1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The New and Improved Trevor Ariza

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by petechillcutt, Mar 22, 2010.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

We're not talking about future salaries here. We're talking about present day salary. Discussing his salary in 4 years is meaningless because we don't know what the cap/tax/inflation will be. TODAY, Ariza is not a $7 mil player. And he shouldn't be treated as one.

2. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

With Kevin Martin, Ariza can finally stick to his comfortable role. Because before Martin came to Houston, Ariza was forced to do more than he can. But Kevin Martin takes the scoring load and ball handling duties away from Ariza.

Thank God Morey acquire Martin, Hill and two first rounders for basically Landry.

3. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Cool, you said there is a number of players that plays better than Ariza at half his contract, when asked the name, you listed this players.

So after telling you that those players are in their rookie contract, you are now saying that players can average Ariza's numbers if they play as much as him and shoot as much?

Whats next?

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I like how he said thanks for playing as if he just ended the debate by making some open ended assertion with no evidence

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Not quite. I said there are players who are as good as Ariza who make half the money. I was asked to name some players so I did. You came in and mentioned that they are on their rookie contracts which changes absolutely nothing that I said. My entire point was that you can get Ariza's production/talent for much less money. You can feel great about yourself for thinking you proved me wrong but you didn't. Have you ever heard of the NBA draft or a thing called a trade? Morey absolutely has shown that he can get high quality players from the draft or through trades for cheap.

You then went on to post his stats and conveniently left out the number of minutes he plays, number of shots he takes and his field goal percentage.

Nice try.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I said that because earlier I said you can get Ariza's production for half his salary and then gave examples of comparable players who make half or less of what Ariza makes. Sure, whether or not those players are equal or better is a subjective but so is every other opinion on this board and the numbers back me up. This guy comes in and proceeds to tell me why they make less money which had nothing to do with what was being discussed.

Thanks for your participation. ;)

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Epic fail?

SOOO hypothetical.

I could equally say "Ariza will average 24ppg on 50% shooting next season since he'll be comfortable with his role"

It's ridiculous.

Find a non-rookie scale player who produces what Ariza is this season (we could even widen the criteria to "on a winning record team") - then you might have an argument?

As it stands, you look silly.

8. choujie

choujie Member

Very very poor examples. 8.8/3.2/2.7 and 8.7/2.8/1.7 don't compare to 15/5.6/3.7, and those guys are on rookie contract, which shouldn't even been brought into conversation because they were never available to sign without losing assets for any team.

Any time you get a 15/5/4 young player with length and athletisizm who also plays defnese for MLE is a steal in today's market.

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Oh wait - I just found the place where you listed the 'comparable players'

Are you kidding me?

Ronnie Brewer is significantly worse in EVERY category except FG% and 3pt%.

Oh - and he's on a rookie scale contract. Be interesting to see what he gets when it finishes?
    Oh - and Brewer never played in the playoffs, nor won a ring, nor starred at that level.
    Oh - and Brewer is 2 months OLDER than Ariza.

Aaron Affalo :rolleyes:

His numbers are HALF of Ariza's. Oh - in same cases a third.

But at least he's 4 months younger than Ariza?

If you think those are comparable examples, then that really just goes to show how much delusional failure to grasp reality you are currently experiencing.

/endrant.

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Hunchback, forward leaning Trevor Ariza

Trevor Ariza tends to hunch over when he gets down into his stance and favors leaning forward when playing offense (especially on wide open looks). I think by not keeping his back straight when he is handling the ball, it makes more difficult for him to change direction or to stop. And his forward lean tends to get him off balance on some of his wide open 3-point shots.

These are just some of the things the Rockets training staff needs to work with this offseason.

11. luisantonio1014

He shouldn't handle the ball at all. His moves are slow, awkward, and very predictable. he just needs to be a spot shooter. It's like his body is not made for playing basketball.

12. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

I think he simply lacks coordination.
    And from what I understand, coordination is a hard thing to teach.
    I would assume it's one of those things you're born with and can slightly improve in limited ways.

Coordination is a big part of the difference between the Trevor Arizas (average players at his size) vs. the Tracy McGradys and the Lebron James (who are of equal height & length).

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

[​IMG]

#93 kaleidosky, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  14. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

He had some good drives last night... crossed over Kevin Durant at least once!

He's not a prime time ball-handler, but he's good for the occasional slash into the lane. That's why we got him; for his ability to hit the 3pters, and for his ability to make the right decision to slash to the basket on certain possessions. That's what he displayed last year, and that's what earned him his contract. Don't change him into a spot-up shooter only... The diversity is what makes him good.

But yes, I'm sure the coaching staff would like to work on his stance.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You're right. People that are 6'8" with a swingspan of over 7 feet aren't suited to play ball.

16. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

mad played out

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He lacks normal coordination/athleticism, it holds him back

19. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Athleticism? are you serious?
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-tygpWwu6Is&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-tygpWwu6Is&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>