1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The next Larry Bird...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DeAleck, Jan 10, 2006.

1. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

If we're trying to be fair....

there was no SOFT in Larry Bird. He was not a 'shut down' defender but VERY few are - OTOH he was an excellent team defender as his steals attest. He was also an excellent rebounder in addition to his unquestionable other talents. Anyone who thinks that a guy with a CAREER stat line of 24+ppg, 10 rpg, and 6+ apg would be an also ran in today's game just doesn't understand basketball.

2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I like Adam Morrison, how many have seen him play? I think he's great, scores in a variety of ways, has an ok handle, and can pass some, leading the nation in scoring, but he doesn't hog the ball. I don't know if he's going to be a great pro, but he looks too good to be a bust, same with JJ Redick, they're not just spot up shooters. He's obviously not the next Larry Bird though...

A friend of mine who is involved in those High School All Star Leagues told me that he has noticed that the number of white Americans playing ball has declined over the years. He thinks it's because they don't believe they can be successful in it anymore, and their parents believe basketball is a black man's game now, complete with all those bad stereotypes, so they tend to steer them away from it. To me, it's funny because the US has been losing to caucasians in the Olympics and World Championships for years now, pro and youth, and there are a few Europeans that are MVP canidates in the NBA today, Steve Nash won one. The best basketball players, black or white, are the most skilled, not the most athletic, so all you white parents out there get your kids to start playing basketball again, it's not as bad as they say it is.

3. langal

langal Contributing Member

If it makes you feel better - Danny Manning was once the "next Larry Bird".

4. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

I think most white kids play baseball, and most black kids play basketball. Funny old world, id'n it?

5. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

and cleats!

6. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

Bingo. This is a larger reason than people realize. It's almost a self-fulfilling prophecy that propogates itself.

Many young white kids are going to pursue other things if they feel it's a 'waste of time' to invest themselves in competing.

Whether it be starting a garage band, swimming, cross-country, golf, tennis, or motorcross, many kids who (unbeknownst to all involved) may have the talent and athletic ability to excel at basketball may end up pursuing other interests they feel offer a better rate of success.

And that's sad. Because it does nothing but fuel stereotypes. And stereotypes do nothing but put limitations on those people who feed into them.

I absolutely hate the box that stereotyping puts people in. I cringe whenever I hear someone paint with broad strokes regarding blacks or hispanics. And, by the same token, I shudder when I hear whites spoken about in the same manner (many times by other whites who do because of subconscious, self-deprecating reasons).

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Dirk N has been called it many times.

8. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When he was a freshman at UK Padgett was compared to Bird.

9. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Did you see Bird play? You must not be old enough.

What separated Bird from others was his court vision and work ethic. He knew his limitations and played within them. On offense, we all know about his incredible jumpshot, especially in the clutch, which he could hit off a pick or on the run. But he had a special knack for finding the open man, almost like he had eyes in the back of his head. On defense, he was an adequate man on man defender and a very good team defender. Weakness: He was slow (not as slow as people now make him out to be) and didn't jump well. But somehow he managed to take the ball to the basket and draw fouls and he got plenty of rebounds, especially in crunch time.

When the game was on the line, it seemed like Bird would always "make a play", and it wouldn't always be an iso on offense. When he did isolate, the defender was forced to get in his face because he was 6'9 and could shoot from almost anywhere on the court. This is why he could go around players and drive to the basket.

I watched him a lot in college at Indiana State. He was pretty good but didn't show me the signs of his future greatness. He became great because he was a gym rat throughout his NBA career, a tireless worker who couldn't get enough practice. For golfers, think of Vijay Singh. This is ultimately what made him great. He made himself into the player he was. He physical gifts were only average but he wanted it more than others, in an extreme way.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Adam Morrison is a golden god.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I can tell if this thread is supposed to be about great white hypes or Morrison.

