1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The next coach of the Houston Rockets is....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bo6, Nov 2, 2022.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm trying to figure out why so many people here like Snyder. He had ample talent and time in Utah to take that Jazz team somewhere and failed every year. Good regular seasons (.585), disappointing playoffs (.412). If he couldn't get Mitchell, Gobert, Conley, Clarkson, Bogdanovic, Ingles, Favors, etc. anywhere, why on earth would anyone think he'd accomplish anything with our roster? o_O

For that matter, has there ever been a high-quality NBA coach who played college ball under Coach K?

#241 topfive, Jan 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    Amel, Rolliepollie and groovemachine like this.
  2. JW86

JW86 Member

Yes, I can get behind this!

fattz likes this.
  3. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Look at Rudy Gobert this year. Pure trash. He somehow got Rudy to play well enough for some idiot team to trade 5 firsts for him. Such a flawed player you can't win with a guy like that making that kinda money no matter how good of a coach you are,

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I would be pretty amped about this list. There would be no possible outcome I would be completely disappointed in.

rhino17 likes this.
  5. Rolliepollie

Rolliepollie Member

Which candidate do you think would develop our best player Josh Christopher the most on this list?

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's a very good question. I feel like Quin Snyder did well with a clearly inferior talent in Donovan Mitchell. So I think I'll go with him.

7. Rokman

Rokman Member

Calvin Murphy. He'd have him whipped into All-Star shape AND teach him how to dress like a washed up pimp by December guaranteed.

topfive likes this.
  8. myronm

myronm Contributing Member

You are funny!

9. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like the idea of giving Abdelfattah a shot. What was the point of bringing him up from RGV if not to get him prepared for a shot at the HC job. I think these older, more expensive retreads are where you turn when you’ve got a veteran team that’s underperforming, or you need someone to manage egos. Abdelfattah Is more of a teacher and everything seems to indicate he has the stuff to get it done. I think the natural progression would be to go with him. That’s who I’m pulling for.

topfive likes this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Don't overlook the fact that he's probably Tilman's least expensive option.

theDude likes this.
  11. TimDuncanDonaut

^ this. He maximized Gobert. Finch is having this problem right now (using Rudy), even in regular season.

Just recently, Rockets played the Wolves back 2 back, they got us with the small line up (no Rudy) in the first game. When Rudy returned, even the lowly Rockets got a win 2nd game to end the long losing streak.

Snyder spent lot of time developing Donovan. Mitchell was a mid rounder (13th). In a redraft, Mitchell would be top 5. Snyder should get credit for the 4-5 yrs on Mitchell.

Also in his tenure we've seen Snyder having a DEF oriented team, then 2nd half of Rudy/Donovan era an OFF team. Toward the end they were like top attempts at 3's (a la Rockets). He's a two way coach and adapts play styles to the players.

Lastly, his reputation is that he's super detail oriented. Something our youngsters need.

One legit criticism is that he hasn't gone far in the playoffs. That Jazz squad overachieved because of the coach. He made them looked better than they are.

If we can get him, he should be considered for development. If down the road, the team wants to pivot for playoffs, that's fine. Quinn doesn't have to be the only candidate, but should be among the finalists.

#252 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    Mr Woods likes this.
  12. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, even without calling Tilman cheap. Why spend a lot of money on someone who might have previous success but isn’t really right for this team? Spend big money on a coach when you have already spent big on your players and you are trying to get cohesion and protect your sunk costs. You have the opportunity to allow Abdelfattah to grow with the team.

topfive likes this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Steve Nash is available :cool:

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

actually the Sengunatics ought to be pushing to bring Kevin McHale back. I'm serious.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I really like Mahmoud and I want it to be him. But I’m not sure if a rookie coach is a great fit for a team that has a bunch of kids playing.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If we are fortunate enough to draft Wemby, we don’t have time to spare. Every player that is 7’4” and taller has limited minutes by the time they’re 30 and are out of the league by early 30’s. There aren’t exceptions. If we get that guy, everyone needs to go all in immediately to win as quickly as possible. He will be a force for a long time…then he will be a force for 60 games…and then he will be a force with limited minutes…and we don’t have the time we had with Hakeem to get it right around him…that includes coach and supporting cast.

If we can’t draft Wemby, take the long game.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It's John Lucas and it will be at the All Star break.

DD

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I can see that.

Say what u want about Kevin McHale, he knows how to ride off the back of greatness. Man will give his full support to the player that ensures him success.

He can't coach but he's good at relying on his star player to carry him.

19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I'd want it to be one of:

Adelman the Younger
    Synder
    JVG (if we got the right pick in the draft I feel like he'd entertain the notion)
    Nurse if he gets fired