1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The next step in Harden's evolution

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Loneyroy7, May 30, 2018.

1. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

And no, it's not "heart".

Right now, James is better than he's ever been at getting to the rim. He's also better than ever at shooting and hitting difficult 3 pointers.

Why weren't those improvements enough this year to push the team over the edge when they were so close? Because Harden's has taken the team's offensive scheme too much to heart, and has thus completely eliminated his in-between game.

The step-back mid-range jumpers James was once so adept at need to return. But he also needs to add a mid-post game. Look a LeBron, Kobe, Durant are all effective from that area being able to turn and shoot over the defender. Heck even Westbrook uses the post often to get off mid-range jumpers. That ability would prove CRUCIAL in big playoff game moments where the team just needs a bucket to quell the tide.

Harden with a mid-post game and his mid-range stepbacks + his current drive and 3-game? Unguardable.

James has gotten better every single off-season, both physically and skillfully over his career. And heading into his 29 year old season, fully in his prime, I would expect nothing less.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

More confidence in midrange would be nice. The big areas I think he can improve are:

1. Less reliance on dribbling to score or create for others.
    2. A more balanced floor game that is less dependent on ref whistles.
    3. More commitment on defense, particularly keeping his man in front of him.

RyanB, waytookrzy079, MikeT and 2 others like this.
  3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Harden needs to do as much as he can to ref-proof his game.

Yeah, I realize that's like asking a leopard to change his spots, but Harden is one of the smartest NBA leopards I've ever seen.

4. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Yea he’s left all that game behind by going down the lay up or three game. He CAN do all what he’s not doing. He did it here early and if you get a chance go YT his ASU days....AND he was not even close to to the shape he’s in now.

However good luck talking him out of his current game, hard to argue a friggin 60 point triple double, MVP, etc....

5. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

1-post up moves
    2-bring back his midrange step back
    3-work on stamina more, even though he has done great job with his body last season he can still improve

RyanB, waytookrzy079 and Why not? like this.
  6. jayfree

jayfree Member

I was just about to post something similar. I would love to see Harden work on a counter post game to mix up how they are guarding him. When Paul has the point he can switch from the two guard attack as well as post up his defender. Guys on the wings run and cut to get open for 3s still.

If only he knew a former Rocket player that could help him with this development. Hmmmmmmmm!

RyanB, waytookrzy079 and Why not? like this.
  7. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

He's so strong if he could develop a solid post game he would be unstoppable. The post now days is a hell of a lot less physical than back in the day and I believe it would help him with his stamina issues also.

8. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I’d like to see him add some cutting and off ball stuff

9. riko

riko Member

Harden was 10-16 from anywhere not named three point line which means he was ungurdable when he was attacking the rim but to jackup 13 threes is inexcusable.

There was no one on the Warriors who could guard him one on one when he attacked the bucket but to shoot “13 threes is a massive undoing of the efficiency. Harden is by far our best player but the shot selection is a issue. Outside of Lebron no one is better at attacking the rim .

He made strides at improving his defensive awareness this season so his shot selection is next.

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

Mentally, it's too easy to get him off his game. I think Harden should add little wrinkles, but I wish he would just get over things quickly.

topfive likes this.
  11. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

I listened to Warriors Wednesday Pod with Ethan Strauss and Marcus Thompson today. They said the Warriors knew that James could not hit the step back 3 going to his left, he hits them at a much higher percentage going to his right. Which is weird since James is left handed but thats the info they had on James. Maybe a step-back 3 going left. Also, Harden on the elbows would be fun.

12. HP3

HP3 Member

I agree with this, none of this mid range stuff plz

13. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Shot selection he was taking way too many contested 3's this year and that probably led to the crazy bad slump he had vs Warriors.

14. HP3

HP3 Member

another great suggestion

13BeardsIN1 likes this.
  15. Texanstradamus

Need to improve his right hand like his game is very good but limited step back and layups midrange post game would make him so much better than just taking contested 3s or hoping he get fouled on them

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Question: Does Harden's history of Ashma limit his conditioning?

Rocket River

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, he definitely gets in his own head too much when he's not getting calls.

18. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Was waiting for this response.
    And the ref-proofing comment

RyanB likes this.
  19. macan

macan Member

improve his conditioning, maybe he can learn some from Lebron after he joins the Rockets

RyanB and soysauce like this.
  20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Get in the game when the ball is not in your hands. Standing at half-court because you don't have the ball is unacceptable.

ceonwuka and Bearius Jones like this.