices (married or not). Can a person change? of course, but some snippet of a person doing whatever the hell they want with their money is on them. I'm not their accountant/parent/agent etc and I'm honestly not sure it's my business - especially when people follow the stars around and post this stuff (it's not even the damn star posting it in most cases).

And the GD - "having a family fixes it" - nope!! ... I mean Jordan cheated / Magic Johnson etc etc etc - the list goes on and these people have/had families.

Anyway, our sports heroes - no matter how much everyone thinks someone is a good person because they're good at a sport or a popular figure, doesn't automatically abstain them from making the same bad decisions that anyone can make.

Like let's think about this... Jordan was amazing on the bball court, would I want my kid to have that competitive edge/work hard, sure - that aspect is fine.. But do I want my kid then doing the stuff Jordan personally did off the court? No, and I'm not even talking about gambling/partying - but the actual bad stuff - ie cheating/having a mistress and child that you won't even talk to (I think they finally spoke?). That's where I have a problem with role model garbage talk.. Like you're going to judge someone going to a club but then sit there and act like having a kid outside of your marriage that you ignore is suddenly fine? Sure, that sounds logical!

I mean we're watching grown men play sports, last time I checked we were wanting wins/stats/championships- not so much the - raise my kid aspect.

With that said though - should someone act better? I suppose?? They have a platform, but is that a requirement to winning, no. And sports history will clear that up fast.

I will say the one thing that bugs me more than anything though - are these powerful actors/sports figures buying into conspiracy theories - kyrie/curry - that honestly bugs me more because now you're going against things outside of your field. I mean these guys have seen more of the world than I'll ever personally see - and they're going to use their platform that will influence people. And trolling or not - it gets picked up and run with. Like the flat earth trash/moon landing conspiracy - come on.... Seriously - you guys fly all over the God Damn Earth and can ****ing see the curve - and hell even charter a jet around the globe, and then state stupid ****? That ****ing bothers me. I mean think about that... You have people that might not ever be able to fly/get more education and their favorite star just rattles off some BS.

No actually, what bothers me even more is the bullshit that lebron said - he's a role model, right? No...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...was-misinformed-sending-tweet-china-hong-kong

*Edited for politics.. Due to D&D topic* but man, that **** pissed me off.

Tl;Dr - I think Charles Barkley summed it up best, "I'm not a role model" and yeah it was an ad but in reality... He did some wild ****, but guess what? not everyone was self reporting paparazzi/social media - and last time I checked, some of the best players in sports have all done something that at some point will upset someone. If you think the person is not a good figure, then be a role model to your own kids and teach them.

#65 CCity Zero, Dec 7, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    clutchdabear and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Dollar value? Those dollars let's Harden live the most lavish comfortable lifestyle on this planet. People are working 50 hour weeks and still can't afford healthcare. Put some God damn perspective on life here.

Harden owes his fortune to the fans who buy the tickets, watch the games on tv and buy NBA gear. Without us, he would be a broke boy still living with his mom.

7. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

Does this include every single one of us? I'm just asking before I react.

8. fchowd0311

You don't get it honestly.

If Jordan never won his rings, the most famous thing he would be known for would be how his gambling addiction ruined his potential. Jordan did win rings and therefore there doesn't have to be a scapegoat because well... he won rings.

It doesn't help that Harden is notorious for being a lazy slow defender. It doesn't help that when people make jokes about Chris Paul laughing at Harden's moobs, people believe it's credible because he has some extra fat on him. You ain't going to believe that joke regarding someone laughing at Kobe's moobs because he was always lean and always cared about his nutrition and bf% and no one would think he has moobs.

So when people see Harden being the patron saint of strippers and partying more than the typical NBA player, they are going to point to that when they see a slightly chubby Harden getting blown by a guard at the perimeter because he's slow footed.

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Oh man, so my whole point has nothing to do with this Harden garbage, I'm meaning social media in general. Jordan had a kid with a mistress that he didn't even acknowledge. Chips or not, that's not a role model (on that aspect) . James Harden - the community stuff he does is great - the club aspect, he lives his own life. I am talking about the role model aspect that people pick and choose to run with and that marriage fixes the problem if someone likes to party.

clutchdabear and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  10. fchowd0311

I don't care about Harden beings role model. No one here does. The complaint is that he values t*tties over titles.

11. TimDuncanDonaut

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

No, I'm not replying to the original post but the idea that getting married fixes everything. And yes, the media/public in general will look to sports figures to be role models.

And I also understand that you don't care about the role model aspect. I know your stance, I don't think any rocket fan is happy with Harden's situation atm.

13. fchowd0311

And that's a issue you brought up no one else did.

People are saying Harden's party lifestyle interferes with his work ethic. I couldn't give two ****s if he's a role model or not.

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Dude, there's a post on the first page of the thread discussing social media influences... And marriage would somehow fix Harden's clubbing - its so popular an argument that I'm sure you can Google it. Ie marriage would fix his work ethic that he gets judged on because he'd have to stay home with the family.

I'm adding to the follow up post by op... I'm also not here defending harden either.

#74 CCity Zero, Dec 8, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

Yes but the reason people want to fix it with "marriage" or any other solution isn't because they want him to be a role model but rather they think it would settle him down and have him be more disciplined.

CCity Zero likes this.
  16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, this is absolutely correct. I got a little off topic but was adding to the other point about social media aspects.

My point was that, these other players who are/were married didn't really settle down in some cases, like the partying didn't stop. So James getting married doesn't automatically make his lifestyle different, it would be on him to do it. Like if a player wants to club, getting married doesn't change anything - unless they're committed.

I guess another way to look at it is the Rockets team is the spouse, and James agreed to show up and be there etc... And then James is like "you know what, I'm going clubbing and I'm not sure when I'm coming home"

You see where I'm going? Like if he's not committed to the Rockets under contract, why would he be guaranteed to be committed to a spouse and change his current routine? I'm just saying he'd have to want to change on his own, and a wife/spouse etc. never guarantees a person will change their ways and suddenly be a family man that's committed.

I'm definitely not comparing contract/marriage I mean maybe he would be committed, I just know of a lot of examples where a person didn't change just because they got married - I mean obviously there are plenty of examples where it does but it's never a guarantee and still falls on the individual.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

I mean I'm not going to really die on the hill of Harden needing to get married. It's a iffy point to begin with and most people are probably half joking.

Could it help? Maybe but it's something we shouldn't rely on.

I've calmed down a bit from my Harden anger the past 24 hrs. I'm hoping he returns to camp this week and we can just forget this **** show.

CCity Zero likes this.
  18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Absolutely agree with you on this. And I'm definitely frustrated too, I also would like to see it work with the trades/org changes just to at least see.... But at the same time if he bails/gets traded I hope we get back some great players. I basically am more committed to being a rockets fan than a fan of Harden

fchowd0311 likes this.
  19. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

No offense but what are you talking about.

Jordan doesn't have some kid he abandoned. The only thing that came up via Google was that in 2013, a lady falsely filed a paternity suit against him and lost
    She had to pay jordan damages. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...dan-fined-lying-NBA-star-fathering-child.html

And why are you so upset about stephen curry making a joke? Dude even visited the nasa space center afterwords. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.space.com/amp/42763-steph-curry-moon-landing-scott-kelly.html

Lastly people are ripping harden because his actions are the epitome of stupid and selfish. I'm not referring to asking to be traded or not showing up to work.

Indoors, crowds, maskless, alcohol, party and pandemic. With the week and frankly year the country haa endured, it's shocking so many people are ignorant of the problem.

20. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Can't afford healthcare........didn't know Harden was a politician, maybe take that problem up with who you elect as President