1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The next coach of the Houston Rockets is....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bo6, Nov 2, 2022.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Sam learned from Doc, not the best teacher.
    Mario’s been out of the game.
    JVG is ancient history.

Lucas or an assistant not named Hollins & Abdelfattah are an option OR an old fart who has not done much but puts bums in the seats at TC.

2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

how come abdelfattah not b given a chance? man shows he could coach the d-league to a championship, man must have experience with youngsters.

3. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Bring the man home!
    [​IMG]

fattz and Ancient Moabite like this.
  4. JW86

JW86 Member

Ow he’s the #1 guy I want, just not expecting he will get a shot here.

5. cml750

cml750 Member

They could sign high school coaches who would be better than Silas.

Nook likes this.
  6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

For the balance of the season - I'd go with Lucas.

for next year and to take over the develop process of the rebuild

1. Kenny Atkinson - great with young players and development; long-term solution
    2. Jacque Vaughn - will be hard to pry away from Nets now but would offer long-term solution
    3. Adrian Griffin - like his grooming under Nurse - defensive minded - long-term solution
    4. Kelvin Sampson - the basketball would be ugly - but given our rebounding - he'd make these guys scrappy and defensive minded and can get through to young players.. not sure how long he has left in the tank coaching but could feasibly be a long-term solution
    5. Terry Stotts - will raise the bar over sir smiles (not hard to do) but short term solution for 2-3 development years

@Nook @Clutch what say you?

#106 studogg, Dec 23, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
  7. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

Kenny Atkinson for 3-4 years

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the next coach of the houston rockets will be the lowest paid coach in the league, just like silas

SamFisher likes this.
  9. studogg

disagree. Tilman reduced costs when it made sense too. The rockets are ahead of schedule with the talent they’ve accumulated in rapid succession. That’s likely to the detriment of the current coach and gm as it’s time to get steadies hands to guide the ship.

I’d be tempted to retain stone in an advisory capacity so he can learn more - but think both coach and gm are in over their heads when the fuse has already been lit (see what I did there?)

10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Highly likely Silas is fired in offseason IMO.

Realistic replacement ranking

1. Atkinson
    2. Sampson (Not sure he would leave UH)
    3. Sam I Am
    4. Hollins
    5. Abdelfattah

11. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Rebuilding years are not just about collecting data on players, but also your coaches. The smart move would be to fire Silas and give Abdelfattah the reigns post-all star break to see what he can do with these kids. Lucas would be a waste of time. We already know he is not HC material.

But that’s too much of a logical move for this FO. Fully expect the front office to do the exact opposite, and allow Abdelfattah to become the next Nick Nurse situation.

12. Ancient Moabite

You have to use Sam entire career on who he has learned from being around Rudy and Lue etc, Doc may be his most tenured but Cassell would bring what he has learned from all those coaches and moments played under others like G Karl etc

Cassell or N Nurse is who the Rockets should look into if they move on from Silas

Or if they really think outside the box they should reach out to coach K or P Hardaway or that former coach of Villanova

Aruba77 likes this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Kenny Atkinson hype is amazing - never forget the 2018-19 Nets and the fact they finished 42-40.

Always forget: every other team he had which was crap.

14. studogg

75-80% of coaching in the NBA is dependent on roster.

When did you become so negative on everything? you hate the roster, hate the gm, hate suggestions for alternatives suggesting this team is the pits and nothing can solve it. you're on board for a player in another city more flawed than DD's posting. What happened? Did you catch your wife cheating and accidently shoot your dog aiming for sancho's knees?

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Jay Wright would be amazing. I know Coogs fans will hate me, but I’ve wanted Kelvin Sampson to be the rockets head coach ever since he was our assistant. I think I’d pass on the drama of going after a coach K. But great suggestions!

If Nick Nurse is available, he and Sam would be on a very short list for me…along with some of great coaches we have at the college level.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  16. Ancient Moabite

Sampson slipped my mind and he should be on list as well, yeah coach K is more like pipedream thinking outside the box, but may as well dream big

Appreciate the feedback, great minds think alike

Aruba77 likes this.
  17. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Isn't Quinn Snyder available. I mean he's not a championship coach but he can take you to the playoffs.

18. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I would consider mark Jackson

Fulgore likes this.
  19. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

If it's Kenny Smith I'm going to flip some tables...

20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Gross.

I'd actually take Stan Van Gundy first.

Kelvin Sampson would be legit. Coach K would probably flop but he's used to dealing with young star types.