1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The newest Rocket: Brodric Thomas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

Liked what I saw of this kid in limited minutes. Could be nice as an emergency end of bench guy to soak up some PG minutes. Do we have the roster room though?

D-rock likes this.
  2. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Yes, we can fit him into our two-way spot.

Bo6, D-rock, saleem and 1 other person like this.
  3. dookiester

dookiester Member

would be a shame if the rockets didnt find a way to keep this guy and get him some minutes. out of all the prospects on this team (other than bruno), this guy could be the biggest contributor given his offensive and defensive abilities. not to mention its nice to have an athletic wing who can dunk so that 34 year old gerald green isnt the only guy who looks to punish the rim.

D-rock likes this.
  4. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

It’s crazy all the the young talent the Rockets got in just one off season.

As opposed to old-ass Melo and Joe Johnson. Now do you guys understand why I hated those moves so much? When young underrated talent is always out there?

Morey and especially D’Antoni may be all-time overrated.

Bo6, saleem and rockbox like this.
  5. eman

eman Contributing Member

I'm tired of guys showing us how good they clearly are, we cut them, and they go on to excel elsewhere. Play this guy! Increase his sample size! Give him a chance in real minutes! Don't blow it!

TexAg713 and charlieaustin like this.
  6. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

The problem was MDA. His small rotations really hurt the future. I kinda get why Morey and ownership were so quick to trade 1st rounders for LTS every year if they knew MDA would not grow young talent. It doesn’t excuse their actions but it helps to understand why they would consistently jettison young options for vets.

Bo6 and HP3 like this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes, MDA's short rotation was a problem. But it (not developing young talents) has been like that before MDA's time here. Most coaches are short-sighted in terms of developing players. Their job is not player development. It's winning. It's natural for them to use players who they think are more reliable which most of the times are the veterans.

Morey has a history of cutting young players or trading them before they developed. My hunch is that Morey, having no playing or coaching experience, does not have the instinct in recognizing potentials. He relies heavily on analytics. I love analytics and smh on those "old school" people who think it's a gimmick. Analytics is what gave Morey the edge 10 years ago when very few GMs are using it. But analytics is only as good as the data. Veteran players have larger sample sizes to gauge their values. Young players don't. I think that's also why Morey's drafting records in the first round aren't that impressive. He'd rather use draft picks and young players as trade assets.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yet, Morey actually FOUND these players.

Not bad for having zero "instincts".

Not sure why we cannot enjoy our bounty without having to shower negativity on what was actually a positive, the identification of young players with potential.

Lowery, Dragic, Parsons, Beverley, Capela, Harrell, Covington, Wood, Melton - were all brought in by Morey.

Silas is a proven developer so he would have been an excellent partner with Morey in this area.

And getting back to Brodric, he deserves a spot on active roster over KJ.

But KJ will gain that spot undeservingly because he was the greater financial investment (1M for SRP + 4 year contract), so the more thing change ...

HP3 likes this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

How many of those stuck around for more than two years and had significant contributions? I counted 4 (Lowry, Parsons, Beverley, and Capela). So four young players over how many years?

Morey was actually very good at bringing tons of young guys in. But only very few actually stayed. Most of them were not NBA materials and were let go. Those that made the team majority were traded away before they became rotation players. Last season's roster was almost entirely acquired through trades or veteran FA market. The only young players I can think of were Hartenstein and Clemons.

I do hope Silas is good at getting some young talents developed. And Thomas looks like a keeper to me.

10. Chasing_Chase

Chasing_Chase Member

Really hope we can see this guy get some time, I thoroughly enjoyed his dunk yesterday.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

A guy comes in, makes a dunk, and CF wants to crown him Kelvin Cato. :D

Corrosion likes this.
  12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I love this kid's potential. I hope the Rockets don't cut him & then have to chase him in free agency with a big contract after he balls for another team in 4 years.

D-rock likes this.
  13. HP3

HP3 Member

They left because Daryl was always trying to get better to contend with James Harden right now.

D-rock likes this.
  14. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

We can’t blame Morey for McFail unless it was his call to hire him. MDA we all know the story there. I thought Slick Rick was pretty good at developing the talent that Morey provided him.

Easy, D-rock and HP3 like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

A dunk AND a 3ball.

:D

Scarface likes this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Damn. He can shoot 3's and has incredible athleticism. My bad. Max contract. :D

Scarface likes this.
  17. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

[​IMG]

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He traded Marcus Morris in his second year for a second round pick. He waived Covington after one year of D-league play. He waived Lin and kept Jonny Flynn and had to use a poison pill contract to get Lin back after Linsanity.

Morey is a great GM. But judging which young player will develop is not his strong suit.

HP3 likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

House is 6'6 so not counted with players numbering OVER 6'6.

HP3 likes this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

Lots of organizations whiff on young players. The fact, finding young talent is a crap shoot. Daryl made a lot of trades to improve teams on the fly. We didnt really have the time frame to develop talent here. He's probably better about judging talent now than he was then or at the very least, he'll have time in the future to better develop them.

D-rock and Easy like this.