1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

The Next Time You Want to Chew Someone out on D&D...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, Mar 26, 2007.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

For those of us who can't seem to stay civil when we are discussing sensitive issues...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/...man+commits+suicide+on+live+webcam/article.do

2. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

That's terrible. The internet might magnify these type of behaviors but the problem is with really disturbed individuals like this.

Even under the most civil circumstances its still not always an easy thing to have your views challenged so it takes a certain amount of detachment. If someone is suffering from depression or other mental illness I can see how internet debate, or any debate, could push them over the edge.

At the same time though the internet can also provide a lot of support too and even here on CF.net we've seen how an online community can help someone who is going through rough times by giving advice and sympathy. Its too bad this guy didn't have that type of online community or that he chose to ignore those who were trying to help him.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree
    this seems more a Mental Health issue than anything
    but
    then again . . . all suicides are Mental Health issues to me

Rocket River

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I can certainly agree with this. I have been guilty of not being detached enough.

Sometimes it is best to just take a break as I did after aprox 5 years.

5. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Free exchanges of ideas, ideals, mores, etc. are always healthy. One can agree or disagree without compromising his or her honor. However, once a group begins to march lockstep without listening to all opposing views (and quite a few board members --left and right -- are dangerously close to that), a closed mindset inevitably follows -- and that is dangerous for the individual as well as for society.

#5 thumbs, Mar 26, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

If you will kill yourself because someone on the internet goads you, I don't think you were long for this world anyway.

7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I agree. What a dumbass.

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Spoken like a loyal follower of GOP/ conservative social Darwinism.

9. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

what's the over/under that this was macbeth?

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Do it glynch, do it. :rolleyes:

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

People with suicidal tendencies should be helped. It doesn't matter if the guy was cheerful or playful on the outside. Depressed people don't always act depressed. He probably would have done it without the net watching him.

12. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Possibly he would've have killed himself anyway but I wouldn't rule out the internet for putting him in touch with other dysfunctional people that reinforced his behavior and also for providing an exhibitionist forum for him to do so.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Very true. Ask the Germans of the late 1920's and early 1930's.

D&D. Far too much Evil.