As for Morrison, I like his game a lot - does a bit of everything, can bang a little bit, can score all over the court and create, stays with the team concept, decent team defense, good character, etc. OF course, he doesn't have half the athleticism or speed needed for the league. He strikes me as a backup/fringe starter utility player at the next level. In the vein of Brian Cardinal or (at best) a Matt Harpring or Shane Battier.

As far as Larry Bird Juniors, I always felt like Detlef Schrempf was a guy that mirrored his game an awful lot (but obviously to a lesser degree). Dirk's got way more quickness and ability to slash (and a lot less defense and overall savvy). The biggest thing about Bird, besides his off-the-charts clutch-ness, was he had the highest basketball IQ in the game. I don't think anyone today comes close.

Evan

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

1978/79 Celtics: 29-53
    1979/80 Boston Celtics: 61-21

That's all you need to know about how good Larry Bird is.

13. emjohn

That, and they drafted him knowing ahead of time that he wouldn't come out for another year.

Evan

14. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Adam Morrison is overrated. I don't want any part of him. That guy will be average in the NBA (from what I have seen of him in the last 2 years).

I do not like doing the "next" thing but the closest thing to Larry Bird will be Josh McRoberts of the Duke Blue Devils.

His teammate Paulus will be the closest thing to the great Celtic PG Pistol Pete (Spedial mention - Kirk Hinrich).Well Paulu is more of playmaker than scorer.....

15. emjohn

Not to be a total dick here, but he played all of 26 games as a Celtic and that was at the very end of his career. He was a Hawk his first 4 seasons, than (as I usually picture him) on the Jazz for 5 and a half (traded to Boston his last season).

Evan

16. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

True. I was looking up his bio sometime back and I was surprised he only play for Celtics as an after thought after the Jazz gave up on him if I am not mistaken but the interesting thing is that I only remember his short stict as a Celtic. I blame that on NBA TV and highlights. :)

17. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

does Mike Miller fit that description out of college?

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

First, Bird and Magic essentially made the current NBA. There's no player today who will come close to Bird's long-term cultural and financial influence.

Second, Bird would dominate today's NBA. There's no current player that passes like him consistently, no current player with his court vision, no current player with his attitude (though a lot of folks pretend). Anyone that could go up to an opposing team before the game and tell them he was going to drop 40 and then go out and do it is a stud. He used to shoot 3-pointers with his eyes closed. There's not another player who would guarantee a victory and then walk away from the Three Point Contest before the winning ball swished. He could also trash talk with the best of them. On one Christmas Day game he yelled "Merry Christmas" to Chuck Person before the 3-pointer dropped in. And he was clutch.

His rookie year, the Celtics improved by 32 games... before McHale and Parrish arrived. He was the third person (Russell, Chamberlain) to ever win 3 straight MVPs. He was the first person to ever shoot over 50% from the field and 90% from the line in the same season. In Ruth-like fashion, the last regular season game of his career ended with 49 points, 14 rebounds, 12 assists, and 4 steals.

He was 2nd Team All Defense for 3 years. Not exactly a slouch. No, he couldn't lock down somebody like Dominique, but he could see what was about to happen before anyone else and get to the right spot or make the right decision. And he made clutch defensive plays (just ask Isiah Thomas).

His complete faith in himself (Cockiness, but it ain't bragging if you can do it) and his ability to bring out the best in his teammates made him a great player. You just knew he was going to do something spectacular in the closing moments to win the game. I hated him during the 80's as I always ended up rooting for the Lakers during the Finals clashes (probably because of the Rockets losses)... but even then I had to admit the guy was a helluva player. One of the best. And did I mention he was clutch?

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Morrison reminds me of Carmelo Anthony. Doesnt have any amazing attributes, but can do a little bit of everything, bang, and is good in the clutch. Similar size and style. But hes white. God forbid anyone think to compare a white person to a black person. Same with Bogut. When I saw him play I always thought David Robinson with less range and better passing. Of course the media has to compare him to someone white. I dont get it. Ah this was way off subject. Oh well.

20. langal

langal Contributing Member

Don't know if someone has posted this article yet:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=klosterman/060